Bands you've moved on from?

Nova Carmina

So everybody has relationships that are great for a little while, really rewarding, new depths discovered all the time, new angles to love, and then, well, the spark is gone and everybody goes their separate ways.

Do you have a band/artist you used to really be into, and now you haven't listened in years or listening is actively unpleasant?

Sometimes I hear a song I haven't heard for a long time and it brings a smile to my face as I remember the era, etc., but I'm asking about something you hear now and think, "Huh. I was into that for a while."

For me, it's probably The Pixies. I went through a real phase there, and now most of their music just sort of bores me.

• Like 3

Coheed and Cambria. A friend loaned me Good Apollo 1, which I eventually bought, along with Silent Earth. Played both for a while, then just stopped. Probably because I was picking up more older music of bands I liked, including Rush, that I didn't buy when it was released.

almost everyone except for rush, steely dan and ozric tentacles

i am a fickle SOB

band last good record

red hot chili peppers bssm

u2 achtung baby

sting nothing like the sun

dream theater bcsl

megadeth youthanasia

spocks beard snow

mastodon crack the sky

public enemy fear of a black planet

steel pulse earth crisis

van halen 1984

d'oh! i missed the no longer listen to or find unpleasant part. whoops

i listed bands i was huge fan of and or fanboi and just dont like their newer stuff. still like them though

now that i think of it, i saw all of the bands listed on that tour except for spocks beard which did not tour that record. and van halen. never saw van halen and its one of my bigger musical regrets. and sting. i caught the dream of the blue turtles tour which was awesome

Edited by tangy
  • Like 2

I find that any feeling like that you describe is always temporary. I'll go away from a band for years, but always seem to enjoy the return.

Bands like that include YES, Jimmy Buffet, Pink Floyd, the Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Queen...

Queen is one I really don't enjoy much anymore, outside of Live Killers and News of the World.

• Like 1

Dream Theater. I was a big fan when the debut came out. They changed the singer but Images was still a good record, so I went to see them live a few times in 1992/93. Great performances. I slowly lost interest with their following releases but still was going to their shows when they came by. I saw them live several times up to the year 1999 and than I decided to move on. Nowadays I listen to them once or twice a year and there is still nothing that grabs me anymore. Cannot stand LaBrie's voice any longer and the playing of Petrucci is way too technical for me. The whole band sounds just clinical and the lack of feeling is omnipresent. Just my opinion!
  • Like 1

Muse. I used to be obsessed with them in the mid to late 2000's, but can't stand what they've become and can't listen to their older stuff anymore.

i HAVE to say Muse as well.

the first 4 are great. than with the Resistane they became Diet Queen. NOW it's Dubstep. and it's just embarrasing IMO.

Mick

• Like 3

Muse. I used to be obsessed with them in the mid to late 2000's, but can't stand what they've become and can't listen to their older stuff anymore.

the first 4 are great. than with the Resistane they became Diet Queen. NOW it's Dubstep. and it's just embarrasing IMO.

Mick

Actually that “dubstep” phase was really only a couple songs back in 2012. They’re on an 80s kick at the moment.

Coldplay - Mylo to the present is pop sellout crap and they did a song with Rihanna. No thanks.

Live - The Distance To Here

Everclear - Songs From An American Movie vol 2

Dave Matthews Band - Busted Stuff

Coldplay has always been pop, but their latest album is a lot less of that super radio friendly stuff from MX and AHFOD and a more interesting attempt at some other styles kinda like Viva La Vida.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

I struggle to think of much music I really used to like that I really don’t anymore. A couple songs from The Fray maybe? I used to dig their moodier, more depression centric Coldplay vibe, but then they just got really overplayed for me and started bringing up unpleasant memories. I never really listened to them actively in the first place though, they were just a group I appreciated on the radio or in the background. Truth be told, if I go back to my favorite music from when I was a little kid, I still really enjoy it! I loved James Taylor, “Soak Up The Sun” by Sheryl Crow, Chicago’s Greatest Hits, and my CD soundtrack to a Hot Wheels movie as a kid. The only music there that I run the risk of not enjoying is that CD soundtrack, but the last song on it was by Eve 6, who are possibly my favorite pop-punk band some days, so I’ll always thank it for introducing me to them. But yeah, on a whole it’s always more and more music in my life, and I’ve never really gotten to the point of wanting to part ways with any of it.

Mick

Feel the same way. i still listen to the old stuff but not the new stuff
  • Like 2

Dream Theater. I was a big fan when the debut came out. They changed the singer but Images was still a good record, so I went to see them live a few times in 1992/93. Great performances. I slowly lost interest with their following releases but still was going to their shows when they came by. I saw them live several times up to the year 1999 and than I decided to move on. Nowadays I listen to them once or twice a year and there is still nothing that grabs me anymore. Cannot stand LaBrie's voice any longer and the playing of Petrucci is way too technical for me. The whole band sounds just clinical and the lack of feeling is omnipresent. Just my opinion!

