Rush's Revealing New Tour Doc 'Time Stand Still': 10 Things We Learned

JARG

It's ok. They went out kicking major ass...and I was there!

God bless ya Neil. Oh wait a minute...

Where's that bratty bastard TRFer Bard to tell us "I told you guys they were done! I told you guys they were done! I told you guys they were done!" a million times over?

Probably huffing gas somewhere

I am waiting for the Yukon Blade Grinder's review of this film.

Their film critic Jimmy Lee Necromancer is one of the best in the business

I don't like the sound of that foot problem. I wonder if it's healed up now?

:LOL:

The silly twit probably kept riding on it.

I can imagine Pratt saying to himself during one of those rides:

"You really are workin' them angels overtime aren't you?" Then, he grins, inwardly pats himself on the shoulder, and convinces himself that he got through the day's ride through grit and determination...when in reality he was stubborn and a bit foolhardy and probably should've just flown with Dirk and Lerxst when it became grueling.

Yeah yeah yeah, we should do what makes us happy even though our bodies can be battered to shit by what we do...yes and no. But mostly no.

Nailed it!

"Just a matter of mind

There's stone to grind

Through the pain we persist

With the grit and the grist..."

Cont.

"We see the finish line

and all the cash we can hold

We'll return to normal lives

And spend it on dope

Some say it's a journey

I say it's a chore

Drumming for shouting idiots

Is something I abhor"

• Like 2

"You really are workin' them angels overtime aren't you?" Then, he grins, inwardly pats himself on the shoulder, and convinces himself that he got through the day's ride through grit and determination...when in reality he was stubborn and a bit foolhardy and probably should've just flown with Dirk and Lerxst when it became grueling.

Yeah yeah yeah, we should do what makes us happy even though our bodies can be battered to shit by what we do...yes and no. But mostly no.

Nailed it!

"Just a matter of mind

There's stone to grind

Cont.

"We see the finish line

And spend it on dope

Some say it's a journey

I say it's a chore

Is something I abhor"

From the soon to be released single "Limelight 2017"

• Like 1

Nailed it!

"Just a matter of mind

There's stone to grind

Cont.

"We see the finish line

And spend it on dope

Some say it's a journey

I say it's a chore

Is something I abhor"

Toss in some garbage like him soothing his "little baby soul" (or whatever he calls it) in the liner notes and it's all set. :LOL:

• Like 3

Nailed it!

"Just a matter of mind

There's stone to grind

Cont.

"We see the finish line

And spend it on dope

Some say it's a journey

I say it's a chore

Is something I abhor"

Toss in some garbage like him soothing his "little baby soul" (or whatever he calls it) in the liner notes and it's all set. :LOL:

:laughing guy:
  • Like 1

11. Alex and Geddy has been talking with Wolfgang Van Halen about touring after recording new material. Despite protests from Ray Daniels a smiling Geddy Lee insists they won't tour as Rush.

:eh:

Glad I caught R40 twice. I knew this was it. In my heart.....I knew it. I think 99% of us long time fans knew it.

They gave us everything they had. God bless them.

The music will live on forever. We have plenty of live shows and albums to adore and share with the next generation.

• Like 4

The idiots who can't accept that it is over will still not get it.

No more Rush.

There will always be Rush, all i have to do is walk down the stairs to my Rush cave. :rush:

My wife calls my office my "Rush apartment"

• Like 2

Nothing really new, except that Neil has feet problems, he should stop the motorcycle.

Maybe this a question for motorcycle people.

If you had a foot problem, would you continue to ride, knowing it could present a safety hazard?

I mean if you were about to retire and want to stay with your family in peace and quiet, why stay on the bike?

I ride for fun, not because I have to. There are plenty of days I want to ride, but if it's going to rain, I drive. It's a personal decision; maybe Neil felt he'd suffer more mentally by not riding than physically by stopping. It may not have been that painful to continue riding anyway- footpegs don't apply that much pressure. The condition was temporary, so no reason to quit riding permanently. If anything I'd expect Neil is riding more in retirement, not less. I would (will) someday - some long far away day...

