treeduck

Quick useless info update: because of it's microscopic size the total volume of covid-19, that has infected 53 million people, is just a mere 8 ml or 0.2 fluid ounces, about a tea spoon full.

Interesting. Seems like something that small might make it's way through a standard cloth mask, but I'm no scientist.

At my physical recently, I asked my doctor about the efficacy of masks. I was wearing a cloth one, he was wearing a more "diesel" one. He said that the one I was wearing does nothing. Which raises the question of why require that people wear a face covering if so many people are wearing something that is not effective.

It's to make the public feel safe and in control of something. That's why they want your face covered. It makes people feel like they're doing something to help even if it really doesn't do anything. The masks just protect us a little bit from breathing in all the available air near us. That's pretty much it.

Quick useless info update: because of it's microscopic size the total volume of covid-19, that has infected 53 million people, is just a mere 8 ml or 0.2 fluid ounces, about a tea spoon full.

Interesting. Seems like something that small might make it's way through a standard cloth mask, but I'm no scientist.

At my physical recently, I asked my doctor about the efficacy of masks. I was wearing a cloth one, he was wearing a more "diesel" one. He said that the one I was wearing does nothing. Which raises the question of why require that people wear a face covering if so many people are wearing something that is not effective.

Science!!!*

*political science, that is

It's to make the public feel safe and in control of something. That's why they want your face covered. It makes people feel like they're doing something to help even if it really doesn't do anything. The masks jThey protect us a little bit from breathing in all the available air near us. That's pretty much it.

Non-surgical mask-wearing is the plastic straw ban of the COVID pandemic. There is some impact, sure, but it's not going to turn things around like the most passionate adopters believe.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=MEDIA+ADVISORY%3A+Wehby+FT+AOP+6-11-20&utm_content=From+Health+Affairs%3A++Mask+Use+Could+Prevent+200%2C000%2B+US+COVID-19+Cases&stream=top&

Edited by goose

"One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel

And the next it's rolling over me . . . ."

My daughter and her spouse are both showing symptoms of active covid infection- fevers, loss of taste, luckily no breathing problems, knock wood. Of course the Dr. said go get tested immediately. Testing is still so spotty here in PA that they had to drive to MARYLAND (only 45 minutes but still) to get a test administered today. The results won't be back for 48 hours. This could have been, and should be, much different than the way things are running now.

How so?

My daughter and her spouse are both showing symptoms of active covid infection- fevers, loss of taste, luckily no breathing problems, knock wood. Of course the Dr. said go get tested immediately. Testing is still so spotty here in PA that they had to drive to MARYLAND (only 45 minutes but still) to get a test administered today. The results won't be back for 48 hours. This could have been, and should be, much different than the way things are running now.

How so?

:ranton: YMMV, but in a worldwide pandemic I don't think purchasing of testing supplies and PPE should have been left to individual states. There has been very little federal leadership from the top. Having all the states compete against each other and against hospitals and health providers for limited resources is not efficient. My daughter and son in law lost their jobs at a small health care firm because it could not obtain the PPE they needed for patients and staff, not with huge hospital chains and 50 individual states on the market for the same thing. There are times when the federal government could have used its clout to help make purchases of PPE and testing supplies (and/or invoked the Defense Production Act for more than ventilators).

It's worse, IMO when it gets to school districts. Why should over 13,000 school districts in the US be on their own as to figuring out policies and procedures that would keep their staff and students safe? Yes, many districts are used to operating independently, but again, why should they each have to obtain cleaning supplies, laptops, etc etc all on their own? We live in a 6 county area with a huge number of school districts and all have gone through the route of opening late, then opening hybrid, then going 100 percent face to face "because it's better for the kids" and finally now, one by one, announcing they are going totally remote until at least December due to coronavirus spiking again. The school district I graduated from has 8400 students over a large area. They have just gone totally remote because in the last week they have had 700 students and staff either positive or requiring quarantining. That's a big number and a lot to deal with for staff and administration who never asked to train in public health. Maybe they should have a little help. :rantoff:

(Ok, well, you asked. :LOL: I may be a bit touchy from my daughter and spouse having fever and symptoms today and having to go to MARYLAND to get tested! And my elderly mom calling and having symptoms and no one (so far) in her area being able to schedule her for a test. :banghead: I'm a little touchy on the subject. This has only been going on, what, 8 months? How long did those airline changes take after 9/11? :doh: ). Take care and keep the family and the lad and yourself safe! Numbers are on the rise for sure.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

How so?

