What pissed you off today? v.2

Mara

Adventures in Parental Aging- sigh. (And this isn't even anything physical, that is a different story. . . )

Pennsylvania has finally approved Real ID, which means that in a year you have to have your whole life story in the computer and you get a little star on your license. You will need it in a year to fly or enter federal facilities or military bases. My Dad is 90, and has just decided he must have this. there was an article in our paper about how to have to show ID that is not easy to get- it is supposed to be a form of layered security. Trying to explain this to people who just say, "Well, I don't have that, they will just have to process me without it". is ummm difficult or amusing depending how you look at it! :LOL:

It turns out my dad has not had a government SS card for over 30 years. He needs to have a new one and is too frail to go to the office. We sat down together and tried to create an account online to mail order a new card; what a mess. You have to have all this information about your yourself but then they ask you credit bureau questions- what card did you open in 1979? Which street did you live on 30 years ago? Are you kidding me? I don't even know that stuff about myself much less have my frail dad be able to remember it. He answered enough wrong that he got locked out until tomorrow. And all this is before he even tried to order the replacement card!

I called the government to ask them exactly what we are supposed to do. 90 year old people on medication don't remember what they had for lunch, much less when the got their first credit card. And it would be difficult to get my dad to the office in downtown Pittsburgh. The government woman was at least nice enough to give us a broad hint that all the questions are based on a certain credit bureau report. So we have printed out the report and can see what financial institutions are on it. Hopefully we will not get locked out again tomorrow. Sigh. Government- can't live with em, can't live without em.

:banghead:

Success! I'm so glad we had the credit bureau report! That helped him answer the questions successfully. New card on the way! :ebert:

Is this Real ID also referred to as an enhanced license? My state made a huge deal out of getting those or a passport about a decade ago. It was especially a big deal here because we're so close to the Canadian border. I got a passport which is good for ten years. I still have two or three years left on it. From what I gathered getting a passport is easier than getting the special license but the passport costs a couple hundred dollars if I remember correctly. I can't speak to flying but crossing the Canadian border with either one is pretty quick and easy.

Yes, I think that is the name for it in other states; Real ID is the Pennsylvania name for it. Pennsylvania should have done it when everyone else did but many legislators were worried it was a World ID conspiracy thing! Go figure! :LOL: PA was going to lose federal road funding so they finally agreed.

Adventures in Parental Aging- sigh. (And this isn't even anything physical, that is a different story. . . )

Pennsylvania has finally approved Real ID, which means that in a year you have to have your whole life story in the computer and you get a little star on your license. You will need it in a year to fly or enter federal facilities or military bases. My Dad is 90, and has just decided he must have this. there was an article in our paper about how to have to show ID that is not easy to get- it is supposed to be a form of layered security. Trying to explain this to people who just say, "Well, I don't have that, they will just have to process me without it". is ummm difficult or amusing depending how you look at it! :LOL:

It turns out my dad has not had a government SS card for over 30 years. He needs to have a new one and is too frail to go to the office. We sat down together and tried to create an account online to mail order a new card; what a mess. You have to have all this information about your yourself but then they ask you credit bureau questions- what card did you open in 1979? Which street did you live on 30 years ago? Are you kidding me? I don't even know that stuff about myself much less have my frail dad be able to remember it. He answered enough wrong that he got locked out until tomorrow. And all this is before he even tried to order the replacement card!

I called the government to ask them exactly what we are supposed to do. 90 year old people on medication don't remember what they had for lunch, much less when the got their first credit card. And it would be difficult to get my dad to the office in downtown Pittsburgh. The government woman was at least nice enough to give us a broad hint that all the questions are based on a certain credit bureau report. So we have printed out the report and can see what financial institutions are on it. Hopefully we will not get locked out again tomorrow. Sigh. Government- can't live with em, can't live without em.

Success! I'm so glad we had the credit bureau report! That helped him answer the questions successfully. New card on the way! :ebert:

Becky, what an ordeal, and your patience is to be commended. I would have blown a fuse at the absurdity of it all.

Thanks! Yes, it was pretty ridiculous; who can remember that stuff? Anyway it turned out my dad had cosigned a car loan for a relative years ago and that showed up as financing a car through XYZ bank or whatever. They asked a question about it and he didn't remember; it was over and done with. But the credit report showed it and then he remembered so we were able to answer the question correctly today, yay! But I really think there is being secure and there is being ridiculous. This was on the ridiculous side . . .

• Like 2

The Club MST3K site has been down for the past 3 days. I would usually watch the episode of the day on the site and post on the forums. The caption threads for riffing were always fun to post on. My ID on the site is “whenfatkillsfat” which references that other Joe Don Baker movie that was riffed, Final Justice.

