Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson May Form "LeeLifeson" Group

Jag2112

I'm a bit dissapointed to say the least. I really honestly thought that Geddy and Alex were going to break away from Neil and do something on their own. But I guess they're just gonna let him bring the entire Rush train to a screeching halt. I honestly hope they reconsider.

They're equally responsible for bringing the Rush train to a halt. If anything, they're 2/3 responsible. There is nothing stopping either or both from going out on their own so don't pin all the blame on Neil.

• Like 4

I'm a bit dissapointed to say the least. I really honestly thought that Geddy and Alex were going to break away from Neil and do something on their own. But I guess they're just gonna let him bring the entire Rush train to a screeching halt. I honestly hope they reconsider.

They're equally responsible for bringing the Rush train to a halt. If anything, they're 2/3 responsible. There is nothing stopping either or both from going out on their own so don't pin all the blame on Neil.

They're responsible for bringing the Alex and Geddy trains to halts. I don't think Alex and Geddy would say "no thanks" if Neil said he was ready to tour or record again. Rush's inactivity is more than 1/3 due to Mr. California

I'm hoping one of them starts up a touring or recording side project, or both collaborate.

• Like 2

I'd be interested in a genuine autobiography, like Motley Crue's The Dirt . Not that I expect stories like cum-squirting girls, or sticking their dicks in egg burritos to cover the smell of pussy from the girls they were screwing, but I'd be interested to know if Geddy and Alex ever genuinely liked Neil, or just tolerated him.

I'd be interested in a genuine autobiography, like Motley Crue's The Dirt . Not that I expect stories like cum-squirting girls, or sticking their dicks in egg burritos to cover the smell of pussy from the girls they were screwing, but I'd be interested to know if Geddy and Alex ever genuinely liked Neil, or just tolerated him.

RAW!

...but I'd be interested to know if Geddy and Alex ever genuinely liked Neil, or just tolerated him.

It'd be damned hard to tolerate someone you didn't like for 40 years...but I bet it's a bit of both. Nothing to base that on of course other than observing them.

I'd say probably this. Would have been in the "genuinely like" camp until reading Neil's last book. The way Neil speaks about Ged and Al just didn't strike me as the way you deal with people you consider sincere friends. And that's different from the impression I got from "Ghost Rider", where Neil explicitly says that they are better friends to him than he was to them. But at least then you got the impression that he appreciated them for it. None of that comes through in "Far and Away."

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing differing ideas with respect to the business model over the last decade or so might have put a strain on the relationship. I do think that Neil's story about signing on to the R40 tour because of Al's arthritis was a load of BS, or at best, partly true. I'm sure there was a contractual obligation to Live Nation that also need fulfilling, and in the long run, it was easiest to get it out of the way in 2015, rather than have it hanging over their collective heads.

Edited by Ron2112
  • Like 1

Maybe, despite all your projection, they were about as willing to call it quits as Neil was. Perhaps Neil did them a huge favor.

• Like 2

...but I'd be interested to know if Geddy and Alex ever genuinely liked Neil, or just tolerated him.

It'd be damned hard to tolerate someone you didn't like for 40 years

Bullshit. My parents were married for 43 years.

Not true, but what a great line!

• Like 1

Heyoooooo!

• Like 1

I hope you reconsider blaming Neil for every choice Geddy & Alex make.

• Like 1

If you can read this your nose is on your monitor.
  • Like 2

I hope you reconsider blaming Neil for every choice Geddy & Alex make.

Some people just aren't happy with 40 years worth of music. How sad.

• Like 2

Sounds like Alex is enjoying semi-retirement almost as much as Neil. If Ged wants to tour again, he's gonna have to do it on his own.

From what I understand, they're BOTH enjoying retirement. Actually, Neil is too, but, well... Neil is a dick. :D

I'd really love to hear some of the insider stories that prompt this declaration. Not doubting it or anything. In fact, it's easy to believe that there's something substantial behind this, after reading the detestable "Middle Eight" section of Neil's last book. Would just love to be a fly on the wall for any discussions between Ged, Al, and Neil these days......

You mean other than that just Neil wanted to retire?

As much I would love anything new from Alex,Ged and Neil(and I am not holding my breath) I have never been keen on side projects,collaborations,outside/studio musicians or solo albums although I did like Victor ,Headache and I could appreciate the Buddy Rich stuff.I remember reading the fine print on HYF ,additional keyboards by Andy Richards,and the band considering adding a fourth member but thankfully they were "saved by technology".However I have a feeling Alex is being tight lipped about all this but at the same time being truthful that he and Ged are in contact,after all they are lifelong friends. I would love to see another solo album from both of them.I know Victor doesn't have much love here but I love most of it. You might catch Neil filling in at a seedy late night jazz club,maybe.