:ranton: YMMV, but in a worldwide pandemic I don't think purchasing of testing supplies and PPE should have been left to individual states. There has been very little federal leadership from the top. Having all the states compete against each other and against hospitals and health providers for limited resources is not efficient. My daughter and son in law lost their jobs at a small health care firm because it could not obtain the PPE they needed for patients and staff, not with huge hospital chains and 50 individual states on the market for the same thing. There are times when the federal government could have used its clout to help make purchases of PPE and testing supplies (and/or invoked the Defense Production Act for more than ventilators).

It's worse, IMO when it gets to school districts. Why should over 13,000 school districts in the US be on their own as to figuring out policies and procedures that would keep their staff and students safe? Yes, many districts are used to operating independently, but again, why should they each have to obtain cleaning supplies, laptops, etc etc all on their own? We live in a 6 county area with a huge number of school districts and all have gone through the route of opening late, then opening hybrid, then going 100 percent face to face "because it's better for the kids" and finally now, one by one, announcing they are going totally remote until at least December due to coronavirus spiking again. The school district I graduated from has 8400 students over a large area. They have just gone totally remote because in the last week they have had 700 students and staff either positive or requiring quarantining. That's a big number and a lot to deal with for staff and administration who never asked to train in public health. Maybe they should have a little help. :rantoff:

(Ok, well, you asked. :LOL: I may be a bit touchy from my daughter and spouse having fever and symptoms today and having to go to MARYLAND to get tested! And my elderly mom calling and having symptoms and no one (so far) in her area being able to schedule her for a test. :banghead: I'm a little touchy on the subject. This has only been going on, what, 8 months? How long did those airline changes take after 9/11? :doh: ). Take care and keep the family and the lad and yourself safe! Numbers are on the rise for sure.

That's messed up about the testing. Here in New York state I haven't heard anything about people having to travel that far for tests. Places to get tested are set up pretty good around here. As for no federal aid and states having to fight it out in order to get what they need, that boils down to electing someone president who had no political experience and had no clue how to lead people and get everyone on the same page.

• Like 1

Do you remember the initial panic in New York and their call for the Fed to confiscate protective supplies from other states? How did things end up in New York? (The wave resided) And as the virus spread to other states, how might the ability of those states to respond have been impacted had their supplies been confiscated. (It may have been devastating)

It's worse, IMO when it gets to school districts. Why should over 13,000 school districts in the US be on their own as to figuring out policies and procedures that would keep their staff and students safe? Yes, many districts are used to operating independently, but again, why should they each have to obtain cleaning supplies, laptops, etc etc all on their own? We live in a 6 county area with a huge number of school districts and all have gone through the route of opening late, then opening hybrid, then going 100 percent face to face "because it's better for the kids" and finally now, one by one, announcing they are going totally remote until at least December due to coronavirus spiking again. The school district I graduated from has 8400 students over a large area. They have just gone totally remote because in the last week they have had 700 students and staff either positive or requiring quarantining. That's a big number and a lot to deal with for staff and administration who

Are you aware of the $billions in federal aid that were doled out to districts for protective measures to be put in place early in the crisis? Here's a report from July 8 on a local school receiving $72,000 for modifications for COVID safety.

https://www.nevadaappeal.com/news/carson-city-church-school-gets-72000-homeland-security-grant/

The current administration is horrible at getting the word out, and of course Trump's alienation of the Press doesn't help things, nor does the fact that he seems to know little of the details of what's being done. But it's simply not the case that there has been no response.

