TRF Racism And Profanity Hypocrisy

ghostworks

I don't look at every single thread obviously, but compared to most other forums I've looked at this place is amazing. Most of you talk to each other as if you're sat together in person, whereas if you have a look at the majority of other forums, you can really tell that people are taking advantage of sitting behind their keyboard.
  • Like 10

I don't know what goes on in every single thread and/or subforum, but I've never seen anything out here on the main board that I can remember as being troublesome. SPAM is bizarre and strange, but that's to be expected in there. :unsure:

I think we do a good job of taking care of ourselves.

For the most part. :) :cheers:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 6

I don't know what goes on in every single thread and/or subforum, but I've never seen anything out here on the main board that I can remember. SPAM is bizarre and strange, but that's to be expected in there. :unsure:

I think we do a good job of taking care of ourselves.

For the most part. :) :cheers:

This place has gotten to the point where there's very little for the mods to do as far as putting out fires. Part of that is us mods lightening up a bit since the board started 12+ years ago, and part of it is the regular members knowing that we strive for a family-friendly vibe here and they're policing themselves.

TOST remains a pain in the ass because a few members in there think it's a private club where posting inappropriate content is allowed, and it's really the only thread that has the mods' attention right now. Grand Designs is a subforum of Random Samples, and neither forum is a password-protected adult-only forum, and it isn't a "access by request" forum like SOCN, so GD and TOST are very much part of the main board that everyone has access to.

• Like 5

I don't think this forum has a specific problem. Things are handled on a case by case basis, and a little common sense goes a long way to preventing issues. I've posted here for ten years, and I've been dressed down a couple of times, but I've rarely walked away with any question about where the line is crossed.

If a person is having issues with the rules here, the issue is not likely the rules. The issue is likely the person.

• Like 5

It's really not that difficult to play by a set of a few (very few) simple rules, is it?

The administrators and moderators have provided this place for us to gather and share and goof off and enjoy for the past 12 years- for free.

It's simple. Count your blessings and move on to the next thread.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 5

How odd. This forum is very PG rated compared to some I've seen. The only thing that I've seen go on that I thought should be nipped in the bud is some name calling. Or every once in a while the weirdo that pops up to cause trouble. Otherwise it's really laid back here. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

How odd. This forum is very PG rated compared to some I've seen. The only thing that I've seen go on that I thought should be nipped in the bud is some name calling. Or every once in a while the weirdo that pops up to cause trouble. Otherwise it's really laid back here.

Yeah. And most people think, "oh shit, I forgot the smiley!" and go back and edit right away.

• Like 3

How odd. This forum is very PG rated compared to some I've seen. The only thing that I've seen go on that I thought should be nipped in the bud is some name calling. Or every once in a while the weirdo that pops up to cause trouble. Otherwise it's really laid back here.

Yeah. And most people think, "oh shit, I forgot the smiley!" and go back and edit right away.

And that's a good thing most of the time. :)

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 3

I'm not sure what the OP is referring to, but I do have to say that racism or other forms of hate have no place here (or anywhere, for that matter). Yes, it is fine for people to have differences of opinion - that's just life. Discussions are great, and context is everything. But hate talk is not acceptable. Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 3

The Rush Forum is this beautiful historic mansion that has a thousand stories to tell ...

The SPAM Thread is one slate in the backyard of that mansion that, when lifted, exposes a teeming group of insects that are living underneath ..

The mansion is still wonderful

• Like 9

Believe it or not, this forum beats any religious fora I ever belonged to. I've met more trustworthy people here than I ever encountered on any of them.

• Like 4

I've never seen any racism on this forum. Profanity has never been much of a problem either. Once in awhile someone may go off but it's really not anything that got too out of control and took over the whole board. If anything with heavy racism or profanity did become too much, the mods always seem to put a stop to it in a timely matter once they're made aware of the situation.
  • Like 2

Believe it or not, this forum beats any religious fora I ever belonged to. I've met more trustworthy people here than I ever encountered on any of them.

No doubt! Religious zealots can be monsters behind their keyboards.

• Like 3

I'm not sure what the OP is referring to, but I do have to say that racism or other forms of hate have no place here (or anywhere, for that matter). Yes, it is fine for people to have differences of opinion - that's just life. Discussions are great, and context is everything. But hate talk is not acceptable.

I've got pretty thick skin

and I was personally offended by none of the words or comments that prompted the thread

what irks me most is the arbitrary double standard of what is and what is not 'offensive/censored' here

imo this arbitrary line is childish and silly, and though 99% of this forum - and my time here - is spent passively and enjoyably, sometimes that 1% needs a voice

I'm thankful this place allows that

I've vented, everyone's moved on - the company line shall remain arbitrary, childish and silly

TRF™ - Use at your own discretion

No doubt! Religious zealots can be monsters behind their keyboards.

Religion is a personal matter (or, at least it should be) and discussing it in mixed company all but guarantees a blowup. It's why many online communities don't allow religious discussion. Here, we try to keep it confined to SOCN.

• Like 5