From the Vaults

grasbo

Apologies if this topic has been already raised.Since we won't be hearing anything new soon(or ever) i wonder what the chances are of a From the Vaults series of past concerts like The Dead,Stones,etc would see the light of day? Springsteen has just announced 25 concerts to be released.Does anyone know if the band has squirrelled away heaps of soundboard recordings and what are the chances of them releasing less than perfect performances.I think it wouldn't do them any harm since like Deadheads Rush fans will buy anything new.

As far as I've ever heard, Rush have no vaults. There are certainly no unreleased songs or anything like that, so the only things "in the vaults" would likely be forgotten or sub-standard live recordings, maybe an early studio take or two...maybe.

But Neil has said in the past the vaults are empty.

• Like 1

Good idea if they do have old live recordings sitting around. But they're one of those bands with a fan base that is pretty big into the bootlegs. So, I'm thinking most of the quality live shows are already out there.

It would be nice to have some official releases though.

Yes i know there is no studio stuff(apparently).What i meant was past concert recordings from their own vaults.

Nothing in "the vaults" ??

bullshit

Permanent Waves:

"The Spirit Of Radio", "Freewill", "Uncle Tounouse" (Unreleased), and "Sir Gawain And The Green Knight" (Unreleased) were finished during July 1979, and demos were made of those songs, as well as unfinished versions of "Jacob's Ladder", and "Entre Nous". "Jacob's Ladder" and "Entre Nous" were finished during soundchecks in August 1979, while "Natural Science", and "Different Strings" were written in September 1979. The album was recorded from October-November 1979

Sir Gawain was recorded and finished by July 1979

It exists somewhere

Check Eel Yddeg's writing and recording thread

Bands just don't go into the studio without endless demoing and fleshing out of ideas

For whatever reason they might be denying it, but I guarantee there is plenty of music there .. Maybe it is a copyright issue between band members - it wouldn't surprise me if Neil balked at releasing anything he doesn't feel is perfect

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/102886-rush-writingrecording-sessions-guide/

Edited by Lucas

bullshit

Permanent Waves:

"The Spirit Of Radio", "Freewill", "Uncle Tounouse" (Unreleased), and "Sir Gawain And The Green Knight" (Unreleased) were finished during July 1979, and demos were made of those songs, as well as unfinished versions of "Jacob's Ladder", and "Entre Nous". "Jacob's Ladder" and "Entre Nous" were finished during soundchecks in August 1979, while "Natural Science", and "Different Strings" were written in September 1979. The album was recorded from October-November 1979

It exists somewhere

Yeah, I don't see why some stuff wouldn't exist.

I don't care about bootlegs (anymore anyway) but even I have something. It's a cd which has several demo versions of 7 songs off Counterparts, half a dozen interviews following that album's release, and a poet reading by Pye Dubois of his original version of Between Sun and Moon. The demos differ slightly from the official release but they're easily noticeable differences. The final versions are certainly better though.

I bought this from a small, locally owned cd shop about 15 years ago.

If something like this exists then, more than likely, other meatier stuff is probably out there too.

• Like 1

bullshit

Permanent Waves:

It exists somewhere

Yeah, I don't see why some stuff wouldn't exist.

I don't care about bootlegs (anymore anyway) but even I have something. It's a cd which has several demo versions of 7 songs off Counterparts, half a dozen interviews following that album's release, and a poet reading by Pye Dubois of his original version of Between Sun and Moon. The demos differ slightly from the official release but they're easily noticeable differences. The final versions are certainly better though.

I bought this from a small, locally owned cd shop about 15 years ago.

If something like this exists then, more than likely, other meatier stuff is probably out there too.

I have that Counterparts piece, also- as well as a disc of Power Windows demos (which mostly sound pretty complete, but they are definitely different studio versions of all of the official version of those eight songs).

On the subject of live stuff in the vaults- yes, there is quite a bit. I think they've been very, very careful over the years about keeping those recordings from getting into the wrong hands...but I believe I've read that Geddy said they have numerous soundboard recordings of every tour going back at least to Hemispheres.

I think it would be fantastic to see them release some of those things, if they want to.

• Like 3

Per articles I read, Sir Gawain was developed into or used in part of Natural Science. I'm thinking the section from 5:10 to about 7:20 sort of fits a proggy song about a 14th century english poem. It's the lighter, nerdier part of NS where the rest of NS is pretty dark and heavy. That section literally sounds like a different song. Another thing to consider is PW is only 35:35 which is pretty short for an album. So they could have added that patch to add a couple minutes to the album.

Fun to speculate exactly what parts of NS were frankensteined from Sir Gawain.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

Yes Blue J that's what I was talking about,live soundboard recordings from the vaults.Their live albums are cherry picked from various dates.What I was wondering was would the band ever consider releasing an ongoing series of live concert CDs from their archives.These would be warts and all meaning minimal studio tweaki

ng and sold at a cheaper price.They don't have to go all stupid and do a Pearl Jam but release one now and then like the Stones and the Dead.I can see that the band would worry about releasing inferior product but hey the Rio CD sound was lousy but I listen to it as a glorified bootleg and enjoy it. Us Rush fans can be a fanatical lot and having an official bootleg series to compare and nitpick would be great.Also Hugh Syme could be greatly employed to design dozens of plain brown covers with a rubber stamp for the date of the gig.