As I've said before, Alex should just put a camera on his front porch, charge admission and we could just hear him noodle with either his acoustic, electric or both. I'm sure he does this anyway. It would be like found money for him (Not that he needs it.)

Or he can put a camera on his easel and we can watch him draw comics. I'm pretty easy that way. Even once in a while. He can make the time he films it an event.

It'd be damned hard to tolerate someone you didn't like for 40 years...but I bet it's a bit of both. Nothing to base that on of course other than observing them.

I'd say probably this. Would have been in the "genuinely like" camp until reading Neil's last book. The way Neil speaks about Ged and Al just didn't strike me as the way you deal with people you consider sincere friends. And that's different from the impression I got from "Ghost Rider", where Neil explicitly says that they are better friends to him than he was to them. But at least then you got the impression that he appreciated them for it. None of that comes through in "Far and Away."

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing differing ideas with respect to the business model over the last decade or so might have put a strain on the relationship. I do think that Neil's story about signing on to the R40 tour because of Al's arthritis was a load of BS, or at best, partly true. I'm sure there was a contractual obligation to Live Nation that also need fulfilling, and in the long run, it was easiest to get it out of the way in 2015, rather than have it hanging over their collective heads.

Not sure if I completely agree with that last paragraph but it's certainly plausible. There may have been outside pressure this time that set the wheel in motion so to speak.

Not sure if I completely agree with that last paragraph but it's certainly plausible. There may have been outside pressure this time that set the wheel in motion so to speak.

The reality is that we know based on interviews that Geddy and Alex have had little to no contact with Neil since that last show in Los Angeles. We also know that Geddy was caught off guard in an interview when he was asked about Neil calling himself a "retired drummer" on his blog. We know there was little to no communication from Neil to them about the finality of the last tour as nothing about that was discussed. Geddy said if that was the last tour, he would have liked to have done it differently. Lastly, Neil has still not officially told them he's done, at least based on some of the recent interviews.

A few years ago, I would have definitely said there was a sincere friendship between all 3 of them, but the way everything has played out the last couple years makes me think that Neil is not that guy. Maybe something changed, maybe he never was, or maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine a true lifelong friend of 40 years doing that to those 2....

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone
  • Like 2

I understand your point but I see it a bit differently. Suggesting that a life long friend wouldn't do that also suggests that neither Ged nor Al would do anything of the sort to Neil. My take on it is that Neil was often put in a position of being pressured (indirectly or directly?) into touring when he really preferred not to...especially on R40. And I think he did so over and over over again. I don't doubt the sincerity of the friendship and the genuine affection between all 3 of them. I just think that the easy thing to do is blame Neil. When I try to think of the situation from each band members perspective, I see a bigger picture. I can see how Neil might feel like he's tired of giving into what Ged and Al have wanted to do. Just my opinion.
  • Like 1

I understand your point but I see it a bit differently. Suggesting that a life long friend wouldn't do that also suggests that neither Ged nor Al would do anything of the sort to Neil. My take on it is that Neil was often put in a position of being pressured (indirectly or directly?) into touring when he really preferred not to...especially on R40. And I think he did so over and over over again. I don't doubt the sincerity of the friendship and the genuine affection between all 3 of them. I just think that the easy thing to do is blame Neil. When I try to think of the situation from each band members perspective, I see a bigger picture. I can see how Neil might feel like he's tired of giving into what Ged and Al have wanted to do. Just my opinion.

I agree with you. If you were to read my post again, you'd see that nowhere did I blame Neil or anyone. I wasn't trying to determine whose fault all this is. Someone just asked about the sincerity of a friendship between the 3 of them and I just stated the facts as we know them, and those facts would lead me to believe the bond between Neil and the 2 of them just isn't what I thought it was, and I have no clue why. Again, maybe Neil has always communicated like that with them, but it would be hard to believe. Outside of that, I am not privy to the internal relationships between the 3 of them and I am in no position to blame Neil. None of us are really. There are always 2 sides to every story.

• Like 2

Totally agree..there's always two sides to every story.

I love that Ged mentions in Time Stand Still, that regardless of how he feels about things, their collective agreement is such that if the 3 of them don't agree on something, they don't do it. That makes them the consummate band IMO.

In Chapter 10 of Neils book Ghost Rider he says that Liam contacted him after having a meeting with Geddy and Alex regarding cutting their expenses as they had no income coming in and what to do with a Warehouse full of band equipment? Surely that same issue is relevant this time and the same question would have to be asked, the answer from Neil would surely wrap things up?

I think that during R40 it became clear that the end was near. Liam said as much on Time Stand Still. During Neil's hiatus, the band was in the middle of it's life span so I can see why they'd have been in a holding pattern back then. Given that R40 was understood to be their twilight, I believe they had/have a contingency in place with regard to their equipment.