Your first song by Rush?

Texas King

Cygnus X-1 as a 6 or 7 year old. One of my older bros used to play the intro voice to scare the crap out of me.

I got to like Rush when Moving Pictures was new...I was 9 and in 4th grade then.

That's awesome with Cygnus

:LOL:

• Like 1

Something off All the World's a Stage. I think it was Working Man and my friend Brian played it for me because I was a drummer. Yep, that was it. Fall of 1979.
  • Like 2

Must have been Closer to the Heart. We just moved to where we got MTV and I was blown away at how three guys could make so much music! Still am!

I'm a newbie here (but not to Rush) so apologies for not having a 3D sig

• Like 2

Must have been Closer to the Heart. We just moved to where we got MTV and I was blown away at how three guys could make so much music! Still am!

I'm a newbie here (but not to Rush) so apologies for not having a 3D sig

Welcome IwillchooseFreeWill!!!! Glad to have you with us!!! :D

My dad had recorded the first verse of CTTH off of the radio and set it as his new ringtone back when I was just getting into music. This was in sixth or seventh grade probably...maybe eighth actually. Anyway I heard it one day and asked who the girl was that was singing that....the rest is obviously my history. I'd probably heard one of the "hits" on the radio before that, but I have no recollection of that.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

I wasn't 13 but more like 30! My musical tastes were strongly influenced before that by the Beatles, Eric Clapton from Bluesbreakers onwards, Jethro Tull, Rolling Stones, The Who, etc. sorta the music that influenced our three lads in Canada. I can't remember when I started buying Rush albums but a lot of that stuff disappeared when I moved to Australia. Sometimes furniture takes precedence over your vinyl collection. Sigh.

Sigless Carol

• Like 1

Here's another question for all you nutty Rush fans: Is there a Rush song that you re-discovered many years later? Maybe you missed it the first time you listened to the album/tape/CD or perhaps you heard it and it didn't make an impression the first time. But years later you gave it another whirl and it knocked you out? That has happened twice to me:

The first CD I ever bought back in 1990 was 2112. And I didn't listen much to side two, I admit. In 2002 I was listening to side 2 and heard 'Something For Nothing' and it blew me away! Powerful little gem hidden and tucked away at the VERY end of the CD.

The other song for me is Countdown. I've heard it before but it didn't connect with me. I was recently on YouTube and played it and it was incredible. I can feel the suspense building, like in a movie, how it changes slightly at 1:16 (it gives me goosebumps), then it blows up (not the shuttle, but the energy level) and the bass knocks me out off my chair at 2:00. Very cool!

The guys from Big Bang Theory would love Rush. If they made references to rock bands, Rush and Countdown would be it!

• Like 3

Here's another question for all you nutty Rush fans: Is there a Rush song that you re-discovered many years later? Maybe you missed it the first time you listened to the album/tape/CD or perhaps you heard it and it didn't make an impression the first time. But years later you gave it another whirl and it knocked you out? That has happened twice to me:

The first CD I ever bought back in 1990 was 2112. And I didn't listen much to side two, I admit. In 2002 I was listening to side 2 and heard 'Something For Nothing' and it blew me away! Powerful little gem hidden and tucked away at the VERY end of the CD.

The other song for me is Countdown. I've heard it before but it didn't connect with me. I was recently on YouTube and played it and it was incredible. I can feel the suspense building, like in a movie, how it changes slightly at 1:16 (it gives me goosebumps), then it blows up (not the shuttle, but the energy level) and the bass knocks me out off my chair at 2:00. Very cool!

The guys from Big Bang Theory would love Rush. If they made references to rock bands, Rush and Countdown would be it!

There have been several, but the biggest ones for me were probably "Digital Man" and "Natural Science".

When I initially bought Signals on Cassette, I tended to play "Subdivisions", "Analog Kid", and "New World Man"..that was about it. Then, about 6-8 months later, I heard "Digital Man" on KLOS and just flipped out. How did I miss this song the first time around?

With "Natural Science", it was kind of similar. I'd bought Permanent Waves on LP to get "Spirit" and "Freewill" but the rest of the album didn't really grab my attention at first. Five years later, I got Waves on CD and fell for the whole album, but especially "NatSci". WOW.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

I listen to every track often when I first get a Rush album, so it isn't that I ignored the song.

However, that has still happened to me.

For whatever reason, Afterimage is the best example. Did nothing for me first many times. I don't know what was wrong with me, because I love that song now.

Fly By Night. My older cousins always talked about Rush, but being younger, I wasn't invited to their listening parties. One night I was listening to the radio when they announce "that was Fly By Night, from Rush." I asked for the album for Christmas and was hooked. Funny that I heard Fly By Night first because at that time, Permanent Waves had recently released.
  • Like 2

I can't remember the first song but I got hooked when I was about 10. My older brother's bedroom was in the basement and he used play at least one side of moving pictures before work... I'd be there at the kitchen table eating my cheerios taking it all in :)

Tom Sawyer and I love it as much to this day than the first time I heard it.

I have to just comment on everything you said right here!!! Countdown is such a great song, and when it comes to Leonard, Sheldon, Howard and Raj, I told my Dad (who is also a HUGE Rush fan) that they should do a "Wayne's World" homage of them in the car listening to Countdown!!!!