Colon Cancer

Lorraine

I wish I could think of something I could do for myself to mentally help myself feel better, but there is nothing.

This is just something I will have to work through.

What about the hospice workers who are taking care of you? They help people through this all the time. They might be able to help you out. If not, I'm guessing they can refer you to someone you can talk to.

• Like 4

I wish I could think of something I could do for myself to mentally help myself feel better, but there is nothing.

What about the hospice workers who are taking care of you? They help people through this all the time. They might be able to help you out. If not, I'm guessing they can refer you to someone you can talk to.

I'm going to call them today.

This is moving faster than I anticipated.

• Like 1

:hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

• Like 4

I so hope that you`re getting some good support today :hug2:
  • Like 3

No appetite, lots of frustration, lots of phone calls, and a new pill that is guaranteed :eh: to get rid of suture infection.

Edited by Lorraine

No appetite, lots of frustration, lots of phone calls, and a new pill that is guaranteed :eh: to get rid of suture infection.

None of those sound like things that you would welcome. Hopefully your appetite will recover and you can spoil yourself a little at some point :)
  • Like 2

Friends and foes, it won't be long.

I spent all day throwing up yesterday.

Was on the couch from morning until I finally threw up three more times and went to bed.

Had lots of pain too.

This isn't fun.

:hug2: :hug2: I hope there's something hospice can give you for the nausea.

• Like 4

Is your anti nausea pill Ondansetron ODT.

I was prescribed this for gastroenteritis that I had for several weeks. Couldn't keep anything inside the body.

I believe it blocks nausea. They give this to combat nausea due to chemo also (I know you are not on chemo).

This helped me start to keep in water, ice chips and then pedialyte and lollipops, etc.

It does make one tired so you can rest also.

Maybe you could try this? It's worth a shot.

• Like 2

I have two anti-nausea pills. Didn't work. Flagyl is a potent antibiotic that messes up the stomach bad.

Ughhhh I had to have it once for a chest cold. The worst! Sending hugs and empathy to you!

• Like 2

Is your anti nausea pill Ondansetron ODT.

I was prescribed this for gastroenteritis that I had for several weeks. Couldn't keep anything inside the body.

I believe it blocks nausea. They give this to combat nausea due to chemo also (I know you are not on chemo).

This helped me start to keep in water, ice chips and then pedialyte and lollipops, etc.

It does make one tired so you can rest also.

Maybe you could try this? It's worth a shot.

Yes, that's the one. 4mgs. That and Ativan (which is a multi-tasker pill - anxiety, nausea, shortness of breath - does it all:)). But neither one helped me yesterday. Didn't block any nausea either. Once I took that second flagyl (and, yes, I took it with food) I threw up for hours. First I couldn't burp. So I tried some ginger ale. That set it off.

Right, haven't been round here much which is inexcusable really.

Lets leave aside the utter shit sandwich ofyour situation right now (and believe me, I'm gutted for you)

As I see it, you have two needs right now, and that's pain relief , and somethig to stop you puking.

Where is the pain, and how bad is it?...what medication are you getting?....if oral, maybe it's time to consider injections.

Same with anti-emetics, maybe what you are getting is just not cutting the mustard, especially if you are getting metronidazole (flagyl)

Your immune response will not be great atm, which means that oral meds may not be so effective.

You may well be offered steroids at some point...I would consider them, as if nothing else they will improve your feeling of well-being....lets be blunt, we're not really too concerned about long term effects here, are we?

Hop this gives you food for thought, you know me, I'd rather try and offer something practical if I can rather than just sympathy (though you certainly have that too)

Try and stat strong, and grab any chance to make this time easier....

• Like 3

Lets leave aside the utter shit sandwich ofyour situation right now (and believe me, I'm gutted for you)

As I see it, you have two needs right now, and that's pain relief , and somethig to stop you puking.

Where is the pain, and how bad is it?...what medication are you getting?....if oral, maybe it's time to consider injections.

