Colon Cancer

Lorraine

:monalisa:

We love you! Not sure what else to say; what else could we say? Prayers still going up...

This ^ Praying for you and better results on the latest test. :hug2:

• Like 8

Here's an update.

Oncologist told me yesterday that I have Stage 3C cancer. He also showed me what appears to be cysts on my liver. I have to go for a PET Scan to determine whether those cysts are cancer. Also, I am awaiting the results of some type of blood test which will tell if I still have cancer in my body.

If the cancer is in the liver, that brings it to Stage 4.

He suggested two chemo drugs - one oral and one IV - oxaliplatin and xeloda. I have read up on both and decided emphatically - NO WAY. Cure is worse than the disease.

So, friends and enemies, this is it. He said it appears to be a fast-growing cancer. If I do nothing, and the PET scan shows no cancer in liver, then I have a 75% chance of the cancer returning within a year. Even with chemo, the percentage doesn't change much (50-65%). If there is cancer in the liver, I don't know how long I have.

Say your goodbyes now while I still have my wits about me. ;)

ORFie and I are going to get a celestial TRF going on the other side.

I look forward to meeting Neil. And Tom Petty. And Eddie.

Even with your news update, it`s still nice to see you :yes:

Whenever you want to come and talk to us, we`ll be here - and when you don`t want to, know that we care :hug2:

Here's an update.

Oncologist told me yesterday that I have Stage 3C cancer. He also showed me what appears to be cysts on my liver. I have to go for a PET Scan to determine whether those cysts are cancer. Also, I am awaiting the results of some type of blood test which will tell if I still have cancer in my body.

He suggested two chemo drugs - one oral and one IV - oxaliplatin and xeloda. I have read up on both and decided emphatically - NO WAY. Cure is worse than the disease.

So, friends and enemies, this is it. He said it appears to be a fast-growing cancer. If I do nothing, and the PET scan shows no cancer in liver, then I have a 75% chance of the cancer returning within a year. Even with chemo, the percentage doesn't change much (50-65%). If there is cancer in the liver, I don't know how long I have.

We love you! Not sure what else to say; what else could we say? Prayers still going up...

Here's an update.

Prayers that you are in the 25% where cancer doesn't return. :hug2: I hope all turns out ok with the liver, it sounds like that is the key. Sending love- you will be in my prayers.

This ^ Praying for you and better results on the latest test. :hug2:

We love you Lorraine! Damn, but I'm in tears...

:hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

• Like 7

Here's an update.

Obviously, this not the update any of us were wanting to read. Still, I imagine you chose your words carefully. Frank and a sense of humor, which is good. That displays a strength, something good to have now.

I think we're all aware of people who outlived the doctor's grim prognosis. They'll be people praying, those wishing karma smiles on you, that you join that club.

• Like 7

Lorraine, I am so sorry to read this...

All I can say is don't give up hope, there's still a chance this could work out ok.

Know that I'm thinking of you in this terrible time....

• Like 6

Please read about OXALIPLATIN and XELODA and then, tell me, if you had cancer, and these two chemo drugs were recommended as your course of treatment, what would you do?

EDIT: I've already decided no chemo.

I'm sorry that I worded this post incorrectly.

I merely wanted to know what others would do if they had cancer and if these two chemo drugs were offered to them.

Edited by Lorraine

I don’t know what I would do. I don’t know much about treatments for cancer, but I often hear the side effects are awful. But all the stuff has to be super strong or it’s not gonna work. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons. Is there anyone at the doctors office or even the hospital that you can talk to like a patient advocate or something? Or some kind of support group where you can talk to people who have been through this and find out what their experiences were?
  • Like 5

I don’t know what I would do. I don’t know much about treatments for cancer, but I often hear the side effects are awful. But all the stuff has to be super strong or it’s not gonna work. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons. Is there anyone at the doctors office or even the hospital that you can talk to like a patient advocate or something? Or some kind of support group where you can talk to people who have been through this and find out what their experiences were?

I've already decided against chemo. I've never been an advocate of it. I've seen it destroy too many during their last months.

I was just wondering what others would do after reading about the two drugs I named and the side effects from them.

