Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

i'm just giving you a hard time, lol

But to me this is the last classic.  Exiles is a hodgepodge with some hidden gems.  but his peak was done.,

Mick

Just came across a ridiculously positive review.

And as someone who loves album art, that is a beautiful cover

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen-Born in the USA (7/10)

Don't kilL me for the rating it's never been a fav.

it's obvious they want a commercial sound in which every song could be a hit.

They achieved that i hear just about every song on the radio still.  BUUUUUT........it's very transparent in it's goal.  thus losing a bit for me.

My favs though.

Cover me

Darlington County

I'm on Fire

Bobby Jean

My Hometown.

Also he traded some of his best songs for what went on the album.  the outtakes are great.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Billy Joel-The Bridge (8/10)

This album is a bit uneven and a bit weaker but not by much honestly. i don't think it deserves the hate it gets.

i really enjoy

Running On Ice

This is the Time

A Matter of Trust

Baby Grant

Big Man on Mulberry Street

Code of Silence

Temptation

Even Billy hates it.  but he plays Mulberry street pretty regular.  he must like that one at least.

When i saw him in 98 he intro-ed Mulberry by saying "This is from an album called the Bridge.  Don't buy the piece of shit!!!!" :laugh2:

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Bruce Springsteen-Born in the USA (7/10)

Don't kilL me for the rating it's never been a fav.

it's obvious they want a commercial sound in which every song could be a hit.

They achieved that i hear just about every song on the radio still.  BUUUUUT........it's very transparent in it's goal.  thus losing a bit for me.

My favs though.

Cover me

Darlington County

I'm on Fire

Bobby Jean

My Hometown.

Also he traded some of his best songs for what went on the album.  the outtakes are great.

Mick

Though I like the songs, I hate the production and arrangements. I'd go lower than your rating, though rate the songs higher in his live shows

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

Though I like the songs, I hate the production and arrangements. I'd go lower than your rating, though rate the songs higher in his live shows

the albums drenched in 80's reverb.  the drums sound just dead.

and honestly the songs he picked are mostly just one phrase or hook repeated over and over.

As i said they did this on purpose and hey the proof is in the charts in this case.  it was pay dirt BUT he left behind a spark.

that's why tunnel Of love is sooooo much better......imo.  it's raw and honest and not just going for the billboard charts.

Mick

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

the albums drenched in 80's reverb.  the drums sound just dead.

and honestly the songs he picked are mostly just one phrase or hook repeated over and over.

As i said they did this on purpose and hey the proof is in the charts in this case.  it was pay dirt BUT he left behind a spark.

that's why tunnel Of love is sooooo much better......imo.  it's raw and honest and not just going for the billboard charts.

Mick

Tunnel Of Love is a special album. I also prefer Lucky Town to BITUSA by far.

And good shout on those lousy repetitive choruses. 

• Like 1

Rick Springfield - Living on Oz (‘83, 9.5/10) 

My Fav Rick album… some great 🎸 solos  & riffs by Tim Pierce

Dare - Out of the Silence  ( ‘88, 9/10 ) 

Classy melodic AOR

Dan Fogelberg- Windows And Walls (10/10)

Again.  I just LOVE this album.

May get the top spot soon.....Dan is too good.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

On 5/17/2023 at 6:18 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I need to spin the boygenius record again. I liked a lot of it but it didn’t seem as cohesive as I’d hoped.

I enjoyed it when I first listened to it, but it was more of a passive listen. I definitely need to spin it again, and really focus on every aspect.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

To be fair, the Van Halen version is one of the best BEST covers.

If you ain't gonna try and elevate it to your style, what's the point? 

This is why my band is very hesitant about doing covers. We want a song or two to hook the audience in, but we want to play them in our style. We don't want to become a cover band. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

This is why my band is very hesitant about doing covers. We want a song or two to hook the audience in, but we want to play them in our style. We don't want to become a cover band. 

