Chris Cornell has died aged 52

I had a dream last night. I was in a car with Chris Cornell, but it's like we knew each other. It was nighttime and we drove by this restaurant with some outdoor seating, and the other members of Soundgrden were sitting at one table. We stopped and rolled down the window and said a few words with Kim Thayil, then we started driving off. Chris didn't speak to him, and I started to try to explain to him who that was, except I accidentally called him Soundgarden instead of Chris and couldn't remember his name for a minute. I wanted to say "Chris, don't you know who that is? It's the lead guitarist of Soundgarden, Kim Thayil!" It was like no one could remember how they were connected...then I woke up.

So strange, so sad.

I had a dream last night. I was in a car with Chris Cornell, but it's like we knew each other. It was nighttime and we drove by this restaurant with some outdoor seating, and the other members of Soundgrden were sitting at one table. We stopped and rolled down the window and said a few words with Kim Thayil, then we started driving off. Chris didn't speak to him, and I started to try to explain to him who that was, except I accidentally called him Soundgarden instead of Chris and couldn't remember his name for a minute. I wanted to say "Chris, don't you know who that is? It's the lead guitarist of Soundgarden, Kim Thayil!" It was like no one could remember how they were connected...then I woke up.

So strange, so sad.

Your mind is weird lol.

• Like 1

Andrew Wood very likely was the best if all the so called "grunge" vocalists. His passing was a great tragedy. I played Mother Love Bone on my way to work this morning! Breathtaking vocal work and an all round excellent album.

For all those who decry the so called "grunge" era as being really poor rock n roll, all the bands had great musicianship that to my ears took music back to the basics, and the vocalists had a raw power and energy that nothing in haor metal could ever match, bar maybe Guns N Roses in their prime.

Amazing era for rock and it's so sad to think we have lost the majority of the defining icons of that age.

I wouldn't ever say that hair metal was ever meant to be emotionally powerful music. Maybe with the exception of a few power ballads (good ones, like Love Bites and Still Loving You), it really wasn't meant to make you feel any sort of emotion other than "lets party and have a good time."

That's definitley one of the areas where grunge did excel at was bringing emotion into rock music, albiet there are a lot of modern metal bands who make better sounding music and bring a lot of emotion into it. An example being Lacuna Coil.

I know what you mean. But I would never want to listen to a Pearl Jam or Alice In Chains album with Lacuna Coil style clean production, but I would love to see a rawer, dare I say it "grunge" style Lacuna Coil.

I think that era had great sound that enhanced the music through and through. It all went wrong when bands like Creed took the grunge appeal and made it plastic.

Both Creed and Third Day are total shit bands that almost sound like a parody of Grunge.

Perhaps this whole time, I've been too hard on grunge as a genre....I've sorta used grunge as a scapegoat for bands like Creed and Third Day, which put rock and metal in such a hole in the mid 2000s...

The 52 year-old Soundgarden frontman had a prescription for Ativan, the family said, and may have taken a higher dosage. Attorney Kirk Pasich noted that Ativan can cause paranoid or suicidal thoughts, slurred speech and impaired judgement.

Ativan is a tranquilizer and anti-anxiety medication that is sometimes used as a sleeping aid.

"When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different,” his wife added. “When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him.”

The Cornell family and the press had better dig into this. It could help get such nasty drugs off the market.

I'm with you 100%.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

The 52 year-old Soundgarden frontman had a prescription for Ativan, the family said, and may have taken a higher dosage. Attorney Kirk Pasich noted that Ativan can cause paranoid or suicidal thoughts, slurred speech and impaired judgement.

Ativan is a tranquilizer and anti-anxiety medication that is sometimes used as a sleeping aid.

"When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different,” his wife added. “When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him.”

The Cornell family and the press had better dig into this. It could help get such nasty drugs off the market.

I'm with you 100%.

I see zero logic in prescribing such drugs for people. The whole point of health care and medicine is to help the person get BETTER. Prescribing drugs that can make someone feel self-destructive and/or suicidal is NOT helping the person get better.

• Like 6

I'm with you 100%.

I see zero logic in prescribing such drugs for people. The whole point of health care and medicine is to help the person get BETTER. Prescribing drugs that can make someone feel self-destructive and/or suicidal is NOT helping the person get better.

Hey doc, my knee itches, why don't you prescribe for me nuclear waste material which will make my itch better

Forget the side effects, that I get to listen to endlessly during football games, costing Americans five billion in wasted advertising dollars each year

Fvck the american healthcare system for killing Chris.

• Like 4

The more I read about what probably caused this, the more upset and sad I am about his death. Absolutely no reason why something this tragic should happen because of a doctor's prescription.

f**k the American health care system.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 6

Absolutely no reason why something this tragic should happen because of a doctor's prescription.

And WHY would any doctor give such dangerous medication to someone who has emotional problems and isn't thinking straight? He is the last person you would trust to take the meds responsibly. :no:

• Like 4

Absolutely no reason why something this tragic should happen because of a doctor's prescription.

