Which band do you prefer?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which band do you prefer, the Police or Def Leppard?

2. 2. Which album was better?

3. 3. Which 1983 album was better?

I enjoy some Def Leppard, but to this day I never understood their popularity and longevity. I am baffled.They have some good/very good songs but mostly they hit me as very ordinary. Oh yeah, "Pour Some Sugar on Me" is as awful as a song can be. They ride coattails.

The Police are great. Great songs, great concerts, great musicianship. Every album was a step, some times a small step, in a different direction. Punk poseurs to pop perfectionists.

• Like 5

I enjoy some Def Leppard, but to this day I never understood their popularity and longevity. I am baffled.They have some good/very good songs but mostly they hit me as very ordinary. Oh yeah, "Pour Some Sugar on Me" is as awful as a song can be. They ride coattails.

The Police are great. Great songs, great concerts, great musicianship. Every album was a step, some times a small step, in a different direction. Punk poseurs to pop perfectionists.

Hey it's interesting to note that Andy Summers is a lot older than the other two. Sting and Copeland are 67 and 68 but Andy is 77, which makes him older than Jagger and KEEF and only six months younger than Paul McCartney. He's also older than Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, Ray Davies, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and just about everyone else in the music scene apart from Ringo Starr

• Like 3

Voted for Def Leppard all 3 times. For me its not even close.

The Police are ok but don't really do much for me. Don't dislike but their just ho-hum.

Def Leppard had 1 very good album, then 2 great (and I mean, really great) albums that did not have a bad song on them and were loaded with great songs, then an album that was ok (but what a fall off after the 2 albums b4 it) with some decent songs and then an underrated album that was very good but still a disappointment. I thought adding Vivian Campbell who had played on Dio' first 3 albums might be a big musical help and take them back to their roots. It did not. Still, in some ways Adrenalyze was better than Hysteria.

I have not been thrilled with their subsequent work - but they can still play live.

Once upon a time DL was my favorite group. That was before I really got into Rush but to this day my ranking of groups (based on how much I liked their music) would be:

1. Rush (way out in front)

2. Nightwish

3. A big pack of groups including (but not limited to) The Who, Journey, Def Leppard, Priest, Maiden, Triumph, CCR, Bob Seger, Savatage, Dokken.

Hey it's interesting to note that Andy Summers is a lot older than the other two. Sting and Copeland are 67 and 68 but Andy is 77, which makes him older than Jagger and KEEF and only six months younger than Paul McCartney. He's also older than Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, Ray Davies, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and just about everyone else in the music scene apart from Ringo Starr

Apart from Ringo Starr and Charlie Watts! :P :LOL:

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

I'll say it again, Charlie Watts was playing drums in pro bands in 1959 and was world famous in 1964. Where was Andy Summers in 1959? Doing a paper round? Summers wasn't known outside his immediate family until 1978. That's my point. Do you see this point yet? Ringo Starr was playing in pro bands in 1957 and was world famous in 1962. Where was our good old friend Andy Summers in 1957, doing the milk round? Andy Summers didn't even own a guitar until Ringo had reached the point when he'd thrown five guitars in the bin and he's not a guitar player he's a drummer!

• Like 1

I'll say it again, Charlie Watts was playing drums in pro bands in 1959 and was world famous in 1964. Where was Andy Summers in 1959? Doing a paper round? Summers wasn't known outside his immediate family until 1978. That's my point. Do you see this point yet? Ringo Starr was playing in pro bands in 1957 and was world famous in 1962. Where was our good old friend Andy Summers in 1957, doing the milk round? Andy Summers didn't even own a guitar until Ringo had reached the point when he'd thrown five guitars in the bin and he's not a guitar player he's a drummer!

Andy was a well-respected pro player in the late 60s. He did a stint with the Animals.
  • Like 1

Andy was a well-respected pro player in the late 60s. He did a stint with the Animals.

What about 1959 and 1957, which are the years I mentioned?? Answer me that, but you haven't got nothing have you? Go and find out now or disappear back to where you came from!

• Like 1

Ducky, I do not understand what you're getting at. You keep saying that Andy Summers is older than just about anyone else on the music scene. Charlie Watts is older than Andy Summers, and Charlie Watts is on the music scene. So I'm not sure where there's a "but" to attach to that, it's a fact! It's okay though. This isn't the first time I have failed to understand the twists and turns and subtleties of the mind of the arboreal waterfowl. But I understand the important parts! :LOL:

Incidentally, Grace Slick is older than all of them, but she's retired and thinks elderly rock musicians are ridiculous, so I don't think she counts as "on the music scene".

• Like 1

Ducky, I do not understand what you're getting at. You keep saying that Andy Summers is older than just about anyone else on the music scene. Charlie Watts is older than Andy Summers, and Charlie Watts is on the music scene. So I'm not sure where there's a "but" to attach to that, it's a fact! It's okay though. This isn't the first time I have failed to understand the twists and turns and subtleties of the mind of the arboreal waterfowl. But I understand the important parts! :LOL:

Incidentally, Grace Slick is older than all of them, but she's retired and thinks elderly rock musicians are ridiculous, so I don't think she counts as "on the music scene".

He's older than GOD! And you and me (added together then minus 15) and are older than Sting!

Now let me see .... Def Leppard .... decent hard rock band, some great albums, guitarist from good old N. Ireland v The Police .... a pop band with a few decent pop songs and a complete w*nker as a lead vocalist ....... hmmmmmm ..... tricky one this!
  • Like 2

Police by a mile. Much better music to my taste, inventive and catchy. Copeland's drumming was amazing, Sting playing bass and singing melody, always wondered how he does that (Geddy even more) Summers chiming sound added to the mix well.

Def Leppard was generic rock and I agree that Pour some sugar on Me was cringeworthy :scared:.

• Like 2

If I had to choose between the two bands, and groups of "the Police", and "Def Leppard", I haven't been able to because I've liked both equally. For a three piece band, and group, I would've maybe, put "the Police", and "Triumph" in one poll, and a British band, and group, "Def Leppard", "Iron Maiden", and "Judas Priest" in the other poll. Edited by Derek19

Bollox!!!!! I just realised i had accidentally voted Police as the better band!

After a sound thrashing with a wet lettuce leaf, I have duly amended my vote and the world is indeed a better place again.

I just started a binge of the Cops' albums. And, predictably, now I'd vote for them.

There's way more going on in their music. Edited by goose