1975 - THE YEAR © ℗®™ Part 21 - Which album from this list of 1975 releases do you consider to be the best?

treeduck

1975 THE YEAR © ℗®™ Part 21  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which 1975 release impresses you most from this array of albums from that year?

• Queen - A Night at the Opera
    • Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
    • Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    • Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare
    • Black Sabbath - Sabotage
    • Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
    • Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery
    • Kansas - Masque
    • Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
    • Budgie - Bandolier
    • ZZ Top - Fandango!
    • KISS - Dressed to Kill
    • Gentle Giant - Free Hand
    • Deep Purple - Come Taste the Band
    • Van der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
    • Kansas - Song For America
    • Nazareth - Hair of the Dog
    • Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
    • UFO - Force It
    • The New Tony Williams Lifetime - Believe It
    • Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
    • Thin Lizzy - Fighting
    • Ted Nugent - Ted Nugent
    • Robin Trower - For Earth Below
    • Uriah Heep - Return to Fantasy
    • Wings - Venus and Mars
    • Styx - Equinox
    • Tommy Bolin - Teaser
    • Journey - Journey
    • Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond
    • AC/DC - T.N.T.
    • Jefferson Starship - Red Octopus
    • Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
    • Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte
    • Status Quo - On the Level
    • Camel - The Snow Goose
    • Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention - One Size Fits All
    • Bad Company - Straight Shooter
    • Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
    • Angel - Angel

Susan Jacks - Dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0-o5KaWsPg

Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFksnIy2aO4

Ian Thomas - Delights. This is the album cover that got Hugh Syme the job of collaborating with RUSH according to here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic6klzs3_s0

Neil Young - Tonight's The Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTGjVvQPVWg

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Yikes...I have a five way tie right now!

Might not be able up narrow it down.

What are the five? Let me guess...

Alice Cooper

Aerosmith

Queen

Kiss

Black Sabbath

Queen

Aerosmith

Wings

Pink Floyd

Bruce

What no Alice?? :o

• Like 1

Sure there are other incredible albums from 75. But none of them offer half of what A Night At The Opera has on display, and few of them do anything much better than A Night At The Opera does it. You want hardcore prog? You could go for Minstrel In The Gallery or Wish You Were Here, but The Prophet's Song is better than at least half the material on either of them and sounds like nothing else. You want theatrical rock? Alice Cooper and Elton John could do it for you, but Death On Two Legs, Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, and Seaside Rendezvous have him matched. You like it heavy? Sabbath and Zeppelin have monster releases this year, but I'm In Love With My Car and Sweet Lady and parts of The Prophets Song and Bohemian Rhapsody (not to mention the aforementioned Death On Two Legs) have guitars as killer as you could ask for. You like pop? Fleetwood Mac and Jefferson Starship had a great year, but You're My Best Friend is also one of the greatest pop songs ever. You want country? The Eagles released a great record in 75, but '39 has anything they'd done yet matched. Ballads? You could get them anywhere in 75, but why waste much time searching for a better one than Love Of My Life? You want to know what a guitar virtuoso can do in 75? Jeff Beck and Steve Hackett have you covered, but so does Brian May on Good Company and God Save The Queen (and the rest of the album). Something for everyone and no one gets short changed, not to mention it all flows together immaculately and comes in that truly iconic sleeve.

This is all subjective of course and you're entitled to disagree with everything I say here except this: A Night At The Opera is and always will be my favorite album of all time, by my favorite band of all time, featuring my favorite singer and favorite guitarist of all time, and featuring my favorite song of all time.

• Like 2

Sure there are other incredible albums from 75. But none of them offer half of what A Night At The Opera has on display, and few of them do anything much better than A Night At The Opera does it. You want hardcore prog? You could go for Minstrel In The Gallery or Wish You Were Here, but The Prophet's Song is better than at least half the material on either of them and sounds like nothing else. You want theatrical rock? Alice Cooper and Elton John could do it for you, but Death On Two Legs, Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, and Seaside Rendezvous have him matched. You like it heavy? Sabbath and Zeppelin have monster releases this year, but I'm In Love With My Car and Sweet Lady and parts of The Prophets Song and Bohemian Rhapsody (not to mention the aforementioned Death On Two Legs) have guitars as killer as you could ask for. You like pop? Fleetwood Mac and Jefferson Starship had a great year, but You're My Best Friend is also one of the greatest pop songs ever. You want country? The Eagles released a great record in 75, but '39 has anything they'd done yet matched. Ballads? You could get them anywhere in 75, but why waste much time searching for a better one than Love Of My Life? You want to know what a guitar virtuoso can do in 75? Jeff Beck and Steve Hackett have you covered, but so does Brian May on Good Company and God Save The Queen (and the rest of the album). Something for everyone and no one gets short changed, not to mention it all flows together immaculately and comes in that truly iconic sleeve.

This is all subjective of course and you're entitled to disagree with everything I say here except this: A Night At The Opera is and always will be my favorite album of all time, by my favorite band of all time, featuring my favorite singer and favorite guitarist of all time, and featuring my favorite song of all time.

I guess there is one thing you won't find on A Night At The Opera: synthesizers. I suppose that probably turns a lot of prog snobs off, not me though.

• Like 1

Poor old UFO keep getting squeezed out. Some formative stuff here for the young Tony; Equinox, Graffiti, Rainbow’s debut, Queen’s world domination album, the Floyd, Steve Hackett and Camel FFS.

But, I’ve got to go with the music so it’s Ted Nugent for me. He may be a t**t but that’s a great album.

Do these keep getting harder or something?

Jethro Tull

Thin Lizzy

Pink Floyd -- (WYWH is so very, very great!)

But, but! In the face of all that awesomeness, there is the double-album majesty of peak bombast Led Zeppelin: Kashmir, In My Time of Dying, Ten Years Gone, Trampled Underfoot, In the Light, The Wanton Song . . .

Physical Graffiti

another ridiculously tough 70's choice....

For me, it came down between Floyd, Queen, Zeppelin, Frank Zappa and Jeff Beck - all masterpieces.

I also really dig the first Journey album (Aynsley Dunbar kicking ass!), both Kansas, Gentle Giant, and Tull are great; Aerosmith at it's pinnacle IMO, However....

Wish You Were Here is a crowning achievement of human kind.

Led Zeppelin Physical Grafitti

Saw LZ at MSG Feb 1975. My buddy had front row seats ( see pics ) and I was up in the nosebleeds

Jethro Tull - Minstrel in second place

49802290783_c434eaff69_z.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 4