Chris Cornell has died aged 52

I'm listening to the soundtrack from Singles right now, for the first time since the 1990s...I always liked it.

Chris's song, Seasons...I'd forgotten how much I like that one.

I want to get the soundtrack and also the movie

Great soundtrack all around...and the movie is fun. (I haven't seen it in even longer, though).

Cameron Crowe has directed two of my favourite movies (Vanilla Sky and Jerry Maguire), so it surprises me I have never heard of this one!

The soundtrack looks great. It leaves me feeling nostalgic, as I spent two years in my teens devoted to grunge (this was before Lacuna Coil and the metal bands I LOVE now), so...yeah! I've read of this soundtrack before but I always assumed it was a legendary compilation, not a movie related disc.

• Like 2

Big pharm can be a very, very dangerous thing in this country. Good god, the commercials alone. They spend more time on the side effects than the solution or relief. Sometimes the side effect is an exacerbation of the symptoms of why you're taking the drug to begin with..! WTF?!
  • Like 7

I'm listening to the soundtrack from Singles right now, for the first time since the 1990s...I always liked it.

I want to get the soundtrack and also the movie

Great soundtrack all around...and the movie is fun. (I haven't seen it in even longer, though).

Cameron Crowe has directed two of my favourite movies (Vanilla Sky and Jerry Maguire), so it surprises me I have never heard of this one!

The soundtrack looks great. It leaves me feeling nostalgic, as I spent two years in my teens devoted to grunge (this was before Lacuna Coil and the metal bands I LOVE now), so...yeah! I've read of this soundtrack before but I always assumed it was a legendary compilation, not a movie related disc.

Indeed...Singles is one of my two favorite Cameron Crowe films- Almost Famous is at the top.

• Like 3

Big pharm can be a very, very dangerous thing in this country. Good god, the commercials alone. They spend more time on the side effects than the solution or relief. Sometimes the side effect is an exacerbation of the symptoms of why you're taking the drug to begin with..! WTF?!

Yes...depending on the program you're watching there are multiple big pharma designer medication ads during every single break.

• Like 2

I seriously think that Ron Howard or Martin Scorsese should make a Chris Cornell biopic starring Ian Thornley from Big Wreck. Ian has often been called the Chris Cornell of Canada. He looks like Chris and their voices are very similar. There are always Soundgarden or Audioslave songs playing before Big Wreck shows. They toured with Motley Crue and Theory of a Deadman. Edited by Boots

Perhaps the greatest soundtrack of all time. Certainly my favorite.

• Like 1

I seriously think that Ron Howard or Martin Scorsese should make a Chris Cornell biopic starring Ian Thornley from Big Wreck. Ian has often been called the Chris Cornell of Canada. He look like Chris and their voices are very similar.

Canadians must hear things differently because I don't think there are many similarities at all with the two voices. Thornley has nowhere near the same vocal power and presence that Cornell did.

Watch the video and read all the comments under the clip. There are a lot of people who think Ian Thornley is even better than Chris. He studied at the Berklee College of Music in Boston. That's where me met his bandmates. He can play a double-necked guitar while singing lead vocals.

• Like 1

Watch the video and read all the comments under the clip. There are a lot of people who think Ian Thornley is even better than Chris. He studied at the Berklee College of Music in Boston. That's where me met his bandmates. He can play a double-necked guitar while singing lead vocals.

I don't think this is the time or the place to start talking about who is better than Chris, do you?

Well, based on all that he must be just as good or better than Chris. I mean youtube comments carry such weight lol.

As for the song I did hear some similarities that I never noticed before. Never would make the connection in a million years if you did mention it. Too bad Big Wreck write boring songs though. They are talented but boring.

I don't know if I'd say the greatest of all time, but it is excellent.

I don't know if I'd say the greatest of all time, but it is excellent.

My favorite is the Pump Up the Volume soundtrack. Which has Soundgarden's excellent Heretic on it.

BOOTS!

You are killing me! I LOVE WHITE LION!!! Vito Bratta RULES!

BOOTS!

