The Cat 3

Dan Fogelberg- The Innocent Age

• Like 1

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Fogelberg- Souviners 

Okay, can we all agree Dan is better than The Kinks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Dan Fogelberg- Souviners 

if the Cat were here he'd agree.  Not sure many others here know Dan or care, lol

Mick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Dan Fogelberg- Souviners 

🤔 think I need to check out some 

Dan.F :yes:

… with regards the Beatles v Kinks debate I’m sort of on the fence as I like both bands equally. 
whilst respecting their influence on later bands, I must confess I slightly prefer Wings over both the Beatles & the Kinks ! 😮😜

maybe this is because I’m more into music post ‘70 music in general and my fav 60s groups being Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience and the Doors. ( I know LZ’s first 2 albums came out in ‘69 but I really consider them to be a 70s band ) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

🤔 think I need to check out some 

Dan.F :yes:

… with regards the Beatles v Kinks debate I’m sort of on the fence as I like both bands equally. 
whilst respecting their influence on later bands, I must confess I slightly prefer Wings over both the Beatles & the Kinks ! 😮😜

maybe this is because I’m more into music post ‘70 music in general and my fav 60s groups being Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience and the Doors. ( I know LZ’s first 2 albums came out in ‘69 but I really consider them to be a 70s band ) 

My all time favourite song is Waterloo Sunset. And The Kinks have more great albums than The Beatles, even though Beatles have higher highs.

All this bollocks of Kinks not being that great...whatever. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

My all time favourite song is Waterloo Sunset. And The Kinks have more great albums than The Beatles, even though Beatles have higher highs.

All this bollocks of Kinks not being that great...whatever. 

Well Van Halen certainly loved the Kinks🙂

covering :

You Really Got Me on their self titled debut album ( VH I , 1978 )

Where have all the Good Times Gone

( Diver Down , ‘82 ) 

• Like 1

Just now, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

covering :

( Diver Down , ‘82 ) 

You Really Got Me alone is better than 95% of Beatles discography. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I’ve liked your comment Segue as I admire the fact that you are sticking your head above the parapet and aren’t wavering 👍😉

like I say personally I quite like equally both groups… when I played 🎸in a local pubs and clubs covers bands circa ‘95-‘01

we played both

You Really Got Me ( my solo was based on

Eddie’s :ROCK: ) and also

Day Tripper which we cranked out with a more overdrive edge sort of as if some late 70s hard rock band were playing it 🙂

1 minute ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

I’ve liked your comment Segue as I admire the fact that you are sticking your head above the parapet and aren’t wavering 👍😉

like I say personally I quite like equally both groups… when I played 🎸in a local pubs and clubs covers bands circa ‘95-‘01

we played both

You Really Got Me ( my solo was based on

Eddie’s :ROCK: ) and also

Day Tripper which we cranked out with a more overdrive edge sort of as if some late 70s hard rock band were playing it 🙂

I love Beatles and Kinks. To me they are about equal. But I'd take The Doors and Love over both of them.

11 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

covering :

( Diver Down , ‘82 ) 

Van Halen had a habit of covering a song and making the original obsolete.  In the Midnight Hour was recorded for 1984 according to a Circus magazine article I read right before 1984 came out.  Shame we never heard it.

If you hear a bar band cover You Really Got Me now, I suspect you're going to hear them doing a cover of the cover.  They won't be able to get the guitar down perfectly, of course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Van Halen had a habit of covering a song and making the original obsolete.  In the Midnight Hour was recorded for 1984 according to a Circus magazine article I read right before 1984 came out.  Shame we never heard it.

If you hear a bar band cover You Really Got Me now, I suspect you're going to hear them doing a cover of the cover.  They won't be able to get the guitar down perfectly, of course.

Yep, you’re right about bar bands doing the cover of the cover ! 🙂

Yeah, that’s what I coincidentally just mentioned in replying to Segue that my cover band did pretty much a hybrid kinks/Van halen cover version with Eddie’s 🎸 solo being one of his more easier ones to get close to accurately replicating 

( except maybe his ‘ brown sound ‘ tone ) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

What did you say earlier?  Oh, yeah.  "Bullsh*t."

Yea just chiming in my cosign here again:thumbsup:

Kinks Stink........hey that rhymes, lol

Mick

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Differing opinions on music is as it should be with something purely subjective, but maybe sometimes framing them in a rational perspective wouldn't go amiss.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Yep, you’re right about bar bands doing the cover of the cover ! 🙂

Yeah, that’s what I coincidentally just mentioned in replying to Segue that my cover band did pretty much a hybrid kinks/Van halen cover version with Eddie’s 🎸 solo being one of his more easier ones to get close to accurately replicating 

( except maybe his ‘ brown sound ‘ tone ) 

Yeah, it seems logical that people try to blend Davies' voice with EVH's, Mike's and Alex's playing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turbine Freight said:

Differing opinions on music is as it should be with something purely subjective, but maybe sometimes framing them in a rational perspective wouldn't go amiss.

Same as saying Kinks aren't great

2 minutes ago, Turbine Freight said:

overhyped comment by Segue-y is overhyped, lol

that was WAAAY too muc, lol

Mick

• Haha 1