• Like 1

Do you remember the initial panic in New York and their call for the Fed to confiscate protective supplies from other states? How did things end up in New York? (The wave resided) And as the virus spread to other states, how might the ability of those states to respond have been impacted had their supplies been confiscated. (It may have been devastating)

It's worse, IMO when it gets to school districts. Why should over 13,000 school districts in the US be on their own as to figuring out policies and procedures that would keep their staff and students safe? Yes, many districts are used to operating independently, but again, why should they each have to obtain cleaning supplies, laptops, etc etc all on their own? We live in a 6 county area with a huge number of school districts and all have gone through the route of opening late, then opening hybrid, then going 100 percent face to face "because it's better for the kids" and finally now, one by one, announcing they are going totally remote until at least December due to coronavirus spiking again. The school district I graduated from has 8400 students over a large area. They have just gone totally remote because in the last week they have had 700 students and staff either positive or requiring quarantining. That's a big number and a lot to deal with for staff and administration who

Are you aware of the $billions in federal aid that were doled out to districts for protective measures to be put in place early in the crisis? Here's a report from July 8 on a local school receiving $72,000 for modifications for COVID safety.

https://www.nevadaap...security-grant/

The current administration is horrible at getting the word out, and of course Trump's alienation of the Press doesn't help things, nor does the fact that he seems to know little of the details of what's being done. But it's simply not the case that there has been no response.

I think.you meant that the wave receded...not even COVID wants to pay NY state and local taxes.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Article says it was a church receiving money for a grant.

Here in Los Angeles (and Palos Verdes where I live) - the district is strapped for Covid cash. Newsom cut the education budget by 15% before this school year.

During the school board meeting that summer, the school district had zero PPE supplies. When asked who was expected to clean the classrooms twice a day, and test kids as they were entering the school premises, the board did not have an answer. The understanding was that teachers would now be health professionals tasked with cleaning their classrooms and ensuring each and every kid could keep their mask on all day.

• Like 1

I did not say anything about confiscating supplies. There has been very little response on the federal level, however. You are welcome to disagree with me, and I guess we are, lol! I still maintain that having 50 individual states and countless individual businesses all competing for the same resources was/is inefficient. And yes, schools received money to help supply what they needed. Which they then had to turn to the same open market with in order to obtain the high priced supplies that could have been being produced here in the US starting in March or April. Why wasn't the Defense Production Act used for anything besides ventilators? And schools here at least received very little guidance. My husband teaches. My next door neighbor teaches. My best friend teaches. And all of their districts feel like they have been fumbling in the dark for what the best practices would be during a world wide pandemic.

I am old and growing up, there were kids in our neighborhood that lived through the polio era., some who were not the same afterward. There was a lot of government collaboration in support of a vaccine. That is one thing this government has done a good job at as well. However, there were also a lot of public health measures that started at the federal level on down, to try to keep people safe when polio transmission was not fully understood. The federal government did not choose at that time to say, "I'm not responsible". leaving states on their own.

It sounds like things are going relatively well in Nevada and I'm glad! It is a different state than back east however, and we have felt abandoned. :( :( In a lot of ways this is "woulda, coulda, shoulda." The past months are behind us but I hope things will go better from now on. I must exit as this is bringing out my argumentative side, which is like the last thing I need today! :LOL:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Is there nothing in this country that doesn't polarize us?

Can't we at least get along here outside of SOCN?

This has, in terms of the topics at least, become indistinguishable from SOCN.

I disagree! :LOL:

Assuming you’re referring to the above posts, bluesy & goose seem to get along fine. There’s nothing wrong with their disagreement especially since neither has made any personal attacks. This is what discussion is about, and that’s what they’ve been doing.