• Like 2

We don't need to guess about whether they have live audio recordings since we know they do, the odds of there being much remaining live video are low, and the odds of there being any release-quality studio demos or unreleased songs is remote at best. As was said, even specific ones we know about like Gawain were often cannibalized into other songs. About the best we could hope for is something like slightly different versions of existing songs like the vault version of Working Man they released years ago with the alternate solo or maybe something like Mission with the orchestration. And I think any potential video in the future would be limited to the remaining halves of the 1990 Auburn Hills show and the 1997 Toronto show, or possibly even a master release of the 1994 Auburn Hills show. That's about it. I think ever even getting the remaining footage of the 3 80s video concerts is pretty unlikely. But live audio? That would be fairly easy if they choose to do so. In addition to anything we don't know about we know they recorded a ton of shows at least on the Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Counterparts, and Test For Echo tours for the 3 compilation live albums. But I was actually disappointed in how little fans seemed to care about the bonus live tracks from 1980 and 1981 on the 2012 deluxe edition of 2112. The sound quality (to me) is much clearer and better than Exit Stage Left and unfortunately I almost never hear anyone even mention them. And why the hell is my return key not working? I can't make paragraphs! :(
  • Like 1

But I was actually disappointed in how little fans seemed to care about the bonus live tracks from 1980 and 1981 on the 2012 deluxe edition of 2112. The sound quality (to me) is much clearer and better than Exit Stage Left and unfortunately I almost never hear anyone even mention them.

snowdog, I completely agree in regards to the live versions of A Passage To Bangkok, Overture and Temples .. That version of A Passage from the Manchester Apollo is perfection ..

And I think it is safe to say that those were not the only songs recorded at those shows ( Manchester or at the Northland Coliseum in Edmonton ) ... Why would they go to all the trouble of bringing in recording gear to only record one song ?? ... The entire shows have got to be there ..

• Like 1

I made a thread about this a while back. I personally believe that if Rush has a vault, it's probably 100% unreleased concert videos and audio tapes of shows. There are probably no unreleased Rush songs out there.

In one respect, I really do hope there is a vault, because that's probably where the cut Grace Under Pressure Live footage is and videos of all the times they played in the Capital Centre in Largo.

Edited by fraroc

I made a thread about this a while back. I personally believe that if Rush has a vault, it's probably 100% unreleased concert videos and audio tapes of shows. There are probably no unreleased Rush songs out there.

In one respect, I really do hope there is a vault, because that's probably where the cut Grace Under Pressure Live footage is and videos of all the times they played in the Capital Centre in Largo.

OK......once again: the Capital Centre video feed which has produced video bootlegs of other bands (Kiss, Van Halen), was only use ONCE for Rush. And that was on the Power Windows tour. And those shots were exclusively closeups to augment what everyone could see going on on-stage. Whether that feed was actually recorded is anyone's guess.

The Capital Center was NOT like the Capitol Theater in Passaic, who recorded EVERYBODY.

• Like 2

Ron, I bet that Capital Center talk gets old.

It does.....I mean, given the quality of the vids that HAVE emerged, I can understand the hope. But unless you lived here, it's probably hard to imagine exactly how many bands came through the place in a given week. And the Skybox -- where the video feed was sent -- was only open for a handful of those.

• Like 1

bullshit

Permanent Waves:

It exists somewhere

If it was recorded from a soundcheck which was typical it's doubtful it would be in any condition to release.even if they still had it.

Even if it's stuff that everyone already has as bootlegs, IMO Anthem should release them anyway.. so they get a cut.

Yes good quality bootlegs,either soundwise or dynamite performances,should be released.Bootlegs are bit hard to find around here.Plus there would be some sort of quality control(hopefully) if it was overseen by the band and label.Form an alternative label like the did with Hendrix official boots(Dagger).Again I would say it would be a longshot because I don't think the band would be into releasing inferior material.This would just be for just concert recordings not unreleased or different studio takes.That should be for something like a extra disc with the album connected to the unreleased stuff like the Zeppelin deluxe albums although they were no great shakes.

Even if it's stuff that everyone already has as bootlegs, IMO Anthem should release them anyway.. so they get a cut.

Yes good quality bootlegs,either soundwise or dynamite performances,should be released.Bootlegs are bit hard to find around here.Plus there would be some sort of quality control(hopefully) if it was overseen by the band and label.Form an alternative label like the did with Hendrix official boots(Dagger).Again I would say it would be a longshot because I don't think the band would be into releasing inferior material.This would just be for just concert recordings not unreleased or different studio takes.That should be for something like a extra disc with the album connected to the unreleased stuff like the Zeppelin deluxe albums although they were no great shakes.

You didn't hear the extras on the 2112 40th anniversary disc, then.....?

This was a great example of how NOT to do an archival release -- good idea giving us "outtakes" from ATWAS, but poorly implemented in the mixing and mastering. And they found the worst possible live version of "The Twilight Zone" to use.

With the album arc that most consider Rush's best work (AFTK - Signals) all hitting 40 over the next five years, it's a great chance for Ole to put together some nice box sets with demos and live shows included. And yes, Rush has all this stuff.

• Like 1

Wasn't Twilight Zone only ever played twice? That's probably the only recording there is, period. I don't mind having it there as a novelty. And yeah, Alex already said there will be a AFTK package this year similar to the 2112 one from last year. I'm really hoping they continue to do this for at least that classic stretch of albums. Among other things they could potentially include would be the remaining songs cut from Different Stages disc 3.

Wasn't Twilight Zone only ever played twice? That's probably the only recording there is, period. I don't mind having it there as a novelty.

There's a low-quality audience recording that been out there for many years. Not the greatest, but at least the tape isn't sped up like the 40th anniversary version.