Redskins Name Change

HemiBeers

It’s official, the name Redskins has been retired.

The new name and logo has yet to be named.

I can’t pretend that money wasn’t the deciding factor behind the decision, but it is a good decision.

I've just sent a mail to a friend in Washington. He's a season ticket holder .... not sure what his reaction will be.

He just replied ...... and he is mighty pissed off!!

I've been a Redskins fan since 1971 and outside of the hypocrisy of changing the name based on external pressure as opposed to doing the right thing, I don't see what the big deal is.

• Like 3

I read somewhere that Snyder trademarked Warriors a few years ago when the push for the change started up again. Purportedly the helmet is going to have the arrow/spear but the colors will be the same.

I'm against Red Tails. It's not a bad name, but that comes off as pandering right now IMO.

When are they going to change the name of the Celtics or at least that logo? Or the Fighting Irish?

Irish are usually too f***ing drunk to care. And when they're drunk, they're usually fighting so....

:outtahere:

• Like 1

I'm against Red Tails. It's not a bad name, but that comes off as pandering right now IMO.

I thought the same thing.

However, if there is push back regarding the name Warriors and logos, that's what we'll have.

------------------

In other news...

I hear Nancy Pelosi is at Fedex Field today trying out for the cheerleaders.

It's just smart business for a team to change uniforms, logos or even names; think of all the new merch they can sell to their froth-at-the-mouth fans.

There's some other teams that should change their name because they moved and their name no longer reflects their new location.

Examples:

Utah Jazz...kept the Jazz name after moving from New Orleans. But Utah is not a jazz mecca by any stretch.

Los Angeles Lakers...originally from Minny, land of 10,000 lakes. Not many lakes around LA unless you count the sewage treatment plants.

• Like 1

Redskin is seen by most Native Americans as offensive so I agree it's time has come.

Not surprisingly, that depends on who conducts the poll. The 2016 survey* sponsored by Redskins management famously found that only 10% objected (which is enough for me, btw). Similar results were found in a 2019 poll. But it's no surprise to me that a 2019 2020 study** out of Cal Berkeley/Michigan found that "...of those polled for the study, 57% who strongly identify with being Native American and 67% of those who frequently engage in tribal cultural practices were found to be deeply insulted by caricatures of Native American culture." I think it goes to show that one should always consider the source and methodology of any study before accepting its conclusions.

* https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/new-poll-finds-90-percent-native-americans-not-offended-redskins-name

** https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/

Details on the discrepancy and methodologies of the various studies:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/02/21/a-new-study-contradicts-a-washington-post-poll-about-how-native-americans-view-the-redskins-name/

When are they going to change the name of the Celtics......

Right after they start pronouncing it correctly. Celtics = /kel tiks/

• Like 2

It's just smart business for a team to change uniforms, logos or even names; think of all the new merch they can sell to their froth-at-the-mouth fans.

There's some other teams that should change their name because they moved and their name no longer reflects their new location.

Examples:

Utah Jazz...kept the Jazz name after moving from New Orleans. But Utah is not a jazz mecca by any stretch.

Los Angeles Lakers...originally from Minny, land of 10,000 lakes. Not many lakes around LA unless you count the sewage treatment plants.

Ultimately, it's a business decision. :yes:
  • Like 1

Examples:

I could see the Jazz changing their name, but "Los Angeles Lakers" is a recognizable and extremely popular brand worldwide and there's no way they ever change it. It would be like the New York Yankees changing their name -- it'll never happen, even though some might call for a change in this current climate.

• Like 1

It’s official, the name Redskins has been retired.

The new name and logo has yet to be named.

I can’t pretend that money wasn’t the deciding factor behind the decision, but it is a good decision.

I've just sent a mail to a friend in Washington. He's a season ticket holder .... not sure what his reaction will be.

He just replied ...... and he is mighty pissed off!!

I've been a Redskins fan since 1971 and outside of the hypocrisy of changing the name based on external pressure as opposed to doing the right thing, I don't see what the big deal is.

Unfortunately, in the current climate, there will be a lot of changes made purely on the basis of knee-jerk reaction .... you could probably take a million names and make a case for how

they may offend somebody or other.

