Chris Cornell has died aged 52

Like I said before....this appears to be a repeat of what happened to Robin Williams :(

Stop comparing suicides. No one values your genius theories. We are grieving the loss of a major talent just last night, we don't need to start analysing and comparing to other tragedies.

How dare you f***ing insinuate that I'm trying to downplay Chris' death.

I was simply pointing out the similarities in both cases.

Do you really think of me that little that you'd think I'd not feel any sort of grief towards someone ending their own life? That's low.

Piss off.

Why don't you take your own advice?

If you don't want to talk to me, then don't.

Edited by fraroc

RIP Chris

I was not a fan of the music, but as a fan of music, he inspired a lot of people and was a giant in the music world ... And probably even a bigger part of his family's life, which makes this tragedy even sadder

When I saw the thread title, I thought that must have been some other person with his name that I wasn't familiar with -- totally shocking ... RIP

I thought the news was fake and was devestated to find out it is true.

• Like 1

I wasn't a fan of this band but 52 is way too young to die.

RIP

Which band? Soundgarden? He fronted 3!
  • Like 1

RIP

I would imagine if he isn't a fan he's 've referring to the most well known!! Haha

But yeah, he fronted three GREAT bands. And his solo career was stunning.

• Like 1

RIP

I would imagine if he isn't a fan he's 've referring to the most well known!! Haha

But yeah, he fronted three GREAT bands. And his solo career was stunning.

Well bands then.

https://www.nytimes....oundgarden.html

"found with band around neck"

mother f***ing suicide.

I truely can't identify with mental illness or depression that causes one to snap like this. Especially when you have so much in your life like a wife and kids. If he didn't want to continue to perform, or felt he wasn't up to standard, then f**k that and just do something else

There is a possibility that it was the same thing that killed Michael Hutchence, auto-erotic asphyxiation. Normally I'd say hopefully not, but at this point it doesn't really matter. He's dead, apparently by his own actions. So sad.

Really shocked and sad about this. Huge part of my twenties. Soundgarden was a unique force among those early nineties bands.

I'll be playing Soundgarden all day. Damn

I've been listening to Cornell for the last week, coincidentally. I had actually been looking to see if he was coming close to Boston with any of his bands, or solo, in the last few days. When I woke up this morning and heard this news I was stunned.

I'm listening to Audioslave's debut album right now. Such a great range. With Myles Kennedy and Andrew Stockdale, he was one of the best singers working right now, IMO.

I need to catchup on Wolfmother. Haven't listened to anything aside from the debut.

All their albums are good. As is Stockdale's solo album (Wolfmother is arguably a Stockdale vehicle anyways). If you like the debut you'll like all of it. He also did a song on Slash's first solo album that is excellent.

• Like 2

mother f***ing suicide.

I truely can't identify with mental illness or depression that causes one to snap like this. Especially when you have so much in your life like a wife and kids. If he didn't want to continue to perform, or felt he wasn't up to standard, then f**k that and just do something else

There is a possibility that it was the same thing that killed Michael Hutchence, auto-erotic asphyxiation. Normally I'd say hopefully not, but at this point it doesn't really matter. He's dead, apparently by his own actions. So sad.

Although this thread is for Chris Cornell, I will just take one post to say that Michael Hutchence did not die by auto-erotic asphyxiation ..

RIP Hutch, RIP Chirs

https://www.apnews.com/cfeaa8f9dc8048108e4b450c4b6b89f5?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

News sources are beginning to report that it was a suicide....

This whole situation is just awful....the fact that those closest to him said that they didn't think he was suicidal or depressed, just makes me believe that he was really good at hiding his inner pain from other people :(

• Like 3

mother f***ing suicide.

Although this thread is for Chris Cornell, I will just take one post to say that Michael Hutchence did not die by auto-erotic asphyxiation ..

RIP Hutch, RIP Chirs

Hutch was found sitting naked on the bathroom floor with a belt around his neck, looped around the doorknob. He was undoubtedly into kinky stuff. His band, biography and closest friends stated this. He was depressed about what was going on with Yates and Geldof but EVERYONE around him said he would NEVER in a million years kill himself. Aussies are too happy.

• Like 1

mother f***ing suicide.

RIP Hutch, RIP Chirs

Hutch was found sitting naked on the bathroom floor with a belt around his neck, looped around the doorknob. He was undoubtedly into kinky stuff. His band, biography and closest friends stated this. He was depressed about what was going on with Yates and Geldof but EVERYONE around him said he would NEVER in a million years kill himself. Aussies are too happy.

It's totally ignorant for ANYONE to say that someone else would 'NEVER in a million years kill himself." Many people in that kind of pain hide it. And many many people have committed suicide even though "EVERYONE" said "oh, they would never do that!"

Also: "Aussies are too happy"? WTF. Way to generalise, and to trivialise. Whether Michael Hutchence intended to die or not, that is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard in a discussion about mental health. And I have heard many.

• Like 1

mother f***ing suicide.

RIP Hutch, RIP Chirs

It's totally ignorant for ANYONE to say that someone else would 'NEVER in a million years kill himself." Many people in that kind of pain hide it. And many many people have committed suicide even though "EVERYONE" said "oh, they would never do that!"

Also: "Aussies are too happy"? WTF. Way to generalise, and to trivialise. Whether Michael Hutchence intended to die or not, that is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard in a discussion about mental health. And I have heard many.

