Good Bad Vocalists

ST3V

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

oh for shure live i think that's true.  studio wise he can still hold his own.   because splicing exists, lol.

Mick

He’s also, what, 60 something? The human voice was never designed to keep doing Metropolis and Voices past like 40 years old. I think he’s a superhuman even coming close to where he used to be.

• Like 1

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

He’s also, what, 60 something? The human voice was never designed to keep doing Metropolis and Voices past like 40 years old. I think he’s a superhuman even coming close to where he used to be.

yea.  when you're singing the style he is and you tour every album without fail.  even the most trained voice is risking damage.

so i don't see how it's fruitful to criticize anyone who does singing as a living and touring on top of it.

like.....you get up and do it.  no really just try, lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I think their music became extremely pedestrian. Thankfully, he still growls live. And his growls are phenomenal, definitely a great talent he has to be so vocally diverse.

Disliking growled vocals is fine, but denying the all out brilliance of their early work is just ignorance as far as I'm concerned. 

I don't like Pink Floyd, but I can't deny their greatest work is astounding.

I don't doubt it's good lyrically and musically but I can't get past the growling. I'm not denying anything just that I can't stand that type of "singing" regardless of the band.

• Like 1

Just now, BastillePark said:

I don't doubt it's good lyrically and musically but I can't get past the growling. I'm not denying anything just that I can't stand that type of "singing" regardless of the band.

i like it more than i used to but don't love it still. it's MODERATLY better IMO.

Like i won't activily think "oh i want growls today" lol

and the whole it takes talent thing........thank you captain obvious.  won't change the fact i think it's tolerable at best.  at worst.....it's so silly.

"shurgs"

Mick

15 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yes.
Or perhaps The Used, Rise Against, etc on the more screamed end of the spectrum.

The Used album In Love And Death is one of my favourite albums for vocals ever.

That's not singing, that's PERFORMING. 

Sound Effects And Over Dramatics is one of the most insane songs on a mainstream rock album ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Akerfelt has a fantastic singing voice. He usually kills it when he covers Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Deep Purple

That's such a great track! Good example.

5 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Has anyone mentioned Billy Corgan yet?   

Covering Landslide was a terrible terrible choice. That man cannot sing that song.

8 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Covering Landslide was a terrible terrible choice. That man cannot sing that song.

You should have heard him sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame at Wrigley.   I literally don't think he can sing any song.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 7:06 PM, invisible airwave said:

Punk rock owns this category.

Strummer

Joey Ramone

Biafra

Rollins

Ness

Billie Joe

Dexter Holland

Exene Cervenka was the first singer that came to mind when I saw this thread.  Awful singer, but perfect for X

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 12:31 PM, ST3V said:

Vocalists that aren't conventionally good, maybe even conventionally bad, but who make their voice work well with the music that they play and the way they use their voice. 

A great example of this is Isaac Brock. Theres times where he's literally just screaming words but it compliments the music he writes so well that it appears to be good (whatever "good" even means). He's got a powerful voice, sometimes doing things I didnt even know the human voice could do.

"All conventionally good singers are alike, each conventionally bad singer is bad in their own way"--Tolstoy, maybe

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

No one has mentioned David Lee Roth?  Or Steven Tyler?

Steven Tyler is a fantastic singer, full stop.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Yeah, Tyler has never not had an outstanding voice. David Lee Roth is the shits as a vocalist though.

I dig Lee Roth personally but by conventional standards yes his voice isn’t pretty

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

No one has mentioned David Lee Roth?  Or Steven Tyler?

Point on a body map and tell me, where did Tyler hurt you?

He has one of the GREATEST rock n roll voices ever, period.

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Point on a body map and tell me, where did Tyler hurt you?

He has one of the GREATEST rock n roll voices ever, period.

I’m a huge Aerosmith fan.  Tyler’s voice is not technically good.  I happen to love it.  But that doesn’t make him a good singer.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

No he isn’t.  He’s a fantastic rock vocalist though.

I guess it's all about where you Draw the Line...

Yes, I thought about keeping that to myself.     Would have been the wiser move.

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

No he isn’t.  He’s a fantastic rock vocalist though.

i have to agree.  i'm answering this question like are they TECHNICALLY a good vocalist like literally technically. .  and it's a no on Tyler BUT again he's great at what he does. i feel people may not be answering the question as intended.

Mick

• Like 2

Stevie Nicks falls here too.  for the band she was in and what it required.  She's iconic.  but She's really not a great singer.

as evidance....today she sounds like a granny.  Granted some of that was the coke but it was also from screaming......and i mean veins popping screaming......Rhiannon in the 70's but hey some would say that was rock, lol

Meanwhile Dennis deyoung last i checked is near pristine cause he clearing took care of his instrument.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

i have to agree.  i'm answering this question like are they TECHNICALLY a good vocalist like literally technically. .  and it's a no on Tyler BUT again he's great at what he does. i feel people may not be answering the question as intended.

Mick

Spot on.  The converse, for me, is Freddie Mercury.  No question on his talent.  But aside from the greatest hits, for the most part, he's just not my thing.

Good is a not a synonym for "what I like."  At least in this context as I read it.

Edited by Rick N. Backer
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Spot on.  The converse, for me, is Freddie Mercury.  No question on his talent.  But aside from the greatest hits, for the most part, he's just not my thing.

Good is a not a synonym for "what I like."  At least in this context as I read it.

Mine is Geoff Tate.  I respect him the guy could for sure sing his ass off.  BUT his tone and what he does with his voice is not my cup of tea.

Mick

• Like 1