Curmudgeon alert - am I alone in this?

Timbale

I'm a big Rush fan, and am super excited to read Geddy's book.  In fact, of the three members, his perspective is the one I have wanted to hear the most. Love the guy. Love love love him.

But having watched some clips from the first two book tour shows… I'm actually kind of happy I didn't shell out for a ticket.

I just can't take the way everyone has to applaud everything, or be performative about making it clear they're a big fan (despite the fact that their attendance should be proof enough).

Geddy - "We were recording Hold Your Fire..."  "WOOT!! Yeah!!" ..."and I was playing a bass called the Wahl..."  "WOOOHOO!!  EEEEAAAH!"  Jesus.  Just shut up already.  😉😬

People needing to yell every time someone says something they recognize or like is so damn annoying to me.  I honestly would be going out of my skin at one of these shows.

Can't wait to read the book.  In silence.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Timbale said:

I'm a big Rush fan, and am super excited to read Geddy's book.  In fact, of the three members, his perspective is the one I have wanted to hear the most. Love the guy. Love love love him.

But having watched some clips from the first two book tour shows… I'm actually kind of happy I didn't shell out for a ticket.

I just can't take the way everyone has to applaud everything, or be performative about making it clear they're a big fan (despite the fact that their attendance should be proof enough).

Geddy - "We were recording Hold Your Fire..."  "WOOT!! Yeah!!" ..."and I was playing a bass called the Wahl..."  "WOOOHOO!!  EEEEAAAH!"  Jesus.  Just shut up already.  😉😬

People needing to yell every time someone says something they recognize or like is so damn annoying to me.  I honestly would be going out of my skin at one of these shows.

It's why Neil avoided such events like the plague.  

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Timbale said:

That would bother me too, I guess the people are just excited to have a connection with Rush in person again?  But, yeah, I would be thinking settle down!  I didn't have to make the decision this time since am currently too busy to go and also got to see him at a BBBB event, thankfully.

• Like 3

I feel you.

Last night I paid $7 to quietly watch the University of Nevada symphony  perform Beethoven, Puccini,  and Strauss.  More my style these days.  :biggrin:

• Like 5

Well, it's hard not to be excited, 8 years after we saw him last.

And it's like any one-man show. You laugh, you clap. Like Dave Grohl or Bono's show.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Rush Didact said:

I haven't watched any video of the events so far, so that's disappointing to hear.  I hope the Massey Hall show isn't like that...

Not trying to ruin anyone's buzz… I'm sure it's going to be super fun.

• Like 3

I haven't watched any of these things but I have enjoyed the CBC interviews he has done - that's all I need.

I just went to TicketMaster for the Massey Hall event and first off, am surprised it's being held at such a large venue and then completely blown away at the prices of tickets from $120 up to $600 for front row - not re-sale. Yikes. This is the kind of thing I might have considered if it was at the local bookstore and free

I understand it when he mentions an album or song. People want to show their appreciation for it. Much like they would have at a concert. Cheering for the equipment he used might be a bit much though. Ultimately, fans haven't seen him in a while and it's ok for some to fanboy/girl out if they want to as long as it's not completely taking over the show.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fridge said:

People who hoot and holler at ant event for any reason should be lined up against a wall and executed by firing squad......

:clap: Yesssss!!!!  SO TRUUUE!!!  :pirate:

Wait...

• Haha 2

Be happy for them. & The one man show known as Ged............

I, like many people, re-discovered a lot of the catalog of songs during the Pandemic years.

I hate admitting this but one of my favorite concerts featured a mosh pit so large and unruly I didn't jump into it. I was glad everyone was feeling the music, but I opted to relax by a barricade. LOL As long as everyone is having a good time, what is there to be angry about....?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fridge said:

People who hoot and holler at ant event for any reason should be lined up against a wall and executed by firing squad......

I love it when you talk draconian.   :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There were plenty of quiet moments, too.

And the applause, not like Paul Rudd was standing there holding up an "APPLAUSE" sign. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fridge said:

If you listen to the bootlegs of the Darien Lake show on the VT tour, you'll hear a really high-pitched and obnoxious "WOO!" right smack in the middle of the pause at the emotional peak of Resist, when Ged and Al and the whole rest of the audience is dead silent.

