Is a song "Stairway to Heaven" overrated?

Texas King

Is a song "Stairway to Heaven" overrated?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is a song "Stairway to Heaven" overrated?

Hell freaking no.

I think Stairway to Heaven's popularity is mainly a "right place, right time" thing.

Well, sure. Like I think I already said - you almost had to be there when it came out. Same way you had to be there when The Doors first showed up. Or Cream.

What did we have as a point of reference? It was all new back then. Today you can look back on decades of music to see how a band measure up today. But back then, we didn't have that.

Same with Stairway. It made quite the impact.

Does "right place, right time" imply luck? I know luck is part of success, but whenever I see the term "right place, right time" I get the impression it's suggested the success or reputation isn't entirely deserved.

I just think that every great song has a window of opportunity, so to speak, to become timeless and Stairway nailed it. The whole acoustic/electric thing, the mysticism in the lyrics, the 70's all played together perfectly. It's not even their best song and none of the others reached this high. There was certainly some luck (or divine intervention) involved.

It most certainly is their best song.
  • Like 1

Studio version: overrated

Live version on "The Song Remains the Same": Definitely not.

Does "anybody remember laughter"? Robert Plant's plaintive hopefulness about whether he has time to change the road he's on? How could THAT be overrated?

It may not even be in their top 10 for me...some of that it is because it has been overplayed to death and I've been sick of it since around 1985. Prior to that, it may have been close to the top.

So it's not their best song for YOU. But it is their best song. You're confusing favorite with best. Edited by Mithrandir

It may not even be in their top 10 for me...some of that it is because it has been overplayed to death and I've been sick of it since around 1985. Prior to that, it may have been close to the top.

So it's not their best song for YOU. But it is their best song. You're confusing favorite with best.

Correct...it's my opinion. I think just about everything on Houses of the Holy is more interesting musically than Stairway. That's why I, personally, feel that Stairway is overrated.

I find that most things that are highly rated are over rated.

No doubt a great song, but I don't even think it's top 3 for Zeppelin.

• Like 1

Yes. Led Zepplin sucks.

Sorrynotsorry

(don't hurt me)

I respect and value your opinion. You can have the worst music taste in the world, just do it somewhere that is far away from me! :P

I don't tire of it compared to Black Dog. Overplay on radio ruins that song for me.

That's why I despise radio.

That's the reason for radio though. Most people aren't looking for deep cuts or underplayed songs. Majority of listeners want songs they know from front to back. Shameful, yes, but that's life!

I will say, though, that Led Zeppelin around here isn't really played all too often, but there's a good rotation of songs instead of the same old Whole Lotta Love, Stairway and Black Dog. I've heard Hey Hey What Can I Do, That's The Way, and Tangerine more often than I heard the most played Zeppelin radio songs!

Weird song for a last dance. Nice and slow then the solo and Plant freakout after the solo. What the hell were you supposed to do with your dance partner at that point? Most people just continued to slow dance . . .
  • Like 1

The guitar solo isn't over-rated but the song may be