What band or artist has the most consecutive great albums?

rush

steely dan

lynyrd skynrd

genesis

pink floyd

van halen

led zeppelin

porcupine tree

and of course ozric tentacles. if you like what Ed does, he has been doing it very well for many years. Ed and Buckethead are my under the radar rock stars.

Can't forget the Dan. They had quite a run of great albums too.

• Like 1

I'd have to say Van Halen's first 6. You could argue for Sabbath's and Zeppelin's first 6 as well. The Stones 5 album run from Beggar's Banquet to Goat's Head Soup deserves mention.

This thread is like feeding roasted peanuts to a baby elephant! What?

All ABBA records. Sorry Pat.

AC/DC All Bon Scott recordings. 5.5 albums.......

ACCEPT!

Accept

I'm A Rebel

Breaker

Fast As A Shark

Balls To The Wall

Metal Heart

Russian Roulette (one of the most underrated fuckking metal albums on the Earth)

First 6 Alan Parsons Project albums...

Tales

I Robot

Pyramind

Eve

Trick

Eye

First five ANGEL records.

First 5 Bad Company records.

Billy Joel. Everything up to "The Nylon Curtin." "Innocent Man" sucks.

Blackfield I-V

First five Blondie records.

Every Blue Oyster Cult album up to "Club Ninja!" For PAT AND 73!!!! LOL

First 8 Camel records. Yes, "Nude" is great.

Def Leppard. 5.5 albums. The EP up to "Adrenalize."

First 5 Dokken albums. "Dysfunctional" kicks ass.

First five Dead Kennedy records. FRANKENCHRIST!!!!

First 6 Doobie Brothers records. I included "Taking It To The Streets" but Michael McDonald ruined that incredible band.

Elton John. A decade of masterpieces......1969-1979

FISHBONE!! FOR RERUSHED! So many albums and eps. EVERYTHING RULES!!!! "CRAZY GLUE!" 10 albums and eps.

Every Genesis album made!!!! "Calling All Stations" is a masterpiece.

Everything by GHOST!

Every album by IQ

First seven by Maiden.

Everything by Priest up to "Defenders."

KANSAS 1974-1980. For Pat and 73!

Every KISS record up to "Crazy Nights."

Marillion "Script" to "Brave"

First 5 Crue.

First 14 Neil Diamond albums.

Every OZZY record to "Ozzmosis."

First 6 Pendragon albums.

First 6 Townshend solo albums.

First 6 Rainbow albums.

Ahhh yes. My favorite part of this thread. RATT N ROLL BABY!!!!!!!! 7.5 albums in a row!!!!!!!! RATT EP to "Infestation."

First six Chili Peppers records.

All 9 SAVATAGE albums!!!! I am the "CITY BENEATH THE SURFACE!"

First 7 SAXON albums.

Every Scorpions album up to "Savage Amusement." Polished MTV commercial album but so slick and melodic.

First five Simon And Garfunkel albums.

First five STEEL PANTHER records!!! This band is saving METAL!

7 Steely Dan records all in a row.

The first ten STYX albums. Sorry PAT!!!!

All 11 Thin Lizzy records. Sorry Pat, I love the early Decca stuff.

First 5 TNT albums!

First 6 TOOL

First 5 Tower Of Power records

First 8 Triumph albums.

First 5 Twisted Sister albums.

First 5 U2 records

First 9 UFO albums. RIP PAUL CHAPMAN

Van Halen. The greatest six pack ever.

All 12 Whitesnake albums. "Purple Album" counts.

Every WHO record to "It's Hard." Saw that tour. Day On The Green. The Clash opened. Epic.

Oh yessssssss.................

Time to pimp one of the greatest bands in the world that not many care about...

YESTERDAY & TODAY and Y&T!

BEST SIX ALBUMS IN A ROW! Possibly......

Yesterday & Today

Struck Down

Earthshaker

Black Tiger

Mean Streak

In Rock We Trust

Every YES album to "BIG GENERATOR!" love that record.

