The Synth-Prog Battle of September 1987: RUSH - Hold Your Fire vs YES - Big Generator, which is best?

treeduck

The Synth-Prog Battle of September 1987: RUSH - Hold Your Fire vs YES - Big Generator, which is best?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you prefer, which one is better?

• RUSH - Hold Your Fire
    • YES - Big Generator

10 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

The one that doesn't have Tai Shan.

Found out a few years ago that my cousin saw them in concert when BG came out.  Don't remember the singles from that album like I did with Owner of a Lonely Heart.

Don't forget to vote.

Welcome to the RUSH forum ducky, lol.

Seriously though, even putting my massive Rush bias aside, Big Generator is such an afterthought of a record in Yes’ cannon. Basically the “oh, I guess what we did last time worked, better milk it for all it’s worth” record of their discography. HYF is absolutely a continuation of the album before it as well, but one born only out of continue interest in the predecessor’s sound, rather than a bit of that mixed with a bit of “big hit album follow up disease.”  Also, more simply put: HYF has Force Ten, TSS, and Mission, any one of which could suit a person’s top ten or twenty Rush songs and I wouldn’t bat an eye. Big Generator as, what? The Rhythm Of Love? I don’t hate it at all, it just feels so inessential after having already spun 90125 one bajillion times.

• Like 3

I truly despise the two albums Yes released post-Drama. Just can't get into them, I find them to be really, well, terrible. I had a moment when I played them a fair bit but they aged terribly for me and my tastes.

Hold Your Fire used to be my favourite Rush album. Its not anymore, but it's definitely deserving of being high on my list, and in my opinion, any list. But this is Rush, they don't have a shortage of great releases.

• Like 1

Oh, I remember it well, the fall of '87. Good times. I bought both albums (cassettes) from Sam Goody on day one, very excited about each. Both ultimately disappointed . . .

But it's HYF in a walk.

Much as I love Rush, HYF is, in my opinion, a total clunker of an album (only outscored on the naff-ometer by Presto).

Big Generator is not great, but it did not give me the crushing feeling of disappointment I felt when I listened to HYF for the first time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Big Generator has some decent songs on it.  HYF is awesome.  Easy vote for HTF.

:goodone:

• Like 1

While Permanent Waves and Hold Your Fire are very different albums, HYF is nearly PeW good. Big Generator is mid at best.

On 7/27/2023 at 11:37 AM, Nova Carmina said:

Oh, I remember it well, the fall of '87. Good times. I bought both albums (cassettes) from Sam Goody on day one, very excited about each. Both ultimately disappointed . . .

But it's HYF in a walk.

Despite living in a different country, and the name of the store being different too, that was my exact same experience ! 

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
Typo ( I’ve been up 17 hours ! 🙃)
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 2:07 PM, JohnRogers said:

While Permanent Waves and Hold Your Fire are very different albums, HYF is nearly PeW good. Big Generator is mid at best.

to me HYF isn’t even PoW good ! 🙃

.. which was so surprising to me at the time as it was the follow up album,  and from memory both were produced by Peter Collins.

Also if I remember correctly PC made amends though a few years later when he helped the boys become a Hard Rock group again with CounterParts ! :ROCK:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

to me HYF isn’t even PoW good ! 🙃

.. which was so surprising to me at the time as it was the follow up album,  and from memory both were produced by Peter Collins.

Also if I remember correctly PC made amends though a few years later when he helped the boys become a Hard Rock group again with CounterParts ! :ROCK:

You are correct on all points.

• Like 1

IMHO HYF has aged much better than BG.  At the time of release, I only knew Rush's radio hits and was a huge Yes fan.  Fast forward many years and fandom swap, and HYF is just a better overall album.  Prime Mover is one of my favorite Rush tracks.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, stoopid said:

IMHO HYF has aged much better than BG.  At the time of release, I only knew Rush's radio hits and was a huge Yes fan.  Fast forward many years and fandom swap, and HYF is just a better overall album.  Prime Mover is one of my favorite Rush tracks.

:clap:

4 hours ago, stoopid said:

Somewhat ironically, Shoot High Aim Low is one of my favorite Yes tracks. But it doesn't save or elevate an otherwise meh album.

I like the album but it's a bit disappointing overall. Not many people like Union it seems but I think it blows Big Generator away.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, treeduck said:

I like the album but it's a bit disappointing overall. Not many people like Union it seems but I think it blows Big Generator away.

Union has plenty of good cuts, with some very underwhelming ones mixed in. Wish Evensong was longer. 

• Like 1

I just listened to both back to back.  and i have to say i found on the Whole HYF to be a stronger album (side 1 KILLS it) BUT i also found some of BG'S highs to be higher

Shoot High Aim Low

Final Eyes

I'm Running (crazy song......i love it) 

Holy Lamb

HYF however has the advantage of a much better side 1 where BG fails hard at.

Force 10

Time Stand Still

Open Secrets

Second Nature

Prime Mover

I didn't think it's side 2 was as strong.

only highlight for me was Mission (keep in mind i'm not as into rush as i was so calculate that in)

and of course this album ends like a wet fart with High water (well i did say WET fart, lol)  and Tai shit.

So neither is their strongest work IMO.  but i go big Generator if only for side 2 which i love.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2023 at 6:43 AM, zepphead said:

Much as I love Rush, HYF is, in my opinion, a total clunker of an album (only outscored on the naff-ometer by Presto).

Big Generator is not great, but it did not give me the crushing feeling of disappointment I felt when I listened to HYF for the first time.

I probably like Big Generator more than you, but otherwise this.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2023 at 2:17 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Welcome to the RUSH forum ducky, lol.

Seriously though, even putting my massive Rush bias aside, Big Generator is such an afterthought of a record in Yes’ cannon. Basically the “oh, I guess what we did last time worked, better milk it for all it’s worth” record of their discography. HYF is absolutely a continuation of the album before it as well, but one born only out of continue interest in the predecessor’s sound, rather than a bit of that mixed with a bit of “big hit album follow up disease.”  Also, more simply put: HYF has Force Ten, TSS, and Mission, any one of which could suit a person’s top ten or twenty Rush songs and I wouldn’t bat an eye. Big Generator as, what? The Rhythm Of Love? I don’t hate it at all, it just feels so inessential after having already spun 90125 one bajillion times.

Final Eyes......that was the highlight of Big Generator for me. I’m Running and Aim High Shoot Low. The rest.....kinda paint by the numbers. 

Hold Your Fire is one of my top 10 Rush albums ever. I love it.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Duplicate 

Edited by Todem