I read somewhere that Snyder trademarked Warriors a few years ago when the push for the change started up again. Purportedly the helmet is going to have the arrow/spear but the colors will be the same.

When are they going to change the name of the Celtics or at least that logo? Or the Fighting Irish?

Irish are usually too f***ing drunk to care. And when they're drunk, they're usually fighting so....

Who says i'm drunk???? you lookin' for a fight????? :smash: :hail: :rfl:

Why don't you say that to my face?

:)

• Like 1

Examples:

I could see the Jazz changing their name, but "Los Angeles Lakers" is a recognizable and extremely popular brand worldwide and there's no way they ever change it. It would be like the New York Yankees changing their name -- it'll never happen, even though some might call for a change in this current climate.

true it happened ages ago so it would too much of a shock.

Memphis Grizzlies is another which was inherited from Vancouver. Last time I checked, there weren't too many Grizzlies in Memphis. The Memphis Blues would be a great name, although the St. Louis Blues might have an issue.

• Like 1

Examples:

Memphis Grizzlies is another which was inherited from Vancouver. Last time I checked, there weren't too many Grizzlies in Memphis. The Memphis Blues would be a great name, although the St. Louis Blues might have an issue.

Too bad for Memphis that the Kings is also taken.

TELEMMGLPICT000002676999_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqDAoCN0zt2fIWNcwvVaupU4MgS4Zd_nvCtxOLqYKfDhI.jpeg?imwidth=450

• Like 2

Examples:

TELEMMGLPICT000002676999_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqDAoCN0zt2fIWNcwvVaupU4MgS4Zd_nvCtxOLqYKfDhI.jpeg?imwidth=450

the barbecue kings!

cleveland should become the rockers. hall of fame and drew carey etc

i saw how a fan trademarked a lot of the alternative names in hopes of changing the name. supposedly he is not trying to cash in. surprisingly.

a good story.

i was thinking along the line of the washington windbags.

Just started following this satirist on Instagram a week ago. He’s hilarious. “Worshington!” :laughing guy:

Edit and update: Just saw why Dan Snyder is trending. Turns out the name change is the least controversial and important thing now because 2020 is still being it’s crazy 2020 self.

CIpzaXP.jpg

Edited by invisible airwave

Examples:

the barbecue kings!

cleveland should become the rockers. hall of fame and drew carey etc

i saw how a fan trademarked a lot of the alternative names in hopes of changing the name. supposedly he is not trying to cash in. surprisingly.

a good story.

i was thinking along the line of the washington windbags.

:LOL:

Any bets on when Dan Snyder sells his football team?

HUGE sexual harassment scandal rocks the franchise!

https://www.startribune.com/15-women-accuse-former-employees-of-washington-s-nfl-team-of-sexual-harassment-verbal-abuse/571795452/?refresh=true#comment

• Like 1

https://www.startrib...sh=true#comment

Can't happen soon enough.

I will be genuinely shocked if he doesn't sell the team within a year.

I will be genuinely shocked if he doesn't sell the team within a year.

now that this sexual harassment shituation is coming to the surface, I gotta wonder if the name change was only providing positive cover for the shitstorm.

Would a guy who's spent 20 years prioritizing not spending much money over winning games really sell his team when the value of the franchise is probably depressed? Between COVID-related economic uncertainty (the salary cap may drop next year, for instance), the renaming, the atmosphere of harassment, surely the price is pushed down?

He'd be wiser to hold on and try to sell in a year or two and collect the billions. Unless the ongoing is costing him whatever he'd make, I suppose.

Would a guy who's spent 20 years prioritizing not spending much money over winning games really sell his team when the value of the franchise is probably depressed? Between COVID-related economic uncertainty (the salary cap may drop next year, for instance), the renaming, the atmosphere of harassment, surely the price is pushed down?

He'd be wiser to hold on and try to sell in a year or two and collect the billions. Unless the ongoing is costing him whatever he'd make, I suppose.

oh he'll get paid handsomely if he sells now. Controversy didn't hold back the sale of the Carolina franchise.