And WHY would any doctor give such dangerous medication to someone who has emotional problems and isn't thinking straight? He is the last person you would trust to take the meds responsibly. :no:

It really makes my distrust of the health care system seem more validated when I read things like this. Yeah, some pills may relive some symptoms but at what cost when it comes to the side effects?

• Like 4

The fact that Chris Cornell went onstage during a period of his life when he was going through a difficult emotional setback is extremely courageous .. To go out and perform and try to go through the grind of a tour must not have been easy or simple ..

damn, this is really sad ... he didn't have to die

• Like 3

The fact that Chris Cornell went onstage during a period of his life when he was going through a difficult emotional setback is extremely courageous .. To go out and perform and try to go through the grind of a tour must not have been easy or simple ..

The fact that he didn't have to die is what makes this so hard to accept. I can't imagine what his family, band mates and close friends must be feeling.

Absolutely tragic.

• Like 4

The fact that he didn't have to die is what makes this so hard to accept. I can't imagine what his family, band mates and close friends must be feeling.

Absolutely tragic.

Per the police report, his bodyguard gave him the meds. So obviously, they were trusting the bodyguard to provide some distance between Chris and his meds. Bodyguards aren't the brightest crayons in the box, so Chris probably told him hey give me one or two more, so he didn't think twice. I don't want to dump all over the bodyguard, because he probably feels like shit right now.

Since Chris had dependency problems for most of his life, the Ativan was probably a 'maintenance' drug to keep his anxiety down and help prevent him from relapsing. From the police report and his wife's statements, he sounded like he was in a positive frame of mind up until he died. When Cobain and Staley died, they were trying to hide and disappear from the world before they ended it...so their behavior pre-death seemed to tie into their end. The fact that one or two many pills was the hair-trigger that made Chris end his life is the really tragic part when by all accounts he didn't seem depressed to anyone.

My son took some psych meds last year for about a week and it just f***ed him up and made him do things that were way out of the norm. He stopped that immediately and is fine now, so I'm very aware of how touchy these meds can be.

By all accounts Chris was a sweet, giving man. Life truly isn't fair when someone like him dies and so many assholes still roam the earth.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

All of these bodyguards and assistants aren't really doing their jobs, are they? Makes me extremely angry...

Are doctors out there to help people or to push drugs on people. I don't know anymore.
  • Like 1

I'm with you 100%.

The doctors will tell you that the benefits of such destructive medicines outweigh the negative side effects.

Are doctors out there to help people or to push drugs on people. I don't know anymore.

i concluded they work for the pharm companies. Any and every drug they can prescribe, they do.

They prescribe one drug. Then they prescribe another to counter the bad effects of the one they just prescribed. And it just keeps going.

• Like 1

It really makes my distrust of the health care system seem more validated when I read things like this. Yeah, some pills may relive some symptoms but at what cost when it comes to the side effects?

You've got to watch them like a hawk. And find someone who will watch them for you when it is your turn to be their pharmaceutical guinea pig.

I'm listening to the soundtrack from Singles right now, for the first time since the 1990s...I always liked it.

Chris's song, Seasons...I'd forgotten how much I like that one.

• Like 3

Absolutely tragic.

Per the police report, his bodyguard gave him the meds. So obviously, they were trusting the bodyguard to provide some distance between Chris and his meds. Bodyguards aren't the brightest crayons in the box, so Chris probably told him hey give me one or two more, so he didn't think twice. I don't want to dump all over the bodyguard, because he probably feels like shit right now.

Since Chris had dependency problems for most of his life, the Ativan was probably a 'maintenance' drug to keep his anxiety down and help prevent him from relapsing. From the police report and his wife's statements, he sounded like he was in a positive frame of mind up until he died. When Cobain and Staley died, they were trying to hide and disappear from the world before they ended it...so their behavior pre-death seemed to tie into their end. The fact that one or two many pills was the hair-trigger that made Chris end his life is the really tragic part when by all accounts he didn't seem depressed to anyone.

My son took some psych meds last year for about a week and it just f***ed him up and made him do things that were way out of the norm. He stopped that immediately and is fine now, so I'm very aware of how touchy these meds can be.

By all accounts Chris was a sweet, giving man. Life truly isn't fair when someone like him dies and so many assholes still roam the earth.

I was on an anti-psychotic called Saphris for about a week and a half after I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. The strange part of it was that it helped me with my depression, but it made my anxiety ten times worse. I just shut down....I couldn't focus on anything, I couldn't sleep at all, I had convinced myself that I was dying of various diseases...It was just awful...and it took my body almost an entire month to get the effects of the Saphris out of my system....It took me a long time to get back to normal.

That experience is why I swore off ever going on medication to treat my problems ever again...

• Like 4

I'm listening to the soundtrack from Singles right now, for the first time since the 1990s...I always liked it.

I want to get the soundtrack and also the movie

• Like 1

I want to get the soundtrack and also the movie

Great soundtrack all around...and the movie is fun. (I haven't seen it in even longer, though).

• Like 1