Ok, I went and read about both drugs. Very strong side effects for both, lots of nausea, tiredness and some sleep disruption. Oxaliplatin has neuropathy as another nasty side effect. I looked on WebMD and they had reviews from patients. If this was me having to make the decision, I think I would lean towards taking it, like one patient (stage 4 cancer) said "if you are ready to fight then you can fight with this". I had a drug that was given to me in the early 2000's to treat my psorasis, methotrexate. It is very strong and I was very scared of the damage it could do to my liver. They would have to test me periodically to make sure it had not affected my liver. I went ahead and took it and it was nasty. I have never been so tired in my whole life but I stuck with it for six months. I won't say I was glad I took it but I was glad to have some help in stopping the progress of the condition. It is an immune disorder so there is no cure, just ways to mitigate it. I have also had mild neuropathy and it is not fun to have tingling and numb feet but again I have found ways to cope with it. Then again if this exacerbated my psorasis, it would be hellish.

The second drug Xeloda seems to have more digestive problems but similar complaints as the first. It seems the younger patients (not surprisingly) appear to tolerate it better. Those in their 70's do not do well with this drug and the dosage amount is what most of the patient reviews discuss, the higher doses are more toxic.

I think I would be scared out of my wits about what to do and I can't say with certainty that I would want to take these drugs. I guess it would come down to how much of a fight I was able to put up and if I could, whether it was worth it. Saying it would be hard is an understatement. Yet there are those who do not have as severe side effects but there are also no guarantees. I would have to really trust the Doctor to do it. Guess I am waffling but that's the most honest answer I can give.

• Like 6

Stay strong, Lorraine. The decision about the drugs is a tough one to make. I'd trust the doctors and would also ask for any help and advice provided by the nurses and peers. Maybe you could also have a talk with a hospital chaplain if there's one to get help in making the decision.

I will keep you in my prayers. :heart: :hug2:

• Like 7

Ok, I went and read about both drugs. Very strong side effects for both, lots of nausea, tiredness and some sleep disruption. Oxaliplatin has neuropathy as another nasty side effect. I looked on WebMD and they had reviews from patients. If this was me having to make the decision, I think I would lean towards taking it, like one patient (stage 4 cancer) said "if you are ready to fight then you can fight with this". I had a drug that was given to me in the early 2000's to treat my psorasis, methotrexate. It is very strong and I was very scared of the damage it could do to my liver. They would have to test me periodically to make sure it had not affected my liver. I went ahead and took it and it was nasty. I have never been so tired in my whole life but I stuck with it for six months. I won't say I was glad I took it but I was glad to have some help in stopping the progress of the condition. It is an immune disorder so there is no cure, just ways to mitigate it. I have also had mild neuropathy and it is not fun to have tingling and numb feet but again I have found ways to cope with it. Then again if this exacerbated my psorasis, it would be hellish.

The second drug Xeloda seems to have more digestive problems but similar complaints as the first. It seems the younger patients (not surprisingly) appear to tolerate it better. Those in their 70's do not do well with this drug and the dosage amount is what most of the patient reviews discuss, the higher doses are more toxic.

I think I would be scared out of my wits about what to do and I can't say with certainty that I would want to take these drugs. I guess it would come down to how much of a fight I was able to put up and if I could, whether it was worth it. Saying it would be hard is an understatement. Yet there are those who do not have as severe side effects but there are also no guarantees. I would have to really trust the Doctor to do it. Guess I am waffling but that's the most honest answer I can give.

God bless you, Rhyta, for your thoughtful post.

All I can say is, I'm willing to put up a fight, but for what? I'm 67. I've lived my life already. Even if the chemo should happen to rid me of cancer for now, it will probably leave me with other physical problems that I do not currently have, and I would be willing to bet that somewhere down the line, the cancer would return with a vengeance.

But, again I say - fight for what? If I were younger, yes - I would do it. But my best years are over. All that lies ahead is getting older and more sickness. i don't want to become like the old ladies I see clinging to a life that no longer has any quality.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

All I can say is, I'm willing to put up a fight, but for what? I'm 67. I've lived my life already. Even if the chemo should happen to rid me of cancer for now, it will probably leave me with other physical problems that I do not currently have, and I would be willing to bet that somewhere down the line, the cancer would return with a vengeance.

But, again I say - fight for what? If I were younger, yes - I would do it. But my best years are over. All that lies ahead is getting older and more sickness. i don't want to become like the old ladies I see clinging to a life that no longer has any quality.

The only thing that matters really is that whatever you do, you are as comfortable with it as you can be. I think your reasoning is absolutely sound and without being too morbid, I`ve always thought that if you can have a period of time with full mental health and clarity of thought before the thing that happens to every living thing happens... then honestly... well, I can understand how you are thinking and feel I might be in a similar state of mind.