Nothing really new, except that Neil has feet problems, he should stop the motorcycle.

If you had a foot problem, would you continue to ride, knowing it could present a safety hazard?

I mean if you were about to retire and want to stay with your family in peace and quiet, why stay on the bike?

When I had my motorcycle it was my primary mode of transport and I rode it rain or shine. However, my commute was just within the city so I never rode on the highway in the rain. There's a saying in the m/c world: "Every rider crashes, it's just a question of when." I was happy to stop riding (regularly) before I had an injury accident.

Safety was a priority with me, as it seems to be with Neil, according to his writing. But his actions say otherwise. If you are in pain (or sick and not able to react quickly, etc.) then you shouldn't be riding. Neil describes the foot issue in more detail in his latest book, and what he said was basically: this was going to be the last time he did a long m/c trip and he didn't want to miss any of it. Personally, I think that is being stubborn to the point of stupid. A few days off the bike probably would have done him a world of good and avoided a lot of pain.

• Like 3

When I had my motorcycle it was my primary mode of transport and I rode it rain or shine. However, my commute was just within the city so I never rode on the highway in the rain. There's a saying in the m/c world: "Every rider crashes, it's just a question of when." I was happy to stop riding (regularly) before I had an injury accident.

Safety was a priority with me, as it seems to be with Neil, according to his writing. But his actions say otherwise. If you are in pain (or sick and not able to react quickly, etc.) then you shouldn't be riding. Neil describes the foot issue in more detail in his latest book, and what he said was basically: this was going to be the last time he did a long m/c trip and he didn't want to miss any of it. Personally, I think that is being stubborn to the point of stupid. A few days off the bike probably would have done him a world of good and avoided a lot of pain.

"Every rider crashes, it's just a question of when."

I first heard that phrase from my friend's father (they both rode) when I was planning to get my license and first bike some 33/34 years ago. The only thing positive that I gleaned then and now from it is a hyperbolic reminder to not get complacent - ever. If I actually believed it I would not have started riding, nor would I continue. It's like saying when you flip a coin 5 times, inevitably at least one of those times it will come up heads. Except it's not the same - it's more accurate to say the statistical fact - that each time you flip the coin, there is an equal chance of it coming up heads OR tails. Except that's not even a fair comparison to long term riding and your chances of having an accident because the more you ride, the more experienced you get. Which brings us back to complacency - and things beyond your control. That is what causes accidents, not the fact that you are a rider. To your point, absolutely you are correct - know yourself, listen to the warning signs if you are not fit to ride, don't. It's a risk, no doubt, and the impacts (no pun intended) of an accident are more severe in a bike accident than in a car. The same can be put in the context of what car someone chooses to drive. If you get into an accident in a compact car, you probably are going to fare worse than if you are driving a 1/2 ton truck. But maybe you can accelerate or maneuver more adeptly to avoid an accident in the car, or maybe you can see better in the truck and avoid an accident because you are a bit higher above the road. Both of those advantages can be true for a motorcyclist. I can honestly state that even though I make every effort to not be complacent in my driving at all times, be it car, truck or my bike, I am much less complacent on two wheels. Knock the wood on my head, I have never had an accident in 35 years of driving any vehicle. I also don't buy lottery tickets.

• Like 1

and stay home for a few months w/o going on hiking or ski or mororcycle trips if he wants to spend time with his daughter and wife! haha he probably seen the whole country anyways!

So glad I went to see this in the theater, I had to sit close since I got there late but it was so cool. The guys were towering over me and it felt like I was there. Loved the little animated bit at first and I learned some Rush trivia too. It all went by so fast, I will be getting the DVD, especially so I can look for the TRFers in the LA crowd.....Lots of laughs and tears, well worth it.
  • Like 4

Lets make a poll to predict what Geddy's affliction will soon be.

TSMountain- please put us together a photo of Rush onstage, all wearing medical prostheses with stageside time-machine-icon-emblazed oxygen tanks and life alert stage passes around their necks. This is getting ridiculous.

