Greta Van Fleet vs. The Struts

GVF The Struts

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Choose one (10 member(s) have cast votes)

band

1. Greta Van Fleet (6 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. The Struts (4 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 10456 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:13 AM

Both of these modern rock bands are often cited as drawing heavily from their influences (or in the case of GVF, their seemingly singular influence). Which brand of possible copy-catism do you prefer?

Sponsored Post

#2 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35347 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:30 AM

Not sure I know any The Struts’ songs...but a vote for them is a vote against GVF. So, yeah like that

#3 zepphead

zepphead

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1846 posts
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:55 AM

I can't really vote as I have never heard anything by The Struts. I'm not overly fond of GVF ..... I prefer to listen to the real thing not a tribute band!

#4 Texas King

Texas King

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2635 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:27 AM

Can't vote.
I don't know anything about The Struts and GVF sucks ass.

#5 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 39579 posts
  • Interests:Favourite bands:
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Iced Earth
    Fleet Foxes
    Rush
    Biffy Clyro
    Nightwish
    After Forever
    Epica
    Lacuna Coil
    Toto
    Dream Theater
    Trivium

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:28 AM

The hate for GVF is ridiculous. They are a wonderful young band with so many wonderful songs.

And so many people who whine about a lack of originality I also see fawning over really unoriginal fare.

Young band, hearts in the right places, a love for classic rock of various eras, and they write and play their own material. Is it envy that they found an audience whilst your personal bland faves have not?

They are wonderful. And I think they sound like a mixture of Yes, Led Zeppelin and early nineties alt rock.

Looooove them.

#6 custom55

custom55

The Sphere

• Members
  • 8775 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

I have tickets for the following show(s) but are in question because of, you know:

The Musical Box - June 2, 2021

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:34 AM

I saw The Struts open for The Foos at MSG.  Rockin' band.

My vote goes to The Struts.

#7 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35347 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:14 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 17 October 2020 - 05:28 AM, said:

The hate for GVF is ridiculous. They are a wonderful young band with so many wonderful songs.

And so many people who whine about a lack of originality I also see fawning over really unoriginal fare.

Young band, hearts in the right places, a love for classic rock of various eras, and they write and play their own material. Is it envy that they found an audience whilst your personal bland faves have not?

They are wonderful. And I think they sound like a mixture of Yes, Led Zeppelin and early nineties alt rock.

Looooove them.

Well, I personally don’t remember saying that they lack originality. I only dislike the singer‘s voice. Hate, really. Sure, he’s trying to emulate Plant and that’s fine but it annoys me to where I can’t even focus on any decent elements the band actually has.

What’s ridiculous about hating someone’s voice? I’m sure everyone hates a vocalist or two out there.

#8 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35347 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:16 AM

View PostTexas King, on 17 October 2020 - 03:27 AM, said:

Can't vote.
I don't know anything about The Struts and GVF sucks ass.

I actually have heard this one. I just didn’t know it was The Struts.

It does nothing for me but I don’t particularly dislike it either.

#9 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5563 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:35 AM

I guess it comes down to your preference for the Robert Plant poser band or the Freddie Mercury poser band.

#10 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 39579 posts
  • Interests:Favourite bands:
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Iced Earth
    Fleet Foxes
    Rush
    Biffy Clyro
    Nightwish
    After Forever
    Epica
    Lacuna Coil
    Toto
    Dream Theater
    Trivium

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:11 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 October 2020 - 06:14 AM, said:

Looooove them.

Well, I personally don’t remember saying that they lack originality. I only dislike the singer‘s voice. Hate, really. Sure, he’s trying to emulate Plant and that’s fine but it annoys me to where I can’t even focus on any decent elements the band actually has.

What’s ridiculous about hating someone’s voice? I’m sure everyone hates a vocalist or two out there.

I honestly hear a blend of Jon Anderson and Geddy Lee

#11 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35347 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:51 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 17 October 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

Looooove them.

I honestly hear a blend of Jon Anderson and Geddy Lee

A former flatmate/childhood friend told me about this band a year and a half ago. He mentioned Geddy too so I gave them a whirl. I probably listened to about 5-6 songs from them JUST because that former flatmate of mine who knew me well was so convinced that I’d like them. He was wrong + surprised by my dislike. Oh well.

#12 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6338 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Home Media, Rants

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:11 AM

Greta Van Fleet is immensely overhated here.

#13 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6338 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:56 AM

Looooove them.

His voice is better than whoever the f**k is the lead singer of Poison.

"Ebwey wooooooose has itz foon!"

#14 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35347 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:12 AM

View Post_hi_water._, on 17 October 2020 - 09:56 AM, said:

Looooove them.

His voice is better than whoever the f**k is the lead singer of Poison.

"Ebwey wooooooose has itz foon!"

:lol:

I’m no fan of Poison’s Bret Michaels. But I think the pesky little GVF vocalist sings like his testicles are caught in a pair of pliers.

#15 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 14363 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:16 AM

I'm not sure I know anything from The Struts but I will never miss an opportunity to vote against Gretta Van Fleet.

#16 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 20621 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:41 AM

Don't know the struts.  but i ASSURE you their better  than rush-y van zep.  i have an intense one would say irrational dislike of them, lol  confession i've never actually made it through a complete spin of their debut.  it angers me THAT much.  i get up to track 5 and have to stop, lol

Mick

#17 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6338 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:43 AM

So GVF sucks because of the vocals, huh?

Then I guess Rush sucks, huh?

#18 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 20621 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:43 AM

Looooove them.

his voice makes my whole body tense, lol.  i can't stand it.

Mick

#19 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 20621 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:45 AM

View Post_hi_water._, on 17 October 2020 - 11:43 AM, said:

Actually 70's screech Ged is not my fav at all no, lol but.........i can tolerate it way more than greta's cat being lit on fire guy.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000, 17 October 2020 - 11:45 AM.

#20 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6338 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:48 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 17 October 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

View Post_hi_water._, on 17 October 2020 - 11:43 AM, said:

Actually 70's screech Ged is not my fav at all no, lol but.........i can tolerate it way more than greta's cat being lit on fire guy.

Mick
I was trolling :lol:

I love Ged's voice in the 90's tho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users