But that isn`t to say I wouldn`t be looking at everything from chemo to a witch doctor first. Whatever you decide, you need to know everything there is to know about all the choices and make any decision based on that. We`ll all be supportive and proud of you whatever that is :yes:

• Like 5

I admire your courage, it is clear that you have put thought into it and I wish you the best. I really wish I could give you a real hug right now. Bless you :hug2:

• Like 4

The only thing that matters really is that whatever you do, you are as comfortable with it as you can be. I think your reasoning is absolutely sound and without being too morbid, I`ve always thought that if you can have a period of time with full mental health and clarity of thought before the thing that happens to every living thing happens... then honestly... well, I can understand how you are thinking and feel I might be in a similar state of mind.

But that isn`t to say I wouldn`t be looking at everything from chemo to a witch doctor first. Whatever you decide, you need to know everything there is to know about all the choices and make any decision based on that. We`ll all be supportive and proud of you whatever that is :yes:

That's it exactly. Let's say I only have a year left. If I do the chemo (which doesn't guaranty me anything), I spend the year in misery.

The way I look at it, if I am going to die, I'd rather die having had months of quality living feeling my best. I wouldn't have that doing chemo, and might never have it again even when the treatment stops.

I've seen too many people miserable during the last months of their life getting those treatments. Then they die anyway.

• Like 2

I admire your courage, it is clear that you have put thought into it and I wish you the best. I really wish I could give you a real hug right now. Bless you :hug2:

I have thought about it. Very much so. Cancer is the last thing I thought would ever happen to me, but it did.

Thanks for everything, Rhyta! :hug2:

• Like 1

Wow this is a tough one. Many of us here are getting up there in years, so I understand the thought that our time is limited, why go through all of the tough side effects of chemo. I had a friend who was given 3 months to live and went through treatment and lived 4 years. I guess it is a matter if more time is important and what you do with it. We are here to support you whatever you decide Lorraine. Listen to others, but this is the most personal decision there is to make.
  • Like 5

If it were me, I'd also consult a witch doctor, alternative medicine doctors, functional medicine doctors and every other kind I could find to see if there was anything worth trying.

• Like 1

Please read about OXALIPLATIN and XELODA and then, tell me, if you had cancer, and these two chemo drugs were recommended as your course of treatment, what would you do?

I merely wanted to know what others would do if they had cancer and if these two chemo drugs were offered to them.

I've had a little think about this and tried to put it into context with what knowledge I have as a Medical professional.

The bottom line for me would be, is there a reasonable chance that this treatment could put the cancer into remission?

If so, then I would be inclined to go for it and hope for the best.

However, if it has progressed too far, then absolutely not!....You don't want what precious time you have left being completely ruined by the side effects.

Palliative care has advanced tremendously and you can be pain free till the very end if done right.

I would add that 67 is not old nowadays, not by a long stretch, and it may well be that you have more time than you think.

• Like 6

I will bite.

I am not 67, but with those side effects I would at least give serious consideration to letting the cancer get me. These 2 sound like it may (emphasis on may) provide more quantity of life but at the expense of quality.

No one here gets out alive seems to apply.

• Like 1

I would do the same as you. God bless you and give you peace.

• Like 1

Hospice is coming over tomorrow morning to do an assessment, and I go for my PET Scan Thursday.

Someone took a look at my pathology report today (an oncology nurse) and innocently blurted out, when she saw the kind of cancer I have, "People used to only live 3 to 6 months with this type cancer before chemo."

I have already made my decision about this, Lorraine. When/if I get cancer, I'm going with cannabis. Daily doses of CBD oil. And I will eat all the chocolate cake I want. I watched Janet go through treatment, and it took her away long before she should have - I say this even though it did technically "extend" her life. If they had let nature take its course, she would have slipped into a coma and died peacefully. What happened is that she ended up in pain from lesions and sores until they ended up administering an overdose of opiates. Chemo drugs give lots of misery and pain, from what I can see. Then you take drugs to counter the effects of those drugs, and on and on. I had a complicated excel file to keep everything organized. Her chemo drug, Temodol, was a pill so poisonous that I was not allowed to touch it - it could penetrate my skin and make me sick.

What I want is my final days to be filled with music, mellow feelings, friends sharing memories, and lots of cake. I'm not trying to be a wag. I just want all of my favorite things.

I know the cannabis thing is freighted with controversy, even now. Is the endocannabinoid system real? It seems there is only really anecdotal evidence of people who have gone into remission after taking CBD oil. But given the choice, that's what I will go with.

Having said all of that, I feel it is important to stress, as well, that you get as much information and opinions as you can from as many people as you can.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3