Colon Cancer

Lorraine

Sending good thoughts your way. Medications have so many side effects, sometimes it comes down to the lesser of two evils.

:hug2:

• Like 4

Lorraine, I wish there was something I could do. I hope they are able to sort out the pain and nausea for you soon.

:hug2: Thank you, but there's nothing anyone can say or do. This is just the way it is. We all have to go some day; I just didn't ever think I would go this way and so young.

Hospice is my best choice. Their primary purpose is to make me comfortable and pain-free and the end of my life the best it can possibly be. Like one nurse told me, if you want to eat ice cream all day, do it.

The chaplain came over today and I spent an hour with her pouring my heart out. It did me a lot of good. I don't get a chance to do that often. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did do it. But it felt good to release so many emotions.

It's not easy coming to grips with this. Most of the day, when I'm not sleeping, I'm staring out the window wondering if this is really happening to me. I look at my beautiful sunflower tree and think: I'll never see that tree next Spring.

I hope I make it through Christmas. I'd really like to have one last Christmas.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

Now they gave me promethazine 25mg for nausea, and temazepam 15mg for sleep.

MUCH better, you should notice a fair old difference with these...I did think of Promethazine, but was unsure of US prescribing guidelines

If you begin to feel pain relief isn't cutting it, then there are further options which will allow you to remain at home ...don't suffer unneccessarily.....in the 21st Century there is no reason for anyone to be in undue pain, whatever the cause...Keep on keeping on Lorraine, lets get you that Christmas you want so badly..

• Like 4

Now they gave me promethazine 25mg for nausea, and temazepam 15mg for sleep.

MUCH better, you should notice a fair old difference with these...I did think of Promethazine, but was unsure of US prescribing guidelines

If you begin to feel pain relief isn't cutting it, then there are further options which will allow you to remain at home ...don't suffer unneccessarily.....in the 21st Century there is no reason for anyone to be in undue pain, whatever the cause...Keep on keeping on Lorraine, lets get you that Christmas you want so badly..

:hug2:

• Like 1

New sleeping pill is awful.

Back to square one.

Or maybe I need two of them.

:hug2: I was a bit shocked that you were taking Tramadol, as I have these on repeat prescription so I couldn`t imagine they would be enough to help you with your pain. As for sleeping, I`ve been known to indulge in cough mixtures that are the "drowsy" type, containing Diphenhydramine (also known as Benadryl). My Mum says I once drank Benylin from the bottle when I was about 5 (I loved the taste and still do) and topped up the bottle with water so nobody would notice. This was about the naughtiest thing I did as a kid :coy: *This is not to be taken as advice of course; just a thought.
  • Like 1

Back to square one.

This may seem lame but have you tried herbal tea? I have used the Sleepy Time to help relax before bed and it did knock me out. Also ask if you could take some melatonin? I use that a lot and it helps me nod off real quick. :hug2:

• Like 3

I didn't have time to read the whole thread. Does the doctor have any idea what caused the cancer? In the past, some researchers have linked certain foods and lifestyle habits to colon cancer. Do you have a family history of it?

Back to square one.

This may seem lame but have you tried herbal tea? I have used the Sleepy Time to help relax before bed and it did knock me out. Also ask if you could take some melatonin? I use that a lot and it helps me nod off real quick. :hug2:

Herbal tea doesn't do a thing for me and melatonin keeps me awake all night.

Back to square one.

:hug2: I was a bit shocked that you were taking Tramadol, as I have these on repeat prescription so I couldn`t imagine they would be enough to help you with your pain. As for sleeping, I`ve been known to indulge in cough mixtures that are the "drowsy" type, containing Diphenhydramine (also known as Benadryl). My Mum says I once drank Benylin from the bottle when I was about 5 (I loved the taste and still do) and topped up the bottle with water so nobody would notice. This was about the naughtiest thing I did as a kid :coy: *This is not to be taken as advice of course; just a thought.

For someone who has never taken anything for pain (aside from aspirin/ibuprofen), tramadol is enough. I have morphine too, but why should I start taking it if I don't have to? I'm sure there will come a time in the near future when I will need, but not now.

• Like 3

Back to square one.

For someone who has never taken anything for pain (aside from aspirin/ibuprofen), tramadol is enough. I have morphine too, but why should I start taking it if I don't have to? I'm sure there will come a time in the near future when I will need, but not now.

