Re-order "Vapor Trails"

Justus_2112

So, Vapor Trails is a great album, however there is one thing that I am not very fond of on it. This is the order in which the songs are put. Do you have any ideas as to how it should be set up? Here's mine.

1. One Little Victory (Wanted to keep this one in the front, because of the "we're back" concept.)

2. Peaceable Kingdom

3. Vapor Trail

4. How It Is

5. Secret Touch

6. The Stars Look Down

7. Ghost Rider

8. Nocturne

9. Sweet Miracle

10. Freeze

11. Out Of The Cradle

12. Earthshine

13. Ceiling Unlimited

• Like 5

Interesting idea, Justus_2112.

I felt that the original release was too long, and would've benefitted from editing; leaving, say, 3 songs off of it.

Earthshine seemed to be a fitting closer, so I just thought of the rest of the tunes as "bonus tracks".

With the remix, I started liking the last few songs, and now only tend to skip 'Ghost Rider', 'Sweet Miracle', and sometimes 'Nocturne'.

VT is one of my favourites, and got me interested in Rush again, after a break of many years. Signals was the last one I bought, until VT, which was a hot sonic mess, but had more guts and passion in the performances than anything they'd released since the debut, or FBN, and that clicked with me.

Some great guitar work on here, and I like Neil when he ditches the cutesy percussion touches, and just goes for it, reminding me at times of Keith Moon. I know some people loathe this album, probably because of the sh!tty mastering, and lack of guitar solos, but it's a gem, at least to me. Some of NP's best lyrics too, imo.

• Like 2

Why the hell would i ever re-order "Vapor Trails?" I can't even listen to this album in it's entirety anymore. It's by far their worst album as a collective band.

Ironically I saw that tour four times. Met Neil backstage. Was not a happy camper.

I'm glad some of you love the record.

I'm old school and proud of it.

I say "Happy Trails" to "Vapor Trails!" One of the worst albums ever made on the planet!

It honestly doesn't matter how many times you change the song order. Shite is shite. Wipe..... then flush.

Signed,

VAN HALEN

• Like 2

I felt that the original release was too long, and would've benefitted from editing; leaving, say, 3 songs off of it.

Earthshine seemed to be a fitting closer, so I just thought of the rest of the tunes as "bonus tracks".

With the remix, I started liking the last few songs, and now only tend to skip 'Ghost Rider', 'Sweet Miracle', and sometimes 'Nocturne'.

VT is one of my favourites, and got me interested in Rush again, after a break of many years. Signals was the last one I bought, until VT, which was a hot sonic mess, but had more guts and passion in the performances than anything they'd released since the debut, or FBN, and that clicked with me.

Some great guitar work on here, and I like Neil when he ditches the cutesy percussion touches, and just goes for it, reminding me at times of Keith Moon. I know some people loathe this album, probably because of the sh!tty mastering, and lack of guitar solos, but it's a gem, at least to me. Some of NP's best lyrics too, imo.

Excellent post!
  • Like 1

Why the hell would i ever re-order "Vapor Trails?" I can't even listen to this album in it's entirety anymore. It's by far their worst album as a collective band.

Ironically I saw that tour four times. Met Neil backstage. Was not a happy camper.

I say "Happy Trails" to "Vapor Trails!" One of the worst albums ever made on the planet!

It honestly doesn't matter how many times you change the song order. Shite is shite. Wipe..... then flush.

Signed,

VAN HALEN

Glad you took time away from beating off to hair metal to once again share your thoughts on VT, Earl.

Stay classy!

:cheers:

• Like 4

So, Vapor Trails is a great album, however there is one thing that I am not very fond of on it. This is the order in which the songs are put. Do you have any ideas as to how it should be set up? Here's mine.

1. One Little Victory (Wanted to keep this one in the front, because of the "we're back" concept.)

2. Peaceable Kingdom

3. Vapor Trail

4. How It Is

5. Secret Touch

6. The Stars Look Down

7. Ghost Rider

8. Nocturne

9. Sweet Miracle

10. Freeze

11. Out Of The Cradle

12. Earthshine

13. Ceiling Unlimited

Yea I never liked the original running order either. Some songs are fine where they are, like OLV, but some of the others I would definitely move around. My running order would be:

One Little Victory

Ceiling Unlimited

Earthshine

The Stars Look Down

How It Is

Vapor Trail

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

Peaceable Kingdom

Freeze

Nocturne

Sweet Miracle

Out of the Cradle

Yea it was a little lengthy. I would cut "Peaceable Kingdom" and "Sweet Miracle" if I cut anything. "Peaceable Kingdom" is out of place on that album IMO.

Yea it was a little lengthy. I would cut "Peaceable Kingdom" and "Sweet Miracle" if I cut anything. "Peaceable Kingdom" is out of place on that album IMO.

Why is Peaceable Kingdom out of place?

• Like 1

Signed,

VAN HALEN

So you DID meet Neil! Have you shared your thoughts about it yet? I´d love to read about it Earl!

whatevs makes ya happy bud. my fav rush album just way it is though.

if i had to name one track that was my fav rush would be Earthshine

It's a great one!
  • Like 1

Why is Peaceable Kingdom out of place?

The lyrical theme doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of Neil's lyrics. I guess it could be said that it was one more issue happening in his life that he had to face, although it as an issue we all faced on 9/11. And I guess it does fit the theme of the album ... but it still seemed a step away from the rest of what he was writing about. I dunno ... just seems like a sidebar song. I feel that we are pulled into this world being created by the lyrics in the other songs, things we know are going to deal with Neil and his losses and trying to find himself again. And then we kind of get pulled out of that by this song.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

Earthshine, How It Is, Nocturne, and Victory are good tracks, but much of the album just isn't.

Especially Earthshine- that makes every best of list I have.

A lot of songs have nice moments, though. It's the singing style he uses around this time of the career. I don't know how to say it, but it's all the 'ohh, ohh, whoa, ohh' moments that bug me. My favorite songs either are phenomenal musically or he doesn't do that as much.

Yeah, I read the title and thought..."What? They did another remix to sell?" Order your copy now! Good topic though.

The track order seems fine to me for the most part. Although Earthshine feels like it should be in a more featured 3-5 spot. And Ceiling Unlimited is perfect in the 2 spot.

How about Sweet Miracle into Vapor Trail for the closer? But then you have that annoying Out of the Cradle to deal with.

Edited by A rocket that ignites itself
  • Like 2

I like it the way it is. And those that saying that its to long are morons.

There is no such thing as an album being "too long" in my opinion.

I agree. The longer, the better!

• Like 2

I like it the way it is. And those that saying that its to long are morons.

There is no such thing as an album being "too long" in my opinion.

I agree. The longer, the better!

23260590.jpg

• Like 8

The order of the songs is fine. I would just cut Stars Look Down and Out Of The Cradle. Always thought those were on the weaker end when it comes to Rush songs.

What is the meaning of this?!? :rage:
  • Like 1