Edited by GeminiRising79

One thing I've wondered for a long time, and I don't know if Geddy has ever been asked this- when he and Alex played their first paying gig as Rush, both of them were just barely 15 years old...and I've always wondered, at those embryonic Rush shows in 1969, '70, '71- was Geddy using his voice then in the same way that he definitely was by '73? And if not, then when did he (or they) first discover what he could do with it? The full height of his range, I mean.

If there were ever any recordings discovered of Rush back in those very, very early days in Toronto, I think that would be a holy grail-type of find, indeed.

• Like 3

One thing I've wondered for a long time, and I don't know if Geddy has ever been asked this- when he and Alex played their first paying gig as Rush, both of them were just barely 15 years old...and I've always wondered, at those embryonic Rush shows in 1969, '70, '71- was Geddy using his voice then in the same way that he definitely was by '73? And if not, then when did he (or they) first discover what he could do with it? The full height of his range, I mean.

If there were ever any recordings discovered of Rush back in those very, very early days in Toronto, I think that would be a holy grail-type of find, indeed.

I've always kind of wondered that too. My guess is that he's pretty much always sounded the same.

I have not seen this documentary. Nor have I read Neil's latest book. Both are on my to do list. Nor have I read Neil's blog. I have read the entries in this thread and other related threads here.

So I preface my following comments / questions with the above facts.

Neil mentions that in the lead up to the R40 tour he was worried about has elbows & cardiac arrest, not his feet. I understand his worries about his elbows given his years of drumming and his use and abuse of them. But cardiac arrest???

I think I also read in another thread that Neil saw a cardiologist prior to the tour. If something is wrong (obviously something must be) the good news is that Neil is aware of it and is trying to watch it. The bad news is that something is wrong and Neil has put on a bunch of weight over the last few years which will only make it worse.

Obviously I wish Neil a long & happy retirement with his family & the best of health. But this does not sound good.

I am somewhat shocked by this news. Did I miss something?? Was this discussed elsewhere and I missed it?? Am I reading to much into this? Am I the only one who has really noticed this news??

I find this news to be far more depressing then the confirmation that the band is done (which was not really news to me).

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 1

Neil mentions that in the lead up to the R40 tour he was worried about has elbows & cardiac arrest, not his feet. I understand his worries about his elbows given his years of drumming and his use and abuse of them. But cardiac arrest???

I think I also read in another thread that Neil saw a cardiologist prior to the tour. If something is wrong (obviously something must be) the good news is that Neil is aware of it and is trying to watch it. The bad news is that something is wrong and Neil has put on a bunch of weight over the last few years which will only make it worse.

Obviously I wish Neil a long & happy retirement with his family & the best of health. But this does not sound good.

I am somewhat shocked by this news. Did I miss something?? Was this discussed elsewhere and I missed it?? Am I reading to much into this? Am I the only one who has really noticed this news??

Seems like a sensible course of action for me.

Chain smoking man in his mid 60s, enjoys alcohol, slightly overweight, has an extremely physical and stressful job.

You'd have to say that's a high risk category.

• Like 1

I have not seen this documentary. Nor have I read Neil's latest book. Both are on my to do list. Nor have I read Neil's blog. I have read the entries in this thread and other related threads here.

So I preface my following comments / questions with the above facts.

I find this news to be far more depressing then the confirmation that the band is done (which was not really news to me).

Seems like a sensible course of action for me.

Chain smoking man in his mid 60s, enjoys alcohol, slightly overweight, has an extremely physical and stressful job.

You'd have to say that's a high risk category.

Yes, I wish them all good health, and a happy retirement, in whatever form they decide.

I've always kind of wondered that too. My guess is that he's pretty much always sounded the same.

I don't recall where I read it, it may have been the Visions book, but I could swear I read somewhere that until Led Zeppelin hit, Ged was singing in a lower register. I mean, it couldn't have been much lower because his voice is naturally high, but the shrieks and stuff came from Robert Plant. Before that they were more into Cream and The Who so it was less Banshee wail. Someone else may be able to correct me on this. :huh:

• Like 1