David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar?

_hi_water._

32 members have voted

1. 1. David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar? (main VH vocalists)

• David Lee Roth
    • Sammy Hagar
    • Actually, I like Gary Cherone better

Dave Lee Roth.

I have no ide who Gary Cherone is.

Gary Cherone is the lead singer for a band called "Extreme"

I holeheartedly endorse this post....

I'll see myself out now...

Rest In Peace Van Halen 3 (1997-1998)

VH3 isn't complete crap like everyone says, but it's definitely not great. It's... just okay. 6/10 by me.

Dave Lee Roth.

VH3 isn't complete crap like everyone says, but it's definitely not great. It's... just okay. 6/10 by me.

I love it up until Without You. Unfortunately, that`s Track 2 - the album opener being a 90 second instrumental.

The one who is a certified EMT behind awesome party anthems or the hit or miss covidiot who turned them into Journey on steroids? Hmmm.....

%20https%3A//imgur.com/i2ctbF7.jpg

Dave TV! I had that on VHS about thirty years ago :codger:

Dave Lee Roth.

It's not a good album. The problem was nobody was able to reign in Eddie. Roth and Hagar were able to do that, Cherone didn't. It's an over indulgent album.

Dave Lee Roth.

It's not a good album. The problem was nobody was able to reign in Eddie. Roth and Hagar were able to do that, Cherone didn't. It's an over indulgent album.

Well said. :hail:

A lot of comments seem to be suggesting Hagar is technically the better singer .... yet vote DLR .... fine if we are voting for

best singer in VH, rather than best singer ...... just sayin'

I don't think the poll is about who is the best singer. I took the "main VH vocalist" to indicate simply that they were the primary singer with others providing back up. Nowhere else does it say anything about the "best".

Yeah .. its just how you view this .. i saw a poll of DLR v Sammy ... who is the best ....?

Dave Lee Roth.

I love it up until Without You. Unfortunately, that`s Track 2 - the album opener being a 90 second instrumental.

The album is pretty good musically... for the most part. Without You, Fire In The Hole, Year To The Day, Primary, Ballot Or The Bullet...

Dave Lee Roth.

The album is pretty good musically... for the most part. Without You, Fire In The Hole, Year To The Day, Primary, Ballot Or The Bullet...

There`s just something off about my boy Eddie on this. I think partly it`s the complete control he had without any dissenting voices, but also it seems like his tone is kind of empty. I could listen to this and not know it was Eddie, and that was never the case on any other record.

5150 > 1984

OK, buddy. Have another one. ;)

Stand down brah, over the last few COVID months all I could think about was buying a T-top Trans Am. I imagined on a warm pleasant day I'd pop the tops and play the 5150 cassette. Guess what? I got the Trans Am, I ordered the 5150 and Journey Greatest Hits cassettes from eBay. I threw both of those cassettes in the dumpster 13 years ago. Never on my mind was that clown-show album 1984. Pro tip: when cruising down the boulevard playing the 5150 cassette hit the Auto/Reverse button flipping the cassette right after Why Can't This Be Love you'll pick up Love Walks In right from the beginning.

Todd In The Shadows hit the nail on the head.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwsficnHmhM[/media]

The worst is the last one because EVH can’t sing and it’s a lame attempt at a Roger Waters style Pink Floyd ballad from The Wall and Final Cut. Pathetic.

Good video! I actually watched his videos about Hootie & the Blowfish and MC Hammer, and he made some great points.

On the topic: I like both incarnations of the band, and while I think Dave is a much better lyricist and has a unique voice, Sammy is a better musician overall. The songs became more complex with him at the helm. Cherone doesn't count, since VH III for me is Eddie's solo album.

• Like 2

5150 > 1984

OK, buddy. Have another one. ;)

Stand down brah, over the last few COVID months all I could think about was buying a T-top Trans Am. I imagined on a warm pleasant day I'd pop the tops and play the 5150 cassette. Guess what? I got the Trans Am, I ordered the 5150 and Journey Greatest Hits cassettes from eBay. I threw both of those cassettes in the dumpster 13 years ago. Never on my mind was that clown-show album 1984. Pro tip: when cruising down the boulevard playing the 5150 cassette hit the Auto/Reverse button flipping the cassette right after Why Can't This Be Love you'll pick up Love Walks In right from the beginning.

It's a great album. All of the albums with Sammy are. But better than any of the first 6 with Dave? Please. Just stop.