Redskins Name Change

HemiBeers

Where I disagree with you is the prospect of the Redskins maintaining their current logo. You hear a lot about changing the name because that is the big enchilada. But the folks who are spear heading this drive also want the logo gone. No Native American iconography or symbols. Some are even opposed to any reference to Native Americans. They are people, not mascots.

I completely see your point.

I guess I was thinking with the name Warriors it would be more of a celebration of the spirit of the various nations.

Especially if there was a financial commitment to offer assistance where needed most.

Sound naive?

—————————

If they change name, logo, colours, etc., will you stick with them or change teams?

If so, what team would you choose?

He roots for a team with a frigging puny ass turtle for a mascot, so...

It's a terrapin. So?

Fixed in the quote string above

I know I plucked a nerve when I threw shade on your Dolphins. But you should be happy now. You have Tua. At least until his hip pops out again. Ouch!

We'll see. I'd much rather have Tua than Haskins. At least you have a decent coach now.

I really hope Tua works out for you guys.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about Haskins and the off season he's having. Having Ron Rivera and Jack del Rio are huge pluses. And the defense should be greatly improved with Chase Young and other players coming back healthy.

Where I disagree with you is the prospect of the Redskins maintaining their current logo. You hear a lot about changing the name because that is the big enchilada. But the folks who are spear heading this drive also want the logo gone. No Native American iconography or symbols. Some are even opposed to any reference to Native Americans. They are people, not mascots.

I guess I was thinking with the name Warriors it would be more of a celebration of the spirit of the various nations.

Especially if there was a financial commitment to offer assistance where needed most.

Sound naive?

—————————

If they change name, logo, colours, etc., will you stick with them or change teams?

He roots for a team with a frigging puny ass turtle for a mascot, so...

It's a terrapin. So?

Fixed in the quote string above

I know I plucked a nerve when I threw shade on your Dolphins. But you should be happy now. You have Tua. At least until his hip pops out again. Ouch!

We'll see. I'd much rather have Tua than Haskins. At least you have a decent coach now.

I really hope Tua works out for you guys.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about Haskins and the off season he's having. Having Ron Rivera and Jack del Rio are huge pluses. And the defense should be greatly improved with Chase Young and other players coming back healthy.

Don't forget you play in the shittiest division in the league.

Right before kickoff:

Oh Warrrriors! Come out and plaaaaay.....

qYGiKkL.jpg

A culturally diverse group. ;)

They are certainly an Equal Opportunity Employer!

Right before kickoff:

Oh Warrrriors! Come out and plaaaaay.....

qYGiKkL.jpg

A culturally diverse group. ;)

Yeah, but it looks like there may be some questionable cultural appropriation going on there . . .

Don't forget you play in the shittiest division in the league.

If the Washington DCs are better, and the Eagles don't have the injury problems they had, along with the Cowboys improving (oh, it's happening!), that division won't be the mediocrity bowl it was last year.

• Like 1

Not a name change but there's some talk about the fleur de lis in the Saints logo, with its connection to the brutal history of slavery.

Interesting...

In Mauritius, slaves were branded with a fleur-de-lis, when being punished for escaping or stealing food.[14]

The fleur-de-lis (or flower de Luce) could be branded on slaves as punishment for certain offenses in French Louisiana. For instance, the Louisiana Code Noir (1724) stated:

XXXII. The runaway slave, who shall continue to be so for one month from the day of his being denounced to the officers of justice, shall have his ears cut off, and shall be branded with the flower de luce on the shoulder: and on a second offence of the same nature, persisted in during one month from the day of his being denounced, he shall be hamstrung, and be marked with the flower de luce on the other shoulder. On the third offence, he shall suffer death".

The Code Noir was an arrangement of controls received in Louisiana in 1724 from other French settlements around the globe, intended to represent the state's slave populace. Those guidelines included marking slaves with the fleur-de-lis as discipline for fleeing.[16]

I imagine just about any symbol is traceable to oppression at some level in some kind of context.

Edited by goose

I imagine just about any symbol is traceable to oppression at some level in some kind of context.

