Brian May or Eddie Van Halen?

Texas King

Brian May or Eddie Van Halen?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Brian May or Eddie Van Halen?

Between these two guitarists, who will get your vote of preference here?

I like both of them a lot, but I prefer Brian's playing and I find it to be more creative.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2013/10/Brian-May-Eddie-Van-Halen-Giuseppe-Cacace-Kevin-Winter.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

I think Brian would have been greater than Eddie if Brian had cared enough to do so, but Brian had other interests outside of his guitar. The man has a doctorate in Astrophysics. All Eddie had was his guitar. Just my opinion. Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Brian all day every day. The only other guitarist who makes me feel as much is Alex. I mean, lemme put it this way, the one part of Bohemian Rhapsody that Freddie didn't write was the guitar solo. That was Brian's idea. It just so happens to be one of the best parts of the song and one of the greatest guitar solos of all time. That's Brian in a nutshell.
  • Like 2

Eddie.

Never been a Queen fan and have never heard what was the big deal with Brian May's playing.

Try "Good Company."

If you don't hear a guitar in that song, know that you actually didn't hear any horns or synthesizers in that song.

• Like 2

Eddie.

Never been a Queen fan and have never heard what was the big deal with Brian May's playing.

Try "Good Company."

If you don't hear a guitar in that song, know that you actually didn't hear any horns or synthesizers in that song.

man you beat me to the same answer, lol

i likewise have never been enamored with Eddie's playing.

i love how the brain works whenn it comes to music.

Mick

• Like 1

Eddie.

Try "Good Company."

man you beat me to the same answer, lol

i likewise have never been enamored with Eddie's playing.

i love how the brain works whenn it comes to music.

Mick

Lol, the thing is Good Company isn't even one of my favorite Queen songs, as awesome as it is. But it is something like the best proof in their discography of Brian's guitar mastery.

"Brighton Rock" is excellent at that as well of course.

• Like 2

With respect I just don't see anything worthy of comparison here, they're poles apart, music isn't a competition, both are great but in vastly different ways! Obviously if you said EVH or Guthrie Govan then it's different and GG blows him away in every aspect, or almost anyone else really! Edited by New Digital Man
  • Like 1

Eddie.

Try "Good Company."

Gave it a listen and just like everything else i've heard from Queen I am extremely underwhelmed. They're just one of those bands i'm never gonna click with.

• Like 1

Eddie.

Try "Good Company."

Gave it a listen and just like everything else i've heard from Queen I am extremely underwhelmed. They're just one of those bands i'm never gonna click with.

Well, as long as you got that the jazz band you were hearing was actually all Brian's meticulously recorded guitar over dubs (often one note at a time), then I guess you're right, you're never going to click with Queen.

On a purely 'logical' level - EVH.

Phenomenal technique (lead & rhythm).

And an influence on electric guitar that non-guitarists probably under estimate.

Good call on Eddie's rhythm playing, which doesn't get much attention. I think May is more diverse in his playing (which is likely by virtue of Queen being a much more diverse band), and just as recognizable as Eddie. This is a tough call.
  • Like 3

For the record. I think EVH is one of the greatest ever to pick up a guitar.

But Brian is the greatest imo, so no contest for me.

• Like 1