• Like 4

Well, more “A-Z” type threads might make me jump out of the window! :LOL:

Meaty topics are fine imho...just hope it doesn’t devolve into the nastiness which sometimes goes down in SOCN. :unsure:

• Like 1

Meaty topics are fine imho...just hope it doesn’t devolve into the nastiness which sometimes goes down in SOCN. :unsure:

:pussy:

:P

• Like 3

I did not say anything about confiscating supplies. There has been very little response on the federal level, however. You are welcome to disagree with me, and I guess we are, lol! I still maintain that having 50 individual states and countless individual businesses all competing for the same resources was/is inefficient. And yes, schools received money to help supply what they needed. Which they then had to turn to the same open market with in order to obtain the high priced supplies that could have been being produced here in the US starting in March or April. Why wasn't the Defense Production Act used for anything besides ventilators? And schools here at least received very little guidance. My husband teaches. My next door neighbor teaches. My best friend teaches. And all of their districts feel like they have been fumbling in the dark for what the best practices would be during a world wide pandemic.

I am old and growing up, there were kids in our neighborhood that lived through the polio era., some who were not the same afterward. There was a lot of government collaboration in support of a vaccine. That is one thing this government has done a good job at as well. However, there were also a lot of public health measures that started at the federal level on down, to try to keep people safe when polio transmission was not fully understood. The federal government did not choose at that time to say, "I'm not responsible". leaving states on their own.

It sounds like things are going relatively well in Nevada and I'm glad! It is a different state than back east however, and we have felt abandoned. :( :( In a lot of ways this is "woulda, coulda, shoulda." The past months are behind us but I hope things will go better from now on. I must exit as this is bringing out my argumentative side, which is like the last thing I need today! :LOL:

Just a discussion, no arguing. :hug2:

I would ask how long did it take to defeat polio? More than a year? Was the response immediate, or was it a long progression? No need to answer, of course. This is why I detest the Media. Everything is so caustic and impatient. It really is absurd. And reality tv President Trump is/was a big part of that problem. Good riddance.

• Like 4

:LOL:

Having a thick skin in SOCN shouldn’t be the signal for others to be the biggest dick they can be.

• Like 1

Having a thick skin in SOCN shouldn’t be the signal for others to be the biggest dick they can be.

I guess I am showing my age. If something you read on a message board or social media is ruining your day, you have big problems and they are yours and yours alone.

Well maybe your therapist as well...

Edited by thesweetscience
  • Like 1

I guess I am showing my age. If something you read on a message board or social media is ruining your day, you have big problems and they are yours and yours alone.

Yeah, of course “Don’t let things get to you” especially message board posts. But come on, being a dick isn’t something anyone should strive to be. Obviously.

Nothing on SOCN has bothered me but i see plenty of dicks flapping around in there. You know you do too.

• Like 2

Just a discussion, no arguing. :hug2:

I would ask how long did it take to defeat polio? More than a year? Was the response immediate, or was it a long progression? No need to answer, of course. This is why I detest the Media. Everything is so caustic and impatient. It really is absurd. And reality tv President Trump is/was a big part of that problem. Good riddance.

No worries! Thank you for the :hug2: and your answer, it's all good. My husband thinks I have been sitting too close to my light box! :LOL: Me, irritable? :LOL: Its quite possible in the weirdness that is 2020. We have 3 family members waiting on covid test results so I apologize if I have been snappish. They are doing ok but there's that worry that they will be positive and be one of those people that take a bad turn in week 2. Time for me to stow the discussion and concentrate on those Steelers! The terrible towel Christmas ornaments are selling out!

• Like 2

Yeah, of course “Don’t let things get to you” especially message board posts. But come on, being a dick isn’t something anyone should strive to be. Obviously.

Nothing on SOCN has bothered me but i see plenty of dicks flapping around in there. You know you do too.

Hell I am one of them. That's what makes the place so fun!!

Unless you're Gabe or others, constantly on the receiving end of borderline (or over the line) personal attacks. Probably not so "fun" for them.

Unless you're Gabe or others, constantly on the receiving end of borderline (or over the line) personal attacks. Probably not so "fun" for them.

Yeah, the whole "not being a dick" thing is kind of being tested right now. Let's not forget, he did kill animals for sport like that Jimmy John's founder slimeball. Nothing political about that, right?

https://www.politico...positive-438888

And shame on Newsom and Feinstein as well. I ain't giving him free passes because I voted for him and I've hated DINO Feinstein for years.

Edited by invisible airwave