If only people would trace certain symbols back to their original benevolent meaning and keep them that way, such as the ancient Hindu symbol for well being, good luck and prosperity....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MSZspNBhl7M/Sl6jLara-TI/AAAAAAAACzY/ItEpOK0jWUA/s200/swastilka.jpg

• Like 2

Not a name change but there's some talk about the fleur de lis in the Saints logo, with its connection to the brutal history of slavery.

Interesting...

In Mauritius, slaves were branded with a fleur-de-lis, when being punished for escaping or stealing food.[14]

The fleur-de-lis (or flower de Luce) could be branded on slaves as punishment for certain offenses in French Louisiana. For instance, the Louisiana Code Noir (1724) stated:

XXXII. The runaway slave, who shall continue to be so for one month from the day of his being denounced to the officers of justice, shall have his ears cut off, and shall be branded with the flower de luce on the shoulder: and on a second offence of the same nature, persisted in during one month from the day of his being denounced, he shall be hamstrung, and be marked with the flower de luce on the other shoulder. On the third offence, he shall suffer death".

The Code Noir was an arrangement of controls received in Louisiana in 1724 from other French settlements around the globe, intended to represent the state's slave populace. Those guidelines included marking slaves with the fleur-de-lis as discipline for fleeing.[16]

Frantically searching to see if Curly Lambeau paid sub living wages to his employees in the 1920s or Paul Brown sent some problematic tweets in the 1930s.

• Like 1

New Warriors 'gladiator' logo...

:boo hiss: :boo hiss:

• Like 2

I heard on the radio today some are suggesting the change to Cleveland Blues, which I believe was the name of the team previously. I don't have a stake in that, just glad that Wahoo is gone.

Through the early part of the 19th century, American Indians continued to use their native word self-referentially, and it was translated into spoken and written English as redskin with no derogatory connotations, even as a term of respect. However, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, within the historical context of white-Indian hostilities, use of the term redskin was associated with attitudes of contempt and condescension. By the 1960s, redskin had declined in use; because of heightened cultural sensitivities, it was perceived as offensive. Yet use of the term survives in the names of some sports teams.

My take on this is this is like other ethnic groups, they use a term amongst themselves that may have derogatory connotations but when white culture attempts to use it then it is seen as offensive. Redskin is seen by most Native Americans as offensive so I agree it's time has come.

Back in 2005 the NCAA did a review of schools who had Native American mascots for their teams and 12 teams changed their name and/or mascots. About 5 of the schools attempted to change the names but for various reasons and court rulings either did not change them or are still in the process of determining what they will do. Waivers were granted to 5 schools, one of which is the University of Utah. The school had an Indian mascot back in the 60's with an Indian warrior riding a horse at the football games and our basketball team was called the Redskins at one point. This stopped when the Ute tribe complained. In 1996 the U worked with the tribe to design a logo and was given permission to continue to call the team the Utes. The basketball team is called the Running Utes (a nod to reservation basketball). We adopted Swoop, a red-tailed hawk( a sacred bird in Ute circles) as our mascot and settled on the Drum and Feather logo (similar to what Washington had used). Since then the U has worked with the tribe to bring awareness to their cultural heritage and instituted more scholarships for Utes and other Native Americans to attend. We have specific merchandise that the proceeds goes to for those scholarships. The tribe has said that it likes the public awareness that the use of Utes brings. We just renewed the agreement with the tribe this year.

I am hopeful the Blackhawks (being a big fan) may find a way to change, get rid of Tommy Hawk mascot for one. While I agree with the general intent of changing the mascots to be less offensive to Native Americans, it is not a cut and dried issue as some would say. Time will tell I guess.

Sound naive?

—————————

I still live in the area root for all DC teams. So unless they do something really awful/stupid with this, they will continue to be my team. Snyder may have to give up the name and logo, but I'd be shocked if he gave up the colors.

Most likely, they are not discussing whether to keep the name or logo, they are discussing what the new name will be and what the new logo will look like.

As you mentioned above, there have probably been contingency plans in place for years, with names, logos, marketing strategies, etc. just waiting for be deployed.

The biggest positive I can see coming from this is that the Sports media press will finally quite their incessant, infantile bitching about this. That is, after they publish a few days worth of how Snyder is still a terrible for person for doing the right thing for the wrong reason, and taking so long to do it (you know it's coming.)