Amen. I’m the same way with mine. We’ve done two so far, and not super duper popular cover band material either, but we only really made one of them our own in any way.  I feel like the strategy is to find a song that’s fantastic on paper but maybe leaves something to be desired sonically or structurally or in terms of flash or something, and have your band add that missing ingredient.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Amen. I’m the same way with mine. We’ve done two so far, and not super duper popular cover band material either, but we only really made one of them our own in any way.  I feel like the strategy is to find a song that’s fantastic on paper but maybe leaves something to be desired sonically or structurally or in terms of flash or something, and have your band add that missing ingredient.

Good covers, IMO, often leave you surprised that they were, in fact, covers.  For example, many people may not realize that Take Me to the River isn't a Talking Heads original.  It's only in the last several years that I learned that Big 10-Inch Record by Aerosmith and Stayed Awake All Night by Krokus were covers.  I had never heard Cum on Feel the Noize or Mama Weer All Crazee Now before Quiet Riot covered them.

I'd be very surprised if a substantial percentage of casual music fans know that Van Halen didn't write You Really Got Me.  I suspect that for a lot of people, the VH version is the one they immediately think of when someone mentions the song title.

For the record, the Kinks aren't garbage.  They just don't belong, IMO, in the same class as The Beatles or Van Halen.  No shame in that.  One band is the inspiration for the 80s metal bands.  The other is the inspiration for every band.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Good covers, IMO, often leave you surprised that they were, in fact, covers.  For example, many people may not realize that Take Me to the River isn't a Talking Heads original.  It's only in the last several years that I learned that Big 10-Inch Record by Aerosmith and Stayed Awake All Night by Krokus were covers.  I had never heard Cum on Feel the Noize or Mama Weer All Crazee Now before Quiet Riot covered them.

I'd be very surprised if a substantial percentage of casual music fans know that Van Halen didn't write You Really Got Me.  I suspect that for a lot of people, the VH version is the one they immediately think of when someone mentions the song title.

For the record, the Kinks aren't garbage.  They just don't belong, IMO, in the same class as The Beatles or Van Halen.  No shame in that.  One band is the inspiration for the 80s metal bands.  The other is the inspiration for every band.

Sure, that’s a great aim to have, but it’s more of an end goal than a plan of attack. Did Hendrix know he would do the definitive version of All Along The Watchtower when he did it? No idea.

• Like 2

Kesha - Gag Order (aoty contender)

Parquet Courts - Wide Awaaake!

Nena - Nena

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Sure, that’s a great aim to have, but it’s more of an end goal than a plan of attack. Did Hendrix know he would do the definitive version of All Along The Watchtower when he did it? No idea.

I'm not exactly sure what that means.  You can't know how successful something will be until you do it, sure.  But let's say Andrew Stockdale did a cover of Welcome to the Jungle.  I think he'd be inviting trouble, because the original is very well known, and he's not different enough from GNR.

Bruce Springsteen-Letter to you (8/10)

Really Great album.  I don't think it's better than Western Stars but it's still great and something to be proud of

One Minute your here

Letter To You

Burnin' Train

Janey Needs A Shooter

Last Man Standing

If I Was A Priest (A straight up classic dylan sounding song it could have been stolen, lol)

Ghosts

Song For Orphans (Dylan's back:laugh2::thumbsup:)

I'll Seen you In My Dreams

However the album sags i the middle for me. Power of Prayer......boring.  House of A Thousand guitars.....Stupid and annoying. Rainmaker.  Repetitive and in the uninteresting way.

But all in al a great effort. just could use some fat trimming.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

27 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I'm not exactly sure what that means.  You can't know how successful something will be until you do it, sure.  But let's say Andrew Stockdale did a cover of Welcome to the Jungle.  I think he'd be inviting trouble, because the original is very well known, and he's not different enough from GNR.

What I’m saying is just saying as an artist “I have to do this song better than the original” isn’t very helpful. What’s more helpful is having some kind of strategy for how you can make it your own, like what I said earlier about song selection.