Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas Bangalter - Mythologies (1/2 of Daft Punk composes a ballet? I’m not well versed in ballet but I know I like this)

Metallica - 72 Seasons (a few parts of about half the track list that I thought were pretty killer, and a handful of songs I’d say are worth their full runtime, but as an album this is mediocre modern metal)

Portrayal Of Guilt - Devil Music (just the polar opposite of the Metallica album, I definitely enjoyed this, especially the 2nd half which is just the same songs as the first half but done up with orchestral instruments in place of the guitars)

Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good! (Yes! It does!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rick N. Backer said:

My goodness.  I sincerely hope this is the dumbest thing you say today.

It's not dumb.  EVH was groundbreaking but too one dimensional.  This album is lazy other than a few songs.

Nothing is as dumb as your Kinks' comments though.

On 5/13/2023 at 11:08 PM, Cyclonus X-1 said:

Gentle Giant -- Interview

The Steven Wilson remix of Interview is out in June. I'm looking forward to hearing it!

Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues 

• Like 1

I'm very Kinks-ignorant, having heard nothing beyond a few radio hits. So as a result of the bickering here I read up on their discography a bit.

I was surprised to see a track called "Permanent Waves" on their 1978 album Misfits. But I was gobsmacked to find "Moving Pictures" in the tracklist of their subsequent 1979 album Low Budget.

This cannot be coincidence, can it? What's the lore here? Am I the last Rush nut on Earth to realize this connection?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Alanis Morrissette - Flavors of Entanglement 

Kinda gives me the same vibes as some of Anneke Van Giersbergen's music. 

Lana Del Ray sometimes gives me Anneke vibes as well

Bruce Springsteen- Western Stars 

There is so much beauty, depth and soul on display here. I will forever love Springsteen's back catalogue, but honestly his last two studio albums (not counting the covers album) aren't just great latter day albums, they rank amongst his masterpieces. Western Stars is as beautiful and absorbing as Born To Run or Darkness On The Edge Of Town. I love his break from politics, I love the scenery the songs conjure. I love the orchestrations, the soaring, Roy Orbison like melodies, how his voice sounds possibly the best it ever has in the studio...its just a perfect album.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Because the Kinks aren’t in the same solar system as the Beatles.  They’re not in the same solar system as Wings.

it's ok Rick no matter what others say to you i'll back you.  Kinks are nowhere NEAR the Beatles in ANY WAY.

Never got the appeal.

Mick

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

it's ok Rick no matter what others say to you i'll back you.  Kinks are nowhere NEAR the Beatles in ANY WAY.

Never got the appeal.

Mick

Likewise me with Bee Gees 💋

• Like 1