Same with anti-emetics, maybe what you are getting is just not cutting the mustard, especially if you are getting metronidazole (flagyl)

Your immune response will not be great atm, which means that oral meds may not be so effective.

You may well be offered steroids at some point...I would consider them, as if nothing else they will improve your feeling of well-being....lets be blunt, we're not really too concerned about long term effects here, are we?

Hop this gives you food for thought, you know me, I'd rather try and offer something practical if I can rather than just sympathy (though you certainly have that too)

The tramadol helps the pain. I have morphine if I need it, but I don't need it if tramadol does the trick for now.

My pain is centralized all around the same area and moves from one side to another, but it is primarily in the lower right side, where the tumor was/is.

I need something stronger to help me sleep. Sleep is essential for me. They gave me the lowest dose possible for Ativan, but I'm taking 3 to go to sleep now, and 3 aren't cutting it. I am calling Hospice this morning.

Hospice is well aware that I chose this route so I could be comfortable, pain-free, so as to enjoy as much as I can whatever time I have left. So I am sure they will give me whatever I need to achieve that.

It is very sad though that this is going a lot faster than I thought. The hospice inter-faith chaplain is coming over today, and I have much to speak to her about.

It's hard for me to look at my beautiful sunflower plants right outside my window and realize that I won't be here next summer to see them.

It's hard to stay strong when I'm emotionally falling apart. My husband isn't much emotional support (somehow he thinks if I get a good nights sleep, all will be well), and my friends have family responsibilities and I don't want to impose too much on them.

• Like 2

The tramadol helps the pain. I have morphine if I need it, but I don't need it if tramadol does the trick for now.

My pain is centralized all around the same area and moves from one side to another, but it is primarily in the lower right side, where the tumor was/is.

I need something stronger to help me sleep. Sleep is essential for me. They gave me the lowest dose possible for Ativan, but I'm taking 3 to go to sleep now, and 3 aren't cutting it. I am calling Hospice this morning.

Hospice is well aware that I chose this route so I could be comfortable, pain-free, so as to enjoy as much as I can whatever time I have left. So I am sure they will give me whatever I need to achieve that.

It is very sad though that this is going a lot faster than I thought. The hospice inter-faith chaplain is coming over today, and I have much to speak to her about.

It's hard for me to look at my beautiful sunflower plants right outside my window and realize that I won't be here next summer to see them.

It's hard to stay strong when I'm emotionally falling apart. My husband isn't much emotional support (somehow he thinks if I get a good nights sleep, all will be well), and my friends have family responsibilities and I don't want to impose too much on them.

Impose away on your family, I garuntee they won't mind

Tramadol is notorious for causing nausea/vomiting thoughit is good pain relief...I know that in the UK they often go straight for Morphine Sulphate tablets with oramorph liquid for breakthrough pain

You need something better for sleep ...Lorazepam (Ativan) is not a sleeping tablet but an anxiolitic (same family as Diazepam) which is for anxiety, not sleep

I'm sure the Hospice will sort things out for you meds wise.....perhaps a change in antiemetic as well?

• Like 2

Impose away on your family, I garuntee they won't mind

Tramadol is notorious for causing nausea/vomiting thoughit is good pain relief...I know that in the UK they often go straight for Morphine Sulphate tablets with oramorph liquid for breakthrough pain

You need something better for sleep ...Lorazepam (Ativan) is not a sleeping tablet but an anxiolitic (same family as Diazepam) which is for anxiety, not sleep

I'm sure the Hospice will sort things out for you meds wise.....perhaps a change in antiemetic as well?

You should've been a doctor, Fridge.

They pretty much told me what you just did. I'll let you know the names of the new pills when they get here later today.

But now I discovered I have blood clots in my poop. Noticed it has been two-tone for days and finally decided to find out why. It's clots. Now I have to call Hospice back again.

EDIT: Nurse thinks clots caused by Flagyl.

Edited by Lorraine