The "Aussies are too happy" quote comes directly from his band mate Kirk Pengilly. Try reading up on Hutchs life. I wasn't talking about all mental health victims. I was specifically talking about Hutch and plenty of people have unintentionally committed suicide, as does the evidence suggest about hutch. Pipe down and have a beer.

Edited by sonoflife

A medical examiner has confirmed that Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell committed suicide by hanging last night after a show in Detroit, according to the Associated Press.

The singer was found dead in his hotel room late Wednesday, reportedly with something around his neck. TMZ has unearthed video of Cornell jokingly looking ahead to the band’s next show with the crowd before playing “Rusty Cage” as the first song of the group’s encore.

“You guys f—ing show up! Thank you,” he tells the audience. “I mean, I feel a little bit sorry for the next f—ing place we play. It’s okay, we’re not going to go in there with the same expectations anyway. We’re going to go in there [saying], ‘Hi guys, you should have been at that Detroit show. Because that crowd is something.'” Earlier in the evening, Cornell had tweeted about being excited to play in “Rock City,” ending his message with the curious hashtag #nomorebulls—.

Soundgarden were scheduled to headline Rock on the Range in Columbus, Ohio, Friday night. The festival has promised to “celebrate and honor” Cornell all weekend long. “As we mourn Chris Cornell’s sudden passing, additional details surrounding Rock on the Range performances will be shared when they become available. We appreciate the patience and understanding of the music community during this difficult time and we will have more to share in the near future.”

Meanwhile, Pointfest, the St. Louis festival the band was scheduled to headline Saturday night, announced that “with deep regret, due to the sudden passing of Chris Cornell of Soundgarden overnight, Pointfest on Saturday is canceled. … We extend our deepest sympathies to the members of Soundgarden, their crew, management and the Cornell family.”

Read More: Chris Cornell's Cause of Death Confirmed as Suicide by Hanging | ultimateclassicrock.com/chris-cornell-suicide/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=newsletter_4572276&trackback=tsmclip

mother f***ing suicide.

RIP Hutch, RIP Chirs

The "Aussies are too happy" quote comes directly from his band mate Kirk Pengilly. Try reading up on Hutchs life. I wasn't talking about all mental health victims. I was specifically talking about Hutch and plenty of people have unintentionally committed suicide, as does the evidence suggest about hutch. Pipe down and have a beer.

The fact that someone who personally knew Michael Hutchence said "Aussies are too happy" to intentionally commit suicide does not make it any less ignorant or ridiculous a comment.

“You guys f—ing show up! Thank you,” he tells the audience. “I mean, I feel a little bit sorry for the next f—ing place we play. It’s okay, we’re not going to go in there with the same expectations anyway. We’re going to go in there [saying], ‘Hi guys, you should have been at that Detroit show. Because that crowd is something.'”

This quote in particular is making me kind of choked up :(

Edited by fraroc

Suicide.

Well, shit.

Got these lyrics of his going through my head ever since the talk of it being suicide broke:

Nothing seems to kill me no matter how hard I try

Nothing is closing my eyes

Nothing can beat me down for your pain or delight

And nothing seems to break me

No matter how hard I fall nothing can break me at all

Not one for giving up though not invincible I know

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

Oh my goodness...

I'm as shocked as I was about Prince and Bowie last year...maybe more. They were gonna make a new record too, I was excited for it...this is awful...

Rest in peace. :rose:

• Like 2

“You guys f—ing show up! Thank you,” he tells the audience. “I mean, I feel a little bit sorry for the next f—ing place we play. It’s okay, we’re not going to go in there with the same expectations anyway. We’re going to go in there [saying], ‘Hi guys, you should have been at that Detroit show. Because that crowd is something.'”

That's what makes this hard to understand for me. Because everything on the surface, his twitter page, the statement above, made everything look...fine. I'm sure every person that attended the show last night is in complete shock as well. It seems there may have been some type of trigger or deep, dark things happening under the surface. Perhaps there may be more information forthcoming that would shed more light on his mindset. Just speculation, but his wife tried calling him pretty soon after the show, so she may have felt she needed to keep tabs on him a bit.

It doesn't seem a Soundgarden 'band conflict' would have affected him like this, sense they broke up before and Chris is a solo artist as well. So he could easily say F the band, I'll do my own thing again.

I'm just speculating out loud trying to make sense of this. I think in a very logical 'cause and effect' fashion, so that very well may not apply to mental illness.

That's what makes this hard to understand for me. Because everything on the surface, his twitter page, the statement above, made everything look...fine. I'm sure every person that attended the show last night is in complete shock as well. It seems there may have been some type of trigger or deep, dark things happening under the surface. Perhaps there may be more information forthcoming that would shed more light on his mindset. Just speculation, but his wife tried calling him pretty soon after the show, so she may have felt she needed to keep tabs on him a bit.

It doesn't seem a Soundgarden 'band conflict' would have affected him like this, sense they broke up before and Chris is a solo artist as well. So he could easily say F the band, I'll do my own thing again.

I'm just speculating out loud trying to make sense of this. I think in a very logical 'cause and effect' fashion, so that very well may not apply to mental illness.

It makes no sense he would do this right after a show in the middle of a tour...involving his band and fans.

Why get the band back together after a nearly two year break? Why work on a new album if you don't have a will to live?

Even though I could get depressed, I have no idea what depression is.

It makes no sense he would do this right after a show in the middle of a tour...involving his band and fans.

Why get the band back together after a nearly two year break? Why work on a new album if you don't have a will to live?

Even though I could get depressed, I have no idea what depression is.

For your sake, I honestly hope you never do.

It's one of the most indescribably horrible things a human being can ever go through.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 3