You are killing me! I LOVE WHITE LION!!! Vito Bratta RULES!

Thanks Rushhead. If you watch any WL videos at Youtube about 75% of the comments are about Vito, not Mike. Vito stopped playing guitar because of his wrist injury and his father's illness. Mike was in another band called Freak of Nature after WL and he released something like 10 solo albums.

P.S. Pearl Jam posted a picture of Chris with his dog on their website and their FB page. There is also a 29-page CC thread at the PJ forum.

Edited by Boots

Andrew Wood very likely was the best if all the so called "grunge" vocalists. His passing was a great tragedy. I played Mother Love Bone on my way to work this morning! Breathtaking vocal work and an all round excellent album.

For all those who decry the so called "grunge" era as being really poor rock n roll, all the bands had great musicianship that to my ears took music back to the basics, and the vocalists had a raw power and energy that nothing in haor metal could ever match, bar maybe Guns N Roses in their prime.

Amazing era for rock and it's so sad to think we have lost the majority of the defining icons of that age.

I wouldn't ever say that hair metal was ever meant to be emotionally powerful music. Maybe with the exception of a few power ballads (good ones, like Love Bites and Still Loving You), it really wasn't meant to make you feel any sort of emotion other than "lets party and have a good time."

That's definitley one of the areas where grunge did excel at was bringing emotion into rock music, albiet there are a lot of modern metal bands who make better sounding music and bring a lot of emotion into it. An example being Lacuna Coil.

I know what you mean. But I would never want to listen to a Pearl Jam or Alice In Chains album with Lacuna Coil style clean production, but I would love to see a rawer, dare I say it "grunge" style Lacuna Coil.

I think that era had great sound that enhanced the music through and through. It all went wrong when bands like Creed took the grunge appeal and made it plastic.

Yeah, bands like Creed focused on early era but they didn't evolved like Pearl Jam did.

• Like 1

The 52 year-old Soundgarden frontman had a prescription for Ativan, the family said, and may have taken a higher dosage. Attorney Kirk Pasich noted that Ativan can cause paranoid or suicidal thoughts, slurred speech and impaired judgement.

Ativan is a tranquilizer and anti-anxiety medication that is sometimes used as a sleeping aid.

"When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different,” his wife added. “When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him.”

The Cornell family and the press had better dig into this. It could help get such nasty drugs off the market.

All the more reason people need to get that reefer madness bs out of their agenda. Screw big pharm.

• Like 2

I know how much they are loathed on this board, but U2 dedicated Running to Stand Still to Chris & his family last night at their show at the Rose Bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwL0i9BECb0

And Black Hole Sun was the last song that was played on the P.A. before they came out on stage.

The board doesn't loathe U2

• Like 1

I know how much they are loathed on this board, but U2 dedicated Running to Stand Still to Chris & his family last night at their show at the Rose Bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwL0i9BECb0

And Black Hole Sun was the last song that was played on the P.A. before they came out on stage.

The board doesn't loathe U2

I personally love a lot of U2.

dave mustaine giving tribute to chris in his own special way.

this is one of the few times i approve of him calling out disrespecful assholes in the audience.

• Like 4

. Cornell singing BHS with acoustic guitar. Rest In Peace, Chris. :rose: Edited by librarian
  • Like 2

This is crazy. I am actually having good trouble with this death. The song Sunshower, to me, was as always about letting things workout, just handle the hard times. No idea why, but I feel, let down. Depression sucks.
  • Like 1

Megadeth's tribute was a lot better than the crappy bass solo from Metallica. Mustaine got 1.2M views in only 4 days. I also watched the U2 tribute Running to Stand Still. Then I realized how sick and tired I am of Bono. If U2 broke up tomorrow, then I probably wouldn't care and I used to be U2's biggest fan. I really liked the Pretty Reckless version of Like a Stone. I saw Taylor's band a few years ago at our campus bar before they started touring with Evanescence and GnR. Pretty Reckless was opening for Soundgarden on their 2017 tour. Taylor really doesn't get the credit she deserves. Her band first covered this song 6 years ago:

Edited by Boots
  • Like 2