A way for Rush to go out right

LeaveMyThingAlone

Instead, although this would never happen because of finances, I'd love to hear re-recorded instrumental tracks to a lot of the older albums. Take something sterile-sounding like Caress of Steel and give it the 2016 treatment with added guitar parts. Better bass tone. Livelier drums. A better mix. Don't touch the vocals.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat??!! Caress of Steel (especially) and all the other '70s albums sound 10 times more organic and lively than anything Rush has put out in at least the last three decades! To imagine the '70s material with such a polished, processed, bland, clinical, overblown and muddy wall of sound like Clockwork Angels is truly and utterly horrifying. In fact, this suggestion seems absolutely like a joke or else someone is in extreme need of ear irrigation. "Better bass tone." I can't even describe how wrong that is. Both Geddy and Alex had their best, most organic tones back in the day. I wish they sounded like that again today. "A better mix" Yeah well, if you call everything mashed together with hardly seperation a great mix, then I guess you're right. Lol.

How wrong you are. The first four albums sound like they were recorded with toy guitars, paper drums and and utter guesswork as to proper mic placement. The synth sounds on AFTK and Hemispheres sound primitive and forced. It wasn't till PW they figured out what they were doing in the studio.

New music please....

Geddy, at least, will make new music. He has said unequivocally that he is not done. I wonder what shape that will take when it happens. Who will write the lyrics? Who will he work with? What will be different about his rhythms when he's not playing off Neil? It could be amazing or it could be disappointing. My Favourite Headache is only okay to me and doesn't give me much confidence, but I would never write off a creative talent like Geddy's.

• Like 1

New music please....

Geddy, at least, will make new music. He has said unequivocally that he is not done. I wonder what shape that will take when it happens. Who will write the lyrics? Who will he work with? What will be different about his rhythms when he's not playing off Neil? It could be amazing or it could be disappointing. My Favourite Headache is only okay to me and doesn't give me much confidence, but I would never write off a creative talent like Geddy's.

NICE!! I love Geddy's solo album!!

Instead, although this would never happen because of finances, I'd love to hear re-recorded instrumental tracks to a lot of the older albums. Take something sterile-sounding like Caress of Steel and give it the 2016 treatment with added guitar parts. Better bass tone. Livelier drums. A better mix. Don't touch the vocals.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat??!! Caress of Steel (especially) and all the other '70s albums sound 10 times more organic and lively than anything Rush has put out in at least the last three decades! To imagine the '70s material with such a polished, processed, bland, clinical, overblown and muddy wall of sound like Clockwork Angels is truly and utterly horrifying. In fact, this suggestion seems absolutely like a joke or else someone is in extreme need of ear irrigation. "Better bass tone." I can't even describe how wrong that is. Both Geddy and Alex had their best, most organic tones back in the day. I wish they sounded like that again today. "A better mix" Yeah well, if you call everything mashed together with hardly seperation a great mix, then I guess you're right. Lol.

How wrong you are. The first four albums sound like they were recorded with toy guitars, paper drums and and utter guesswork as to proper mic placement. The synth sounds on AFTK and Hemispheres sound primitive and forced. It wasn't till PW they figured out what they were doing in the studio.

You are wrong. All of there stuff is great!

I think the boys should figure out a way to do one last mini tour and truly say farewell to their fans. I've heard Geddy mention that if this was indeed their last tour, he would have preferred to go out a little differently, and I'd guess Alex feels the same way. What we know is that Neil is cooked and has no interest in a tour the magnitude of the R40. I think Rush should put together 20-25 dates in the major North American cities, perhaps playing 2-4 nights each in Toronto, New York, LA, Chicago, Texas, etc so that it's not such a grind. They probably can't play 3 hours anymore so how about they scale it back to 90 minutes or so and have a "surprise" opening act for each city. We know the number of musicians and bands out there that would gladly play with Rush on their farewell tour. Foo Fighters, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, etc. These would be major acts that would help fill in the time that Rush would have played. We know a Rush farewell tour would sell out everywhere with their new found popularity and it gives the boys a chance to put together some special things for a true farewell to the fans. And playing less time and less cities won't blow them out.

Thoughts?

What about us in Europe? We get no tour again...?

:no:

:yes:

New music please....

Yea...but it ain't the same. I guess I should have said "New Rush music please..."

You are wrong. All of there stuff is great!

Where did I criticize "their" stuff? It's the sound of "their" stuff I have issues with.

• Like 1

Either you're trolling or your ear congestion is more severe than I thought. Please seek help immediately before it's too late.

Either you're trolling or your ear congestion is more severe than I thought. Please seek help immediately before it's too late.

I guess that's what passes for a personal attack in the Rush safe place. How cute! Nice job, kid.

As much as I would like to see them on tour, I just don't see it happening. At all. Now more music could definitely be a possibility. I've always wished they would do something again on the order of 2112 but make most of it instrumental. Geddys voice has just had it.

Live I can see your point. Studio wise Geddy really shined on Clockwork Angels.

Certainly, in the studio anything is possible, look but don't listen to posh spice. :o

Edited by condemned2bfree

I'm pretty sure he was jokingly making the same point.

I am betting on new material.

I imagine the guys will be in a place soon, where they are l itching to create again. Writing and recording I imagine

is not as detrimental to family life as touring. I do hope in a way, they do not tour again. It seems that even with the guys trying to make the best of it, in their own individual ways on tour,was still not enough in the end, to compensate for what they were missing. Time is precious, the watchmaker knew that! :)

But regarding new material, Its going to have to be rather amazing to top CA. I cant imagine the guys releasing material that does not equal it at least.

CA Just seems a fitting end.