Every ZZ TOP record to "Recycler."

YYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 3

Earl, Bon had six studio albums, plus If You Want Blood.

High Voltage

TNT

Dirty Deeds

Let There Be Rock

Powerage

[if You Want Blood You've Got It]

Highway to Hell

Was your .5 for Back in Black? ;)

• Like 1

I'd have to say Van Halen's first 6. You could argue for Sabbath's and Zeppelin's first 6 as well. The Stones 5 album run from Beggar's Banquet to Goat's Head Soup deserves mention.

This thread is like feeding roasted peanuts to a baby elephant! What?

All ABBA records. Sorry Pat.

AC/DC All Bon Scott recordings. 5.5 albums.......

ACCEPT!

Accept

I'm A Rebel

Breaker

Fast As A Shark

Balls To The Wall

Metal Heart

Russian Roulette (one of the most underrated fuckking metal albums on the Earth)

First 6 Alan Parsons Project albums...

Tales

I Robot

Pyramind

Eve

Trick

Eye

First five ANGEL records.

First 5 Bad Company records.

Billy Joel. Everything up to "The Nylon Curtin." "Innocent Man" sucks.

Blackfield I-V

First five Blondie records.

Every Blue Oyster Cult album up to "Club Ninja!" For PAT AND 73!!!! LOL

First 8 Camel records. Yes, "Nude" is great.

Def Leppard. 5.5 albums. The EP up to "Adrenalize."

First 5 Dokken albums. "Dysfunctional" kicks ass.

First five Dead Kennedy records. FRANKENCHRIST!!!!

First 6 Doobie Brothers records. I included "Taking It To The Streets" but Michael McDonald ruined that incredible band.

Elton John. A decade of masterpieces......1969-1979

FISHBONE!! FOR RERUSHED! So many albums and eps. EVERYTHING RULES!!!! "CRAZY GLUE!" 10 albums and eps.

Everything by GHOST!

Every album by IQ

First seven by Maiden.

Everything by Priest up to "Defenders."

KANSAS 1974-1980. For Pat and 73!

Every KISS record up to "Crazy Nights."

Marillion "Script" to "Brave"

First 5 Crue.

First 14 Neil Diamond albums.

Every OZZY record to "Ozzmosis."

First 6 Pendragon albums.

First 6 Townshend solo albums.

First 6 Rainbow albums.

Ahhh yes. My favorite part of this thread. RATT N ROLL BABY!!!!!!!! 7.5 albums in a row!!!!!!!! RATT EP to "Infestation."

First six Chili Peppers records.

All 9 SAVATAGE albums!!!! I am the "CITY BENEATH THE SURFACE!"

First 7 SAXON albums.

Every Scorpions album up to "Savage Amusement." Polished MTV commercial album but so slick and melodic.

First five Simon And Garfunkel albums.

First five STEEL PANTHER records!!! This band is saving METAL!

7 Steely Dan records all in a row.

The first ten STYX albums. Sorry PAT!!!!

All 11 Thin Lizzy records. Sorry Pat, I love the early Decca stuff.

First 5 TNT albums!

First 6 TOOL

First 5 Tower Of Power records

First 8 Triumph albums.

First 5 Twisted Sister albums.

First 5 U2 records

First 9 UFO albums. RIP PAUL CHAPMAN

Van Halen. The greatest six pack ever.

All 12 Whitesnake albums. "Purple Album" counts.

Every WHO record to "It's Hard." Saw that tour. Day On The Green. The Clash opened. Epic.

Oh yessssssss.................

Time to pimp one of the greatest bands in the world that not many care about...

YESTERDAY & TODAY and Y&T!

BEST SIX ALBUMS IN A ROW! Possibly......

Yesterday & Today

Struck Down

Earthshaker

Black Tiger

Mean Streak

In Rock We Trust

Every YES album to "BIG GENERATOR!" love that record.

Every ZZ TOP record to "Recycler."

YYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I didn't know this would spark an alphabetical list of Earl's favorite bands and albums. Awesome! :)

• Like 2

Even From Genesis To Revelation?

• Like 1

And what about Bowie?

Hardcore fans often say he was untouchable in the 70s, so if you count every one of his 70s albums (minus the covers album) and toss in Scary Monsters and Let's Dance for good measure, that's 12.

Admittedly I haven't heard The Man Who Sold The World yet, but I've heard the rest of that run and it is phenomenal. I will say there's a bit of a dip around Diamond Dogs / Young Americans as Bowie loses himself to cocaine and weird fascist books for a while and tries to figure out how to move past Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders, but neither of them are half bad and he picks things right back up with Station To Station.

I considered Bowie for my selections (I have a lot of time for much of his stuff) and certainly The Man Who Sold the World through to Aladdin Sane are in my eye some of the finest albums ever recorded ....However ...

that is only 4 in a row. I didn't think the albums either side of these (ie. David Bowie and Pin Ups) were bona fide classics. Just my thoughts!

hehehe .... I thought Genesis to Revelation was a real clunker ... but the band was just starting. I included the next 5 Genesis albums in my selections. I lost interest in Genesis after Wind and Wuthering ......

bad enough to lose Peter Gabriel, but to also lose Steve Hackett was just too much for this old progster to take!!!

• Like 1

Could it be The Beatles?

The run from A Hard Day's Night through Let It Be is like 9 in a row, though it might be controversial to call Help or Let It Be truly great.

Help! is one of the greatest pop albums of all time. It's not controversial at all. To call it otherwise is ridiculous to me.

Fair. I see people talk about Hard Day's Night as a great early Beatles album all the time, but I don't see as much love for Help. But maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Hmmm The Beatles are a tricky one ..... as a singles band they are unsurpassed. However in terms of albums, i think their first real 'great' album was Rubber Soul. Loads of great ones post Rubber soul ... Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, Abbey Road etc but also the odd duffer like Yellow Sumarine.
  • Like 1

And what about Bowie?

Hardcore fans often say he was untouchable in the 70s, so if you count every one of his 70s albums (minus the covers album) and toss in Scary Monsters and Let's Dance for good measure, that's 12.

Admittedly I haven't heard The Man Who Sold The World yet, but I've heard the rest of that run and it is phenomenal. I will say there's a bit of a dip around Diamond Dogs / Young Americans as Bowie loses himself to cocaine and weird fascist books for a while and tries to figure out how to move past Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders, but neither of them are half bad and he picks things right back up with Station To Station.

I considered Bowie for my selections (I have a lot of time for much of his stuff) and certainly The Man Who Sold the World through to Aladdin Sane are in my eye some of the finest albums ever recorded ....However ...

that is only 4 in a row. I didn't think the albums either side of these (ie. David Bowie and Pin Ups) were bona fide classics. Just my thoughts!

I don't think Pin Ups counts being a covers album, you can skip straight to Diamond Dogs. How far would you go past that?

• Like 1

hehehe .... I thought Genesis to Revelation was a real clunker ... but the band was just starting. I included the next 5 Genesis albums in my selections. I lost interest in Genesis after Wind and Wuthering ......

bad enough to lose Peter Gabriel, but to also lose Steve Hackett was just too much for this old progster to take!!!

It's definitely a product of its time. On one hand there's nothing unlistenable or unpleasant about it, on the other hand there isn't much about it at all. Just Gabriel's voice and a touch of piano. They definitely turned it up a notch on Tresspass, and really came into their own on Nursery Cryme.

• Like 2

Could it be The Beatles?

The run from A Hard Day's Night through Let It Be is like 9 in a row, though it might be controversial to call Help or Let It Be truly great.

Help! is one of the greatest pop albums of all time. It's not controversial at all. To call it otherwise is ridiculous to me.