100% agree. It's relatively comforting to think you have another option if pain gets worse. Let's hope that level leaves you alone for a long time yet. Hope you're feeling like that ice cream day is just around the corner, followed by a proper night of restful shuteye. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 2

Back to square one.

My Father is on the liquid morphine. His MDS has gone into Leukemia. As an opiate based drug I worry. Guess he needs it. Though it's hard to distinguish withdrawal, against his actual bone ache cancer symptoms. He had his Colon removed, pre emting cancer. He has a bag. Hope he makes it to Christmas, tho I hope he only has a good quality of life more. Hope you're ok Lorraine.

• Like 4

Just to check.....are you still taking your Ativan in addition to Temazepam?...Ihope so, as if you are anxious,a Hypnotic (sleeping tablet) will only help a little..

Another thing to address which has been touched on is Opiate addiction....this will not happen if being used for pain, as they bind to different brain receptors than they do if used for recreation.....it's possible you could buil up a "tolerance" as time goes on but that's no biggie as the dose can simply be increased.

Watch out for constipation as opiate dose increasesm and don't be scared to use laxatives etc.

• Like 2

Back to square one.

That's too bad... :sigh: I hadn't tried melatonin until last year, sometimes it doesn't work for me but most of the time it helps. Thought it might be a long shot.

• Like 3

Back to square one.

That's too bad... :sigh: I hadn't tried melatonin until last year, sometimes it doesn't work for me but most of the time it helps. Thought it might be a long shot.

Melatonin whist useful for some situations is pretty much a waste of time if anxiety is the root cause of sleep deprivation.

• Like 2

Just to check.....are you still taking your Ativan in addition to Temazepam?...Ihope so, as if you are anxious,a Hypnotic (sleeping tablet) will only help a little..

Another thing to address which has been touched on is Opiate addiction....this will not happen if being used for pain, as they bind to different brain receptors than they do if used for recreation.....it's possible you could buil up a "tolerance" as time goes on but that's no biggie as the dose can simply be increased.

Watch out for constipation as opiate dose increasesm and don't be scared to use laxatives etc.

They said not to take the two together at night. It is alright if I take Ativan during the day and up to two hours before taking the Temazepan.

They also gave me, a few weeks ago, a stool softener to take each day to prevent constipation.

However, I have a new development. I didn't notice the cause yesterday, because it was the first time it happened, but I did take note this morning. Yesterday when I was on the toilet right before my shower, my two feet from the ankles down went completely numb. Not pins and needles type thing - just completely numb - as if they didn't exist. It happened again this morning, and I noticed it happened right after my b.m.

When I told the nurse about it yesterday, she said, and the hospice doctor agreed, that it might be a tumor pressing on nerves. I never had a colonoscopy, so I don't know what is in the rectum. My surgeon told me he tried to feel around the best he could when I had my operation, but didn't feel anything. Maybe there is something there and it has grown; that would explain the flattened poop.

Don't mean to be gross. Sorry.

In any event, they want to put me on a steroid. The doctor said it would help shrink whatever is causing this.

Also, this Temazepan is causing me bad dreams and I was up almost all night, so we can rule that pill out as a sleeping aide.

Until they can find me something else, I will go back to the Ativan.

Edited by Lorraine

Back to square one.

Melatonin whist useful for some situations is pretty much a waste of time if anxiety is the root cause of sleep deprivation.

I have lots of anxiety, that's for sure. Now my husband has a cold. I need this like a hole in the head.

• Like 1

Lorraine, I can't imagine the pain you're going through and living in. I'm so sorry that you have to face this. I can hardly find words. I hope you will have the best medication to help you to keep food in and pain out, and to get sleep.

You mentioned earlier that you don't want to bother your friends with what's going on. Please do bother them. They will not regret any moment they can spend with you. It's good to hear that you had a meaningful conversation with the chaplain. I hope you can meet her again anytime you might need to, and I'm sure she will be honoured to listen to you and seek things together with you that can give you more peace and solace.

I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

:hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 7

How about Klonapin/Clonazepam. I had severe panic attacks a while back and they seemed to work for me and I was able to sleep also. Tranquilizers...
  • Like 3