The Solar Eclipse on April 8th is coming! Are you in the path of totality? Planning on traveling to see it?

blueschica

I'm just curious!  We are in South central PA so we are not in totality.  The closest place would be Erie, about 5 hours away.  It might turn into a last minute road trip but not sure right now.  I have my cardboard glasses!  

https://nationaleclipse.com/maps.html

bK7UxNCl.png    pw1l4Ldm.png

• Like 2

cool, that's on my birthday

If you are not going to be in the path of the total eclipse, you can still see a portion of the eclipse. In Northern California when the eclipse reaches its max at 11:15 a.m. PDT, it will look like someone took a bite out of the sun with about two-thirds still visible.

^ i'll take a couple glances :) 

• Like 1

I am hoping to drive from Western Wisconsin to east of Indianapolis, where I will set up my telescope, only to be mocked by all the clouds covering the sky.  

• Like 2

I'll be able to see totality from my back yard. But since I live in WNY, that means there's only a 30% chance it won't be cloudy. I'll be willing to drive 2 hours in either direction to see it if it's clear there.

• Like 2

I was going to drive up to Dayton, OH to see it.  But real life got in the way.

So will watch it happen 3 times via NASA's streaming channel instead.   Sigh.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grep said:

I was going to drive up to Dayton, OH to see it.  But real life got in the way.

So will watch it happen 3 times via NASA's streaming channel instead.   Sigh.

That's my fallback too!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

cool, that's on my birthday

If you are not going to be in the path of the total eclipse, you can still see a portion of the eclipse. In Northern California when the eclipse reaches its max at 11:15 a.m. PDT, it will look like someone took a bite out of the sun with about two-thirds still visible.

^ i'll take a couple glances :) 

I've seen 2 before where it was like that.  It's really cool if you are near a place where there are shadows of tree leaves on the ground, or something like that.  The partial eclipse will make a bunch of teeny crescents for the shadows and it looks pretty interesting!  

• Like 3

I'm in Central Arkansas, it'll be visible in my town for a very short period. There's going to be events for it and everything, my whole town is gearing up for an eclipse that will only last a few minutes.

• Like 1

Politicians along the way are creating a false panic (ala SNOWMAGEDDON!) by telling people they should stock up on some supplies because of the expected large influx of tourists. Like those tourists will stay more than a day or 2 if they even show up.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jamie said:

I'm in Central Arkansas, it'll be visible in my town for a very short period. There's going to be events for it and everything, my whole town is gearing up for an eclipse that will only last a few minutes.

It's supposed to be really interesting,  my sister drove 2 states away the last time and slept in the car in a Dunkin Donuts parking lot to be able to see it get all dark.! (Although I think she liked the donuts just as much :biggrin:)

• Haha 1

I'm in Central Texas, where I'm located it will be visible for about 3 minutes. Got my glasses ready for the day of the eclipse.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Principled Man said:

I am hoping to drive from Western Wisconsin to east of Indianapolis, where I will set up my telescope, only to be mocked by all the clouds covering the sky.  

I bet it will work out!  That's a great plan!   :thumbsup:   We are invited to a friend's in Cleveland, probably won't go because we used to live there and it was always cloudy by the lake!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blueschica said:

It's supposed to be really interesting,  my sister drove 2 states away the last time and slept in the car in a Dunkin Donuts parking lot to be able to see it get all dark.! (Although I think she liked the donuts just as much :biggrin:)

You need to get out into the wilderness where the light pollution isn't in evidence. Out where the bed bugs bite!

• Haha 1

It’s passing right over my parents’ house, and of course I can’t get home that day to see it, lol.

• Like 2

I’m about three hours south of totality, and I’m debating whether to take the day off and make the drive. My sister-in-law lives in our north of Syracuse and because of the expected cloud cover. They are going to be one of the few clear areas. The town is bracing for an absolute zoo. They’re expecting the freeway to be a parking lot from Syracuse up to Watertown.  I may try to sneak up to Montpelier from the Worcester area.

• Like 1

I hope that everyone who wants to see totality has good weather!  We decided to stay home because 9 hours in the car on the backroads of PA is a bit much for a Monday, but my daughter is going to Erie!  (If she can get there, they are expecting a ton of people also!). Our other daughter is in Rochester NY for a long weekend, I hope it's not too cloudy there!  

We will have about 93 percent coverage here in south central PA so it will be interesting to see that, anyway!

• Like 1

No road trip for me.  :sad:  I get to stay home and pray to the clouds, beseeching them to be gone for a while.  Seeing an 80% eclipse is a lot better than no eclipse!

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 2:58 PM, BastillePark said:

Politicians along the way are creating a false panic (ala SNOWMAGEDDON!) by telling people they should stock up on some supplies because of the expected large influx of tourists. Like those tourists will stay more than a day or 2 if they even show up.

Many have not seen "Lisa the Skeptic" from the 97-98 season of The Simpsons and it shows. :facepalm:

• Like 2