the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

Heart's "Little Queen" is one of my fave albums. "Dream Of The Archer" is platinum rock.

Amazing album, perfect from start to finish. Great mixture of balls-out rock and gentle acoustic.

Love Alive is one I can't stop playing...beautiful vocals :wub:

Heart's "Little Queen" is one of my fave albums. "Dream Of The Archer" is platinum rock.

Amazing album, perfect from start to finish. Great mixture of balls-out rock and gentle acoustic.

Love Alive is one I can't stop playing...beautiful vocals :wub:

"Treat Me Well" is a jewel of a song too :yes:

My random music thought for this morning:

Hotel California is actually a great album, front to back.

Also the riff in the beginning of Victim of Love packs so much punch, I love it!

My random music thought for this morning:

Hotel California is actually a great album, front to back.

Also the riff in the beginning of Victim of Love packs so much punch, I love it!

The Eagles may be annoying, but Hotel CA is a great great song. Kind of like Tom Sawyer, it never gets old.

And randomly speaking, Talking Heads were brilliant. Soooo many high quality songs. Too bad they couldn't keep it together.

Danny Kirwan. Another genius.

The talent that has passed through the ranks of Fleetwood Mac is frankly incredible.

Astonishing. Bob Welch, another unsung hero.

He was responsible for this song, a real gem IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7HmHmyrdYE

The talent that has passed through the ranks of Fleetwood Mac is frankly incredible.

YES!!! And the fabulous Sentimental Lady. Talented guy, RIP.

YES!!! And the fabulous Sentimental Lady. Talented guy, RIP.

And a much lesser known song that's really good too (I always really dug this tune):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vBI5C8JHdM

Yes, RIP Bob.

Edited by driventotheedge

Been on a huge black metal kick the past few days and I've found a ton of great obscure stuff. Any other black metal fans here? Edited by adace1

I wish Led Zeppelin weren't so popular and overplayed. I've been spinning some classic LZ vinyl today like the S/T, III, and IV and it is a sheer delight to listen to these, and I'm reminded what a studio genious Jimmy Page was.
  • Like 2

I wish Led Zeppelin weren't so popular and overplayed. I've been spinning some classic LZ vinyl today like the S/T, III, and IV and it is a sheer delight to listen to these, and I'm reminded what a studio genious Jimmy Page was.

Aye, he certainly was a genius. PG NEVER gets stale, what a dizzying display of delights on offer :D-13:

• Like 2

Listened to Rammstein "Ich Tu Dir Weh" today, and my daughter sang the lyrics. Not the chorus only- the entire song. Word for word.

She turns 3 in 7 days.

0_o

whoops!! LOL ;)

It was awesome lol

I'm obsessed with the Musical Box by Genesis.

The little riff he plays after "Play me my song". Ugh. Gets me every time.

The end. :D

• Like 2

I'm obsessed with the Musical Box by Genesis.

The little riff he plays after "Play me my song". Ugh. Gets me every time.

The end. :D

Not a big Genesis fan but that is one amazing track from start to finish. Infact gonna play it now :D-13:

• Like 1

Radiohead is the best live band in the world. BAR NONE.

YES! Every now and then I check out Planet Telex at Belfort '97 on YouTube; never gets old.

Yeah, exactly. It's hard to appreciate IV as it should be b/c the songs have been so overworked by FM radio.

Black Francis is the greatest screamer in rock history.

I have a couple old Alfas (they're all old over here) with stock cassette players that allow me to listen to cassettes I'd recorded twenty or more years ago. I love the mixes because they're like time capsules. Stumbled across "Old Black Dawning" on one the other day; God that song is surreal it's so good.

Big Star is the greatest American rock band nobody's heard of.

Yes, we are indeed musical doppelgängers. I agree with everything you've written. Though of course, musical types of a certain ilk have heard of Big Star/Alex Chilton, like The Replacements, Teenage Fanclub, Yo La Tengo, The Bangles, those quasi-goth avant gard British alternative types heard on This Mortal Coil's It'll End in Tears (IOW, mostly those who were picked on in high school and so spent their free time playing guitar in a garage). If you haven't heard It'll End in Tears (though you probably have), check it out and you'll find both Kangaroo and Holocaust (Hol. sung by Howard Devoto of Buzzcocks and Magazine fame -- oh the memories) covered. Song of the Siren by Jeff Buckey's dad Tim is covered as well (sung by Elizabeth Frazier of Cocteau Twins). Great album. Anyway, I thought it was cool that "Hanging Out" (a cover of) was used for That '70s Show, though most people didn't/don't know what they are hearing. Too bad neither Chris Bell nor Alex is still around.

Correction, by "Hanging Out" I meant "In The Street" (right song, wrong title)

Edited by Rutlefan

There's a really cool movie made a few years ago named "Moon" starring Sam Rockwell as a lone (sort of) astronaut/contract miner working on, naturally, the moon. Along with Gattaca, my favorite sci-fi from the last 20 years (in the vein of another favorite: Silent Running with Bruce Dern).

There's a really cool song of the most recent Church album (Untitled #23) named "Lunar". Though the lyrics have absolutely nothing to do with the movie or the actual moon (or anything else that I can identify), the title and mood still remind me of this movie. I loved the song from the first, but the last few weeks I can't seem to get it out of my head (though I'm not trying).

Edited by Rutlefan

Big Star is the greatest American rock band nobody's heard of.

Yes, we are indeed musical doppelgängers. I agree with everything you've written. Though of course, musical types of a certain ilk have heard of Big Star/Alex Chilton, like The Replacements, Teenage Fanclub, Yo La Tengo, The Bangles, those quasi-goth avant gard British alternative types heard on This Mortal Coil's It'll End in Tears (IOW, mostly those who were picked on in high school and so spent their free time playing guitar in a garage). If you haven't heard It'll End in Tears (though you probably have), check it out and you'll find both Kangaroo and Holocaust (Hol. sung by Howard Devoto of Buzzcocks and Magazine fame -- oh the memories) covered. Song of the Siren by Jeff Buckey's dad Tim is covered as well (sung by Elizabeth Frazier of Cocteau Twins). Great album. Anyway, I thought it was cool that "Hanging Out" (a cover of) was used for That '70s Show, though most people didn't/don't know what they are hearing. Too bad neither Chris Bell nor Alex is still around.

Regarding "Holocaust", have you heard Yoko Ono's "Mrs. Lennon"? Alex Chilton surely did!

I like This Mortal Coil, but they never got a lot of play on my music rotation. There's so much music out there!

"I like This Mortal Coil, but they never got a lot of play on my music rotation. There's so much music out there!"

And they quickly devolved into a forum for the 4AD b-squad; but the first album is notable (very cool at the time though admittedly dated now).