So, about that Dave Grohl commercial.

invisible airwave

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I haven't gone to YouTube to check, but was the album Grohl held up something live? I didn't recognize it right away, so I thought maybe it was a single release or something from a bootleg?

It's a boot of one of the early Agora shows... first album tour I believe.  

Edit: More background.
It's either a soundboard or an FM.  Either way, folks don't have to buy that disc.  The show has been available in trading for years. Plus I think it's on the driveshare the peeps here pass around, and it pops up on Dime from, time to time.

There are 4 of them from that time period. All board/FM.  2 from the first album tour, 2 from FBN tour.   One of them, (forget which) is from Electric Lady Studios. The other 3 are the Agora. 

All freely available.

Edited by grep
  • Like 5

I haven't gone to YouTube to check, but was the album Grohl held up something live? I didn't recognize it right away, so I thought maybe it was a single release or something from a bootleg?

Rush Live On Air 1975-1980

3877.m.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grep said:

It's a boot of one of the early Agora shows... first album tour I believe.  

Edit: More background.
It's either a soundboard or an FM.  Either way, folks don't have to buy that disc.  The show has been available in trading for years. Plus I think it's on the driveshare the peeps here pass around, and it pops up on Dime from, time to time.

There are 4 of them from that time period. All board/FM.  2 from the first album tour, 2 from FBN tour.   One of them, (forget which) is from Electric Lady Studios. The other 3 are the Agora. 

All freely available.

Yes; in fact, I have several versions of that show I'm happy (eager, even!) to share with anyone who's curious.

• Like 2

That's a hot question this AM in the Rush Facebook group I'm in!  Concensus seems to be that it was a mock up made to look like the  Agora ABC 1974 bootleg cover, but using a slightly different photo by Fin Costello? I dunno, that's all I got. :laugh:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

On 2/14/2023 at 2:50 PM, taurus said:

If someone would have said there would be a shot of a Rush bootleg on a super-bowl commercial, I would have thought they were out to lunch 

That was initially very confusing but there must of been a hassle with the rights or something. Dave made it work I guess in a Zappaese beat the boots kind of way.

Wonder how many new Rush fans went nuts trying to find it.

• Like 1