Portnoy bought you! What did he offer you?? :o

Mick

Yet another band with that Imagine Dragons sell out virus.

Speaking of which, I have to mention The Killers since I found out they’re releasing a new album in May. Stopped after Battle Born. Streamed their last one a a couple of times but that’s it.

I used to really love Airborne Toxic Event but stopped after their third one. I will NEVER tire of Sometime Around Midnight.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

Mick

Speaking of which, I have to mention The Killers since I found out they’re releasing a new album in May. Stopped after Battle Born. Streamed their last one a a couple of times but that’s it.

I used to really love Airborne Toxic Event but stopped after their third one. I will NEVER tire of Sometime Around Midnight.

yea With muse i always say how can the elavator drop lower. i sample new ones out of morbid curiosity and i'm like, "yup they've manged it"

lol

Mick

• Like 1

I can honestly say I never moved on from a band, I just haven't listened to them in a long time. U2, for instance, I don't like the post-Achtung Baby era at all. But, from time to time, I listen to the first five albums and enjoy them. And, at one point, I didn't listen to Rush for about 15 years.
  • Like 3

I loved these bands, in a way I guess I still do, but their latest music just doesn't excite me, and hasn't for a long time:

Opeth (Watershed was the last album I loved in 2008)

Mastodon (last album I loved was Blood Mountain in 2006)

The Gathering (last album I loved was Home, I think that was 2006)

All That Remains (last album I loved was The Fall Of Ideals, 2006. They died hard with their following album and they've never been good since)

Third Eye Blind (I love their first two albums, but after that...eek...)

Otherwise, I've loved a lot of bands/artists but haven't played them in a while. These bands stand out as bands that are still going, but who have lost my interest after a certain release.

Edited by Segue Myles

Oh gosh, same. Once their newest releases disappointed me, a weird thing happened where even their older albums felt far less impressive than I recalled. I can't quite understand what made me for a long time so obsessed with them.

• Like 3

Mick

Weirdly, I am obsessed still with Battle Born, but can skip the rest.

Oh gosh, same. Once their newest releases disappointed me, a weird thing happened where even their older albums felt far less impressive than I recalled. I can't quite understand what made me for a long time so obsessed with them.

It’s really interesting to see such similar experiences shared by many. I wonder if one day you will find in them again what you used to love, even just revisiting their earlier material.

I can honestly say I never moved on from a band, I just haven't listened to them in a long time. U2, for instance, I don't like the post-Achtung Baby era at all. But, from time to time, I listen to the first five albums and enjoy them. And, at one point, I didn't listen to Rush for about 15 years.

And that's cool, too! I didn't mean to suggest that as we "mature" we out grow some juvenile stuff; I just know that tastes change, I was thinking about why I skip The Pixies tracks that pop up on random play, and I wondered if others have felt the same way.

What I think is interesting about my musical tastes (as somebody mentioned in the "which was first" thread) is that I still like nearly all the stuff I started with: Rush, Kiss, Triumph, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd -- I came to all of these bands in that 12-21 range. Other bands have come (and gone) but my first loves remain (and, fwiw, my favorites, even of those bands, are the stuff they did or had already done by the time I was 18). I honestly can't think of any bands I learned to love after 25 that I would place in my personal pantheon. Oops, okay: The Drive-by Truckers, but that's likely it. Maybe I need to broaden my horizons!

Edited by Nova Carmina

Stones

Floyd

just about anything from the 60s, 70s, 80s. Heard it too many times and I find that more recent music is better. Has more soul. Bob Segar and his old time rock and roll make me want to head straight for the door.

• Like 1

It’s really interesting to see such similar experiences shared by many. I wonder if one day you will find in them again what you used to love, even just revisiting their earlier material.

i still love their old stuff. like most groups the first few are their best though. i liked a few tunes on drones.

i dont think we own the 80's vibe one though. they are the best power trio going imo.

• Like 1

i still love their old stuff. like most groups the first few are their best though. i liked a few tunes on drones.

i dont think we own the 80's vibe one though. they are the best power trio going imo.

Practically the only true power trio still going, or at least the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Course anymore Matt likes to walk around in a flashy vest with light up sunglasses and croon while Morgan plays his guitar or key parts in the background. But hey, I don't begrudge decisions made for the sake of showmanship.

The 80s one is very corny, all in on the pop songs and retro synths, but there's still a wide variety of interpretations of that, a few of which have a distinctly Musey edge to them. Break It To Me and The Dark Side come to mind. I'll never get tired of them seeing as I first got into them with the poppier stuff on The Resistance and The 2nd Law. It's all classic to my ears, lol.