Fair. I see people talk about Hard Day's Night as a great early Beatles album all the time, but I don't see as much love for Help. But maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Hmmm The Beatles are a tricky one ..... as a singles band they are unsurpassed. However in terms of albums, i think their first real 'great' album was Rubber Soul. Loads of great ones post Rubber soul ... Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, Abbey Road etc but also the odd duffer like Yellow Sumarine.

I also don't think Yellow Submarine really counts as a proper studio album. I mean half of it is just George Martin composing for an orchestra. Hardly a real product of The Beatles proper. And besides, the other side barely has an EP's worth of new material. Though, by that logic, I guess it's questionable whether or not to include Magical Mystery Tour either.

• Like 1

And what about Bowie?

I don't think Pin Ups counts being a covers album, you can skip straight to Diamond Dogs. How far would you go past that?

For the next bunch of albums I only really liked Station to Station, Low and Heroes. I just could not like Young Americans. After Heroes it was all a bit sporadic for me!
  • Like 2

And what about Bowie?

For the next bunch of albums I only really liked Station to Station, Low and Heroes. I just could not like Young Americans. After Heroes it was all a bit sporadic for me!

Fair enough!

• Like 1

It's definitely a product of its time. On one hand there's nothing unlistenable or unpleasant about it, on the other hand there isn't much about it at all. Just Gabriel's voice and a touch of piano. They definitely turned it up a notch on Tresspass, and really came into their own on Nursery Cryme.

For me personally, my favourite Genesis album is Selling England By The Pound .... i go back to it time and time again.
  • Like 2

Could it be The Beatles?

I also don't think Yellow Submarine really counts as a proper studio album. I mean half of it is just George Martin composing for an orchestra. Hardly a real product of The Beatles proper. And besides, the other side barely has an EP's worth of new material. Though, by that logic, I guess it's questionable whether or not to include Magical Mystery Tour either.

True, and if you look at their discography, they brought different albums out in the US compared to UK especially in the early days.
  • Like 1

For me personally, my favourite Genesis album is Selling England By The Pound .... i go back to it time and time again.

That one's been a real grower for me since becoming a big Genesis fan a few years ago. I'm more partial to Foxtrot myself though.

• Like 2

Could it be The Beatles?

True, and if you look at their discography, they brought different albums out in the US compared to UK especially in the early days.

Indeed. I have to wonder if they just didn't predict that eventually that practice would be phased out as more and more British records got popular in America or if there was a good reason to keep printing different versions as long as possible.

• Like 1

That one's been a real grower for me since becoming a big Genesis fan a few years ago. I'm more partial to Foxtrot myself though.

Hey ..... Foxtrot is a great album .... one of the classics. TBH there is very little between Nursery Crymes, Foxtrot, Selling England and Lamb Lies Down.
  • Like 2

Could it be The Beatles?

Indeed. I have to wonder if they just didn't predict that eventually that practice would be phased out as more and more British records got popular in America or if there was a good reason to keep printing different versions as long as possible.

Not Sure ... I know they were on different labels between UK and US ... perhaps in the early days the labels had more control and could put out what they liked or what they thought the particular geographical market would like? As the Beatles got bigger and bigger, they were perhaps more of a global entity and then just issued albums on a global level?
  • Like 1

Yeah, not sure the first album is actually ‘good’ by any measure never mind a masterpiece. Trespass is decidedly meh overall and I think of the (tenuously) Prog albums, WaW and TTWT are only ok.

I’m not a great judge of their ‘pop’ albums but I find them progressively unlistenable culminating with the ill-advised ‘Calling All Radio Stations’.

• Like 2

Yeah, not sure the first album is actually ‘good’ by any measure never mind a masterpiece. Trespass is decidedly meh overall and I think of the (tenuously) Prog albums, WaW and TTWT are only ok.

I’m not a great judge of their ‘pop’ albums but I find them progressively unlistenable culminating with the ill-advised ‘Calling All Radio Stations’.

After Then There Were Three they just became a commercial combo...... I lost all interest.
  • Like 2