Rest in Peace, David Gilmour..............the Millionaire business tycoon and founder of Fiji water.........

Principled Man

[ OK, OK.....so he's not "THE" David Gilmour.....]

David Gilmour, a Canadian-born entrepreneur who made millions in real estate and gold mining, but who remained best known for bringing a glamorous, square-edged approach to hydration as the founder of Fiji water, died June 11 at his home in Manhattan. He was 91.

The cause was cardiac arrest, said his wife, Jillian Gilmour.

By the time he came up with the idea for Fiji water in the early 1990s, Mr. Gilmour had amassed a fortune from his business ventures with Peter Munk, friend from his college days in Toronto. Together they launched a popular stereo company, Clairtone Sound; assembled a chain of more than 50 hotels across the South Pacific; and funneled their earnings into a Canadian oil company that evolved into the world’s largest gold mining business, Barrick Gold.

:glare:  :glare:

Edited by Principled Man

Well, that's not what I was expecting when I read the thread title.

RIP to the water magnate...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

Yes, I am indeed a dirty rotten…..:16ton:

It would have been worse to put it in the music forum.  Here, it wasn't guaranteed to be what most may have initially thought.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

I'm listening to John Fugelsang's SiriusXM radio show so I know it's not the real one.  It would be mentioned as breaking news immediately.  Speaking of which...

https://nypost.com/2022/10/19/mark-latunski-guilty-of-murdering-man-named-kevin-bacon/

Truth IS stranger - and more disgusting - than fiction.  

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Rest in Peace, David Gilmour..............the Millionaire business tycoon and founder of Fiji water.........

I`ve bought precisely as many bottles of Fiji Water as I have Pink Floyd records. 

And the ellipsis in your thread headline contain too many dots. Please remove all but three.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh wait, I see the title was changed from the original. So the original was just plain savage. That's even better, honestly, especially since it existed, but I didn't have to see it. 

• Haha 1

I think the best thing about sharing a name with a famous person would be that when you die, people will think...whew, thank God it wasn't the real (insert name here). 

• Haha 1

Just now, laughedatbytime said:

I think the best thing about sharing a name with a famous person would be that when you die, people will think...whew, thank God it wasn't the real (insert name here). 

"whew" was the very thought I had.

Dave's time is coming, for sure, and I don't know how much creative juice he has left, but it's still gonna' be a sad day when he's gone to play that great gig in the sky.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I`ve bought precisely as many bottles of Fiji Water as I have Pink Floyd records. 

And the ellipsis in your thread headline contain too many dots. Please remove all but three.

Technically an ellipsis is only 3 periods so that monstrosity up there is something else. :wink:

26 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

Technically an ellipsis is only 3 periods so that monstrosity up there is something else. :wink:

I figured his cat sat on the keyboard. 

• Haha 1

Even with the title edit my blood pressure went up about 20 points after parsing the first 5 words. 

• Haha 1

Ok it's actually good that this David Gilmour died, because screw Fiji water as a company, but the way my heart jumped when i read this title...............

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Yes, I am indeed a dirty rotten…..:16ton:

19 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

It would have been worse to put it in the music forum.  Here, it wasn't guaranteed to be what most may have initially thought.

As far as first impressions, where the thread is posted doesn't matter if you first see it in the Recent Topics sidebar, like I just did. All I saw at first was "Rest in Peace, David Gilmour."