David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar?

_hi_water._

32 members have voted

1. 1. David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar? (main VH vocalists)

• David Lee Roth
    • Sammy Hagar
    • Actually, I like Gary Cherone better

I often wonder what Dave would have done with the music from 5150 onwards. I can`t imagine he could have worked with it; it`s better suited to Sammy. I also wonder what butcherings would have occurred if Eddie presented Mean Street or Romeo Delight and said put some words to this, Sam. As for III, it would have been tough for any vocalist of any ability to make a special record as the music is just kinda... sad.

Listen to Dave on his solo albums "Eat 'Em And Smile," "Crazy From The Heat" and "Skyscraper." He kills it!

I certainly love Eat `Em and Smile - one helluva band behind him. Can`t really go far wrong with Steve Vai, Sheehan and Bissonette - although Skyscraper didn`t quite hit the same standard. It was the first Roth record I bought (I was 12) and it probably hasn`t aged well (like me). And yeah, Goose has a point about Stand Up. Hot Dog and a Shake might not be Dave at his wittiest either. Vai carried that record.

I have all Dave`s solo records, but it`s fair to say I don`t listen to Diamond Dave too often (ahem).

I listened to A Little Ain’t Enough recently and goddamn—that album has aged very well!

Skyscraper has not.

A Little Ain't Enough is great! Actually, Craig Goldie, of Dio fame, wrote a few songs for that album. I asked him about what it was like to work with Dave, and he was very candid about it.

My first concert was DLR, Birmingham NEC in support of that record. I remember buying it on release date in the lunch hour of my first day doing work experience. Amazing to think that Jason Becker a) first noticed problems in his legs during the recording, so missed the tour and b) he's still here 30 years on.

i saw a video of his recently - it was awesome. He’s still going strong.