That woo is 17 year old me, who was absolutely mortified by what he did and instantly regretted it. I'm sure everyone around me was annoyed, but now when I listen to that bootleg it makes me smile and remember how exciting it was to be at my first Rush show (and my first big rock concert too).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rush Didact said:

If you listen to the bootlegs of the Darien Lake show on the VT tour, you'll hear a really high-pitched and obnoxious "WOO!" right smack in the middle of the pause at the emotional peak of Resist, when Ged and Al and the whole rest of the audience is dead silent.

That woo is 17 year old me, who was absolutely mortified by what he did and instantly regretted it. I'm sure everyone around me was annoyed, but now when I listen to that bootleg it makes me smile and remember how exciting it was to be at my first Rush show (and my first big rock concert too).

Hahaha, amazing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigMontanaSKY said:

Be happy for them. & The one man show known as Ged............

I, like many people, re-discovered a lot of the catalog of songs during the Pandemic years.

I hate admitting this but one of my favorite concerts featured a mosh pit so large and unruly I didn't jump into it. I was glad everyone was feeling the music, but I opted to relax by a barricade. LOL As long as everyone is having a good time, what is there to be angry about....?

Yeah, I'm not really angry...being a little bit playful...BUT, there is something that rubs me the wrong way about it.  There's something in it that seems to be about people trying to "prove" themselves to be a "real" fan - like, yeah, dude - you know what Bytor & The Snowdog is...we all f**king do. Where the hell do you think you are? It's a gathering of fans who have paid hundreds of dollars… You don't have some inside knowledge that you need to let me, the guy sitting next to you, know about.  It's very possible that I am wrong about this… But the yelling out "Woo!" at some quiet moment when it will stand out and be heard (as opposed to being at a rock show and cheering) just seems like really narcissistic behaviour to me.

And honestly… Having that kind of environment where everyone cheers and whoops for every reference or mention creates a certain vibe in terms of the conversation that is happening that becomes a little bit more about pandering to the audience itself. There are a lot of podcasts that I like where are my least favourite episodes are always the ones where they do an ep in front of a live audience. Everything becomes a bit of an inside joke… And there's a certain amount of playing to the audience to get laughs or whatever reaction that makes it a way less interesting listen for me. 

• Like 4

This is not entirely the same, but I was fortunate enough to see Rush live 44 times among the countless big arena rock shows I saw by tons of bands, and one show in particular, almost positive it was in San Antonio, was so frustrating because the guy behind me yelled "Tom Sawyer!!!! Tom Sawyer!!!!" between every song throughout the show for almost three hours. As each song was winding down he would start yelling that in my ear and it took all the patience I had not to turn around and yell "What in the world is wrong with you????!!" :laugh:

So many thoughts...  Did this guy really buy a ticket and pay for expensive parking and fight traffic and such just to hear one song? Did he really think that they weren't going to play it if he didn't yell for it? Did he really think that Geddy would hear him at some point early in the show and spontaneously decide to change the setlist order on the fly to accommodate this guy? 

People are weird.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, snowdog2112 said:

This is not entirely the same, but I was fortunate enough to see Rush live 44 times among the countless big arena rock shows I saw by tons of bands, and one show in particular, almost positive it was in San Antonio, was so frustrating because the guy behind me yelled "Tom Sawyer!!!! Tom Sawyer!!!!" between every song throughout the show for almost three hours. As each song was winding down he would start yelling that in my ear and it took all the patience I had not to turn around and yell "What in the world is wrong with you????!!" :laugh:

So many thoughts...  Did this guy really buy a ticket and pay for expensive parking and fight traffic and such just to hear one song? Did he really think that they weren't going to play it if he didn't yell for it? Did he really think that Geddy would hear him at some point early in the show and spontaneously decide to change the setlist order on the fly to accommodate this guy? 

People are weird.

You're more patient than me. I've told annoying people like that to shut the f**k up at shows before. They're so shocked somebody said something they're usually quiet after that or if it's general admission they walk away.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, snowdog2112 said:

People are weird.

I call those people "radio Rush" fans. They know what they hear on the local FM station and that's what they hear the most. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BastillePark said:

I call those people "radio Rush" fans. They know what they hear on the local FM station and that's what they hear the most. 

Yeah, I get that and every band has them. People often complain that older bands play the same songs every tour (Rush was FAR better mixing things up than most) and I usually defend the bands because we all know that no matter the band, about 90% of the crowd is there to hear the same 10-12 songs they know from the radio or greatest hits albums and that's it. But to narrow it down to one song and then shout it for three hours is a special kind of weird. :laugh:

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, snowdog2112 said:

People are weird.

Grendel, lol.

• Like 1