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 3

I agree and can say with 99% certainty they probably won't tour again. This is all fantasy more than anything as I was just playing out what could happen if they do a farewell tour and how it might work.

But, seriously, there have been a ton of signs telling us they are done, but has there actually been an official announcement/interview/whatver from anyone in the Rush camp confirming they are done? No one seems to want to say it....

I agree and can say with 99% certainty they probably won't tour again. This is all fantasy more than anything as I was just playing out what could happen if they do a farewell tour and how it might work.

But, seriously, there have been a ton of signs telling us they are done, but has there actually been an official announcement/interview/whatver from anyone in the Rush camp confirming they are done? No one seems to want to say it....

I think that's because there's always the possibility that they might work on some music together. I don't really blame them for not making an official announcement. They are probably waiting to see what happens once they get together again. If they can't make anything that they want to release then they would just be disappointing people.

I think the boys should figure out a way to do one last mini tour and truly say farewell to their fans. I've heard Geddy mention that if this was indeed their last tour, he would have preferred to go out a little differently, and I'd guess Alex feels the same way. What we know is that Neil is cooked and has no interest in a tour the magnitude of the R40. I think Rush should put together 20-25 dates in the major North American cities, perhaps playing 2-4 nights each in Toronto, New York, LA, Chicago, Texas, etc so that it's not such a grind. They probably can't play 3 hours anymore so how about they scale it back to 90 minutes or so and have a "surprise" opening act for each city. We know the number of musicians and bands out there that would gladly play with Rush on their farewell tour. Foo Fighters, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, etc. These would be major acts that would help fill in the time that Rush would have played. We know a Rush farewell tour would sell out everywhere with their new found popularity and it gives the boys a chance to put together some special things for a true farewell to the fans. And playing less time and less cities won't blow them out.

Thoughts?

What about us in Europe? We get no tour again...?

You won't see much by standing in one spot.

Besides, what about Australia, Asia, and Africa? And look how long it took for South America to get their taste of Rush.

Thoughts?

You are aware that Metallica, Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam are more popular than Rush and make no sense as openers, even if they were a surprise.

I thought we all had accepted Rush was done touring. Yeah, maybe they didn't go out the way some think they should have. But I'm fine with R40 being their last tour. I just don't think Neil will tour again unless he runs into major financial hardship.

Well it's official, we need to get Neil poor, we can do credit fraud, or just plain robbery, who's in? It'll be just like Trailer Park Boys! :D

• Like 1

As much as I would like to see them on tour, I just don't see it happening. At all. Now more music could definitely be a possibility. I've always wished they would do something again on the order of 2112 but make most of it instrumental. Geddys voice has just had it.

Live I can see your point. Studio wise Geddy really shined on Clockwork Angels.

Yes! Not always for me...one or two not great moments...but screw the haters: his voice on Headlong Flight and Wish Them Well alone are BAE!!

And The Wreckers...and Seven Cities Of Gold...and BU2B...

I have some listening to do haha

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

Who knows at this point...

I think if there's any new material it'll be just a couple songs, a la Caravan and BU2B. But to not play live at all? The wild card is Neil.

I would be shocked if they record something and don't play it live.

Hate to say it, but you might want to prepare to be shocked.

Look, every few months or so, somebody pipes up with "Hey, I think Rush should really do this...they'd really go out right if they do this thing that I think they should do"...when in actuality, at this point, they were about two years ahead of you. R40 was it. Aside from the fact that it was North America only, and didn't get to be shared with anyone else who couldn't make the trip to one of those 34 shows...R40 was ideal. They already put all the thought into how they wanted to "go out" (if you want to call it that); R40 was a veritable love letter to the fans. And it was glorious.

If the three of them ever do anything together again- in a studio or whatever else- then great. I'd love to hear whatever might come of that. But if we've heard the last of Rush as a unit, then bless 'em for everything that they spent their lives giving to us.

• Like 6

Who knows at this point...

I think if there's any new material it'll be just a couple songs, a la Caravan and BU2B. But to not play live at all? The wild card is Neil.

I would be shocked if they record something and don't play it live.

Hate to say it, but you might want to prepare to be shocked.

Look, every few months or so, somebody pipes up with "Hey, I think Rush should really do this...they'd really go out right if they do this thing that I think they should do"...when in actuality, at this point, they were about two years ahead of you. R40 was it. Aside from the fact that it was North America only, and didn't get to be shared with anyone else who couldn't make the trip to one of those 34 shows...R40 was ideal. They already put all the thought into how they wanted to "go out" (if you want to call it that); R40 was a veritable love letter to the fans. And it was glorious.

If the three of them ever do anything together again- in a studio or whatever else- then great. I'd love to hear whatever might come of that. But if we've heard the last of Rush as a unit, then bless 'em for everything that they spent their lives giving to us.

I'm a little surprised their microscopically, meticulous anal-retentiveness didn't push them to do exactly 40 shows for R40. Just sayin'

• Like 1

The way to go out right is a west coast, middle USA, east coast date. Then a UK date, a German date, an Asian date in Korea or Japan. Then a Australia date, swing back to Rio then head north for a YYZ date. Give Neil enough time between shows to expose Oliva the wider world along the way.

R40 for me was by far the best tour and show I've EVAH seen of the 50 concerts I've been lucky to see over the years. Can't everyone see by now that was it as far as touring....it doesn't get any better than R40, that tour can't be topped. Please let it go fans we will only get more grey hairs bitching, moaning and wishing they get on the road again.

Now what I would wish for would be new material for an album or something different such as an instrumental album ex: Joe Satriani. Now that would be MORE realistic than RUSH ever getting back on the road. I don't know if I could handle another tour, I couldn't handle the 5 hour drive back here to West Palm Beach.....the whole event was far too emotional for me.