What band or artist has the most consecutive great albums?

Who takes the cake? Is it Van Halen? Black Sabbath? Rush? David Bowie? The Sex Pistols???? ( :P ) Give you choice below!

Let's see . . .

Rush: 2112, AFtK, Hemispheres, Pew, Moving Pictures, Signals, GUP, Power Windows . . . that's eight, but I'm squishy on Signals

Led Zeppelin: I, II, III, IV, HotH, Physical Graffiti . . . that's six

Pink Floyd: Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, DSOTM (that's right, Lorraine!), WYWH, Animals, The Wall . . . that's six

Genesis: Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling, The Lamb, ATotT, Wind & Wuthering . . . that's six

I'm noticing a pattern; six is hard to top . . .

Edited by Nova Carmina
  • Like 2

I'd have to say Van Halen's first 6. You could argue for Sabbath's and Zeppelin's first 6 as well. The Stones 5 album run from Beggar's Banquet to Goat's Head Soup deserves mention.

I knew this would draw your attention! :)

So it's VH over Sabbath for you?

• Like 1

Nightwish:

Oceanborn

Wishmaster

Century Child

Once

Dark Passion Play

Imaginaerum

Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Human Nature

Total: 8

Bruce Springsteen:

Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.

The Wild, The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle

Born To Run

Darkness On The Edge Of Town

The River

Nebraska

Born In The USA

Tunnel Of Love

Total: 8

Those are my two.

Both have albums I obviously like less, but I regard all as great.

• Like 3

I'd have to say Van Halen's first 6. You could argue for Sabbath's and Zeppelin's first 6 as well. The Stones 5 album run from Beggar's Banquet to Goat's Head Soup deserves mention.

I knew this would draw your attention! :)

So it's VH over Sabbath for you?

Van Halen is the only band that I am ALWAYS in the mood for. If I'm listening to their 1st 6 albums on shuffle, there is literally not a single one I skip. And every song of theirs makes me smile.

• Like 3

To maximise 'greatness' i'll go for 5 consecutive truly great albums (IMHO!) -

Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Zeppelin - 2, 3, 4, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti (could have included 1 but that would make 6!)

Genesis - Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, Lam Lies Down On Broadway, A Trick of the Tail

Jethro Tull - Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, A Passion Play

Yes - The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Relayer

Rush - 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures

Those are the first that sprung to mind, there are more but as my newly created motto says .... Perhaps it's an age thing™ !!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 3

Earl Ramer and his band of Clueless Tambourine Swallowers on Ice. Who can compare to their 12 album run from 1956 to 1961??

Legendary!
  • Like 1

Could it be The Beatles?

The run from A Hard Day's Night through Let It Be is like 9 in a row, though it might be controversial to call Help or Let It Be truly great.

• Like 2

lots but i think Elton's john's 70's run from Elton john-Captain Fantastic is my all time fav.

Mick

Would you go as far as Blue Moves?

Could it be The Beatles?

The run from A Hard Day's Night through Let It Be is like 9 in a row, though it might be controversial to call Help or Let It Be truly great.

I think the Beatles are almost ineligible for these types of things because in my eyes they’re perfect.

• Like 3

And what about Bowie?

Hardcore fans often say he was untouchable in the 70s, so if you count every one of his 70s albums (minus the covers album) and toss in Scary Monsters and Let's Dance for good measure, that's 12.

Admittedly I haven't heard The Man Who Sold The World yet, but I've heard the rest of that run and it is phenomenal. I will say there's a bit of a dip around Diamond Dogs / Young Americans as Bowie loses himself to cocaine and weird fascist books for a while and tries to figure out how to move past Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders, but neither of them are half bad and he picks things right back up with Station To Station.

• Like 3

Could it be The Beatles?

I think the Beatles are almost ineligible for these types of things because in my eyes they’re perfect.

True. Yet if we're giving credit where credit's due, the run from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road at least is phenomenal and goes toe to toe with any other famous 6 album run.

• Like 2

Rush

King Crimsom

Joe Jackson

John Zorn

KC! I've heard everything from their first run except Larks' Tongues In Aspic, but if that's as good as they say then there's at least 7, possibly more depending on how great their later incarnations are.

rush

steely dan

lynyrd skynrd

genesis

pink floyd

van halen

led zeppelin

porcupine tree

and of course ozric tentacles. if you like what Ed does, he has been doing it very well for many years. Ed and Buckethead are my under the radar rock stars.

Edited by tangy
  • Like 1

Rush

King Crimsom

Joe Jackson

John Zorn

KC! I've heard everything from their first run except Larks' Tongues In Aspic, but if that's as good as they say then there's at least 7, possibly more depending on how great their later incarnations are.

I think they are all great though I do prefer the live songs more.

• Like 1

Could it be The Beatles?

Help! is one of the greatest pop albums of all time. It's not controversial at all. To call it otherwise is ridiculous to me.

• Like 2

Could it be The Beatles?

Help! is one of the greatest pop albums of all time. It's not controversial at all. To call it otherwise is ridiculous to me.

Fair. I see people talk about Hard Day's Night as a great early Beatles album all the time, but I don't see as much love for Help. But maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

• Like 2

Could it be The Beatles?

Great songs on every album, but each album has some duds, imo. That perception could be due to the duds being along side absolutely perfect songs, though.
  • Like 1