Bands you've moved on from?

Nova Carmina

Opeth, Mastodon, Muse, for starters.

Same, for all

I've definitely scaled back the Beatles songs I'll listen to.

I actually enjoy the Love mashups more than most of the originals these days.

Took me a while to think of a band I’ve moved on from but I’ve definitely found one - Depeche Mode. I sold the one album of theirs I had well over two decades ago and haven’t listened to them since. They got stale and boring pretty fast.

I still enjoy Personal Jesus...all twenty or whatever versions
  • Like 1

Smashing pumpkins. just don't care anymore.

Mick

Yeah man - Zeitgeist was a dud, and no real improvement from that point. Latest record isn’t bad - but I listened to it once and forgot about it.

Zeitgeist would be good were it not for the bad mixing. Nice return to their Sabbath sounding songs. Without Jimmy on drums...

tenor.gif

Several bands I was into in the '80s: U2, REM, Bauhaus, The Cure, The Smiths... No ill feelings at all just very rarely find myself going to that well. It's not just an era thing; I still listen to early New Order, Wire, Swell Maps,The Clash, Big Country, P-Furs (first album mainly), Tones on Tail, etc. Not counting out any of those bands; after GUP I didn't listen to Rush for literally over twenty years, not even the classic stuff which was my very favorite as a kid. Then for some reason I started to get back into them around Snakes and Arrows. Re-bought their early albums (I had given them away in the late '90s to a friend) and started exploring their post-GUP stuff, resulting in a Rush phase that lasted several years, so maybe that happens with those other bands, to a lesser extent.

I'm currently in about the seventh year (they keep releasing great stuff) of a very heavy Wire phase though I had really not listened to them much at all in the '90s, despite them and The Beatles having been my two favorite bands since the mid-'80s, whether I am listening to them or not (got back into listening to Wire in the early '00s). Currently re-obsessed with the Read & Burn 01 and 02 and Send material (all from the same recording sessions, all together on the two-disc Send Ultimate CDs). There's nothing quite like it. Back to the '90s; because I was ignoring them I missed this '97 release, which I completely love (Wir is Wire without their drummer Robert Grey; they released an LP and an EP under that name).

http://youtu.be/kKShtsH6fRo

Edited by Rutlefan

Took me a while to think of a band I’ve moved on from but I’ve definitely found one - Depeche Mode. I sold the one album of theirs I had well over two decades ago and haven’t listened to them since. They got stale and boring pretty fast.

I still enjoy Personal Jesus...all twenty or whatever versions

I was shuffling through YouTube videos the other day, came across that one, played it for about 30 seconds, got bored, then moved on :LOL:

U2

Dated a music industry employee who was ALL ABOUT them, even though he said the Edge was not that great of a guy. Guy kind of inadvertently ruined their music for me. I know Bono has good intentions.

I stopped after NLOTH. First half is good but 2nd half is awful and boring. They sound like Maroon 5 now.

And screw Boner ( “Uh he heh.” ) for being a shill for Monsanto.

Led Zeppelin

I was really into them between ages 12 and 15 or so but then just kind of lost interest gradually after having all their albums. I think over exposure from the radio didn't help either. I still like them but not as much as when I was younger. I don't really like Yes as much either or really any band as much as when I was younger but LZ in particular I just got burned out on.

U2 have some great songs and Bono has/had an exceptional sense of melody and songwriting (through at least Zooropa, at which time I got off the bus). I don't listen to them much, Joshua Tree every now and then. But Achtung Baby and War were heavy staples of my musical diet in my later teen years. There is/was worse music to listen to back then, and many artists of similar ilk since that I never connected with (Death Cab For Cutie being my surrogate U2-esque guilty pleasure artist of late).

The more I listen to the Doors today the more I feel I've missed that boat. There's some depth and variety in their catalog, even from song to song on any given album. Jim Morrison, IMO, ruined the experience of listening to the Doors for the music. And now as an adult, with developed ears and musical sensibilities, I can hear the jazz and heavy blues influences in the musicianship. What an exceptional band, even if I could do without about half of their material. I respect bands that take chances, even if it doesn't work for me. Objectively I can't think of too many bands that can successfully swing from powerhouse songs like Break on Through to quirky weirdo rock like Alabama Song on the same side of an album.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1