The Club MST3K site has been down for the past 3 days. I would usually watch the episode of the day on the site and post on the forums. The caption threads for riffing were always fun to post on. My ID on the site is “whenfatkillsfat” which references that other Joe Don Baker movie that was riffed, Final Justice.

It just struck me that a FART is an invisible airwave. Not YOU IA, but the effect IS there... I myself have called it a GREEN CLOUD since my teens...

ZbC9atF.jpg

V1R87oP.gif

Is this Real ID also referred to as an enhanced license? My state made a huge deal out of getting those or a passport about a decade ago. It was especially a big deal here because we're so close to the Canadian border. I got a passport which is good for ten years. I still have two or three years left on it. From what I gathered getting a passport is easier than getting the special license but the passport costs a couple hundred dollars if I remember correctly. I can't speak to flying but crossing the Canadian border with either one is pretty quick and easy.

Yes, I think that is the name for it in other states; Real ID is the Pennsylvania name for it. Pennsylvania should have done it when everyone else did but many legislators were worried it was a World ID conspiracy thing! Go figure! :LOL: PA was going to lose federal road funding so they finally agreed.

Papers, please.
  • Like 1

Waiting in a left turn lane for a traffic light to change and I hear a siren behind me. OK, probably EMS, the station is half a mile back. The truck approaches the intersection, full lights, siren, and air horn, and the morons on the road they're trying to access zip right by. Dumbasses!
  • Like 1

Waiting in a left turn lane for a traffic light to change and I hear a siren behind me. OK, probably EMS, the station is half a mile back. The truck approaches the intersection, full lights, siren, and air horn, and the morons on the road they're trying to access zip right by. Dumbasses!

They were probably dicking around with their devices. The Age of Information has somehow been superseded by the Age of Retardation. :huh:

• Like 2

Nah ... Not even close. 66% of eligible voters casted votes and the party that was elected actually lost in the popular vote category. Canada may be a physically large country, but the voting demographic is skewed. Add 6 electoral parties, four time zones and several select cultures within the country and we are scattered as the wind.
  • Like 3

I’ve been sneezing so hard that I pulled a muscle in my rib area. It HURTS. :rage: Edited by Principled Man

Actually it was a couple weeks ago but......the asshole that hit me and ran so fast and so dangerously I couldn't catch him to get his license plate. Not hurt at all, but car is in the body shop for repairs and I hate my rental (too small for me....I'm 6'6") plus I will have to pay $300 deductible.

I hope this guy's karma bites him in the ass hard.

• Like 1

I have a fukkin' meniscus tear in my left knee. Surgery on Thursday.

Seems like the year ends in an unexpected way for me.

Immobility totally sucks! :bang bang:

• Like 2

I hope they can do the arthroscopic surgery for you, anyway. Sending wishes for quick healing! That stinks to be laid up over the holidays, though.

• Like 3

I hope they can do the arthroscopic surgery for you, anyway. Sending wishes for quick healing! That stinks to be laid up over the holidays, though.

Thanks bc. Yeah, my timing is not the best this year.

• Like 2

I just syphined two overfill quarts out of my transmission that was recently serviced. I guess the guy missed 'dipstick day' at his tech school. Son, it's a GM car...the transmission will fail soon enough without your help.
  • Like 4

How did you do that? Too bad Stephen wasn't still here. He could give you tips on knees and surgeries.

I just syphined two overfill quarts out of my transmission that was recently serviced. I guess the guy missed 'dipstick day' at his tech school. Son, it's a GM car...the transmission will fail soon enough without your help.

That's awful, but you are fortunate to have caught it.

If he was a certified tech, this doesn't inspire confidence in them on my end.

• Like 1

That's awful, but you are fortunate to have caught it.

If he was a certified tech, this doesn't inspire confidence in them on my end.

I always check the dipsticks soon after service. About 1/3 of the time it's overfilled. When you consider they charge a flat fee, their just wasting their own money by giving me more fluid than I need. Duhhhh.

It's just a local garage that I used for a while. Only a mile from my house so they were convenient. Problem is they've started to gouge me on services. Think I'll move on.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

I thought I would be driving around, shopping and lunching, but started getting this repetitive thumping noise in the car while driving. Checked my tires and didn't see anything, but btdt pulling a chunk of metal out of a tire sidewall once before. Tread on this set of tires is getting shady af, so I called my car service/tire people, taking car tomorrow a.m. for a full set. Probably drop a G note after taxes and fees, but it needs to be.
  • Like 1