It will be nice to have the football team just be about football without the PC SJW's providing a constant din.

I thought you were from Texas, SRV country or EJ country or Johnny Winter country. In fact I heard that your nickname was THE TEXAS BLUEBEARD!

I heard on the radio today some are suggesting the change to Cleveland Blues, which I believe was the name of the team previously. I don't have a stake in that, just glad that Wahoo is gone.

Through the early part of the 19th century, American Indians continued to use their native word self-referentially, and it was translated into spoken and written English as redskin with no derogatory connotations, even as a term of respect. However, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, within the historical context of white-Indian hostilities, use of the term redskin was associated with attitudes of contempt and condescension. By the 1960s, redskin had declined in use; because of heightened cultural sensitivities, it was perceived as offensive. Yet use of the term survives in the names of some sports teams.

My take on this is this is like other ethnic groups, they use a term amongst themselves that may have derogatory connotations but when white culture attempts to use it then it is seen as offensive. Redskin is seen by most Native Americans as offensive so I agree it's time has come.

Back in 2005 the NCAA did a review of schools who had Native American mascots for their teams and 12 teams changed their name and/or mascots. About 5 of the schools attempted to change the names but for various reasons and court rulings either did not change them or are still in the process of determining what they will do. Waivers were granted to 5 schools, one of which is the University of Utah. The school had an Indian mascot back in the 60's with an Indian warrior riding a horse at the football games and our basketball team was called the Redskins at one point. This stopped when the Ute tribe complained. In 1996 the U worked with the tribe to design a logo and was given permission to continue to call the team the Utes. The basketball team is called the Running Utes (a nod to reservation basketball). We adopted Swoop, a red-tailed hawk( a sacred bird in Ute circles) as our mascot and settled on the Drum and Feather logo (similar to what Washington had used). Since then the U has worked with the tribe to bring awareness to their cultural heritage and instituted more scholarships for Utes and other Native Americans to attend. We have specific merchandise that the proceeds goes to for those scholarships. The tribe has said that it likes the public awareness that the use of Utes brings. We just renewed the agreement with the tribe this year.

I am hopeful the Blackhawks (being a big fan) may find a way to change, get rid of Tommy Hawk mascot for one. While I agree with the general intent of changing the mascots to be less offensive to Native Americans, it is not a cut and dried issue as some would say. Time will tell I guess.

Are they moving to Cleveland as well?

I think the Browns should move to Texas and be renamed the Billy Gibbons Down Brownies.

120l_red_gwb.jpg

How about The Washington Redbins?

That would be fitting on so many levels, but for the terrible pun . . . :bitchslap:

yes..... it wasn't exactly a sophisticated piece of wordplay! :facepalm:
  • Like 1

Looks like it's gonna be Warriors. And here's an article full of blah blah blah about it. Fine...Warriors...don't put anything referring to Native Americans in the logo and move on.

https://www.si.com/nfl/redskins/news/espn-source-sooner-than-later-for-a-new-name-warriors

Looks like it's gonna be Warriors. And here's an article full of blah blah blah about it. Fine...Warriors...don't put anything referring to Native Americans in the logo and move on.

https://www.si.com/n...w-name-warriors

I think they'll just put John McCain on the helmet and be done with it.

• Like 2

It’s official, the name Redskins has been retired.

The new name and logo has yet to be named.

I can’t pretend that money wasn’t the deciding factor behind the decision, but it is a good decision.

• Like 4

I can’t pretend that money wasn’t the deciding factor behind the decision, but it is a good decision.

I've just sent a mail to a friend in Washington. He's a season ticket holder .... not sure what his reaction will be.
  • Like 1

I read somewhere that Snyder trademarked Warriors a few years ago when the push for the change started up again. Purportedly the helmet is going to have the arrow/spear but the colors will be the same.

I'm against Red Tails. It's not a bad name, but that comes off as pandering right now IMO.

When are they going to change the name of the Celtics or at least that logo? Or the Fighting Irish?

• Like 1

I've just sent a mail to a friend in Washington. He's a season ticket holder .... not sure what his reaction will be.

He just replied ...... and he is mighty pissed off!!
  • Like 1