Clockwork Angels Clockwork

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 tks95747

tks95747

The Seeker

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • Interests:Rush, music of all types, songwriting, guitar, piano, computer-based music production, movies, cats.

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:55 AM

I consider myself to be an old-school Rush fanatic, that is, I absolutely love their first 8 albums...Excellent material. (I am sure there are some of you that will consider an "old-school" love of their music to encompass, perhaps, less or more than their first 8 albums). In any event, I consider the next grouping of albums through CP to be great material (with the exception of Presto/RTB... just good material).

After CP, it my personal opinion that Test4Music is passable at best and that VT and S&A are detritus (except for maybe one or two songs between the two of them).

My real point is that when I first heard CA, I lumped it in with VT and S&A. I know that prior to first hearing it, I had pre-judged the album. Subsequently, I forced myself to listen to CA again and again with no more than a tepid reaction. However, after a few recent spins of CA, I have come to believe that it is a super album. I think my epiphany stems from the fact that I had a closed mind going in to each listen of the album.

For what it's worth, I now love CA and consider it to be one of their great works, although I still cannot stomach T4Music (except for Virtuality) and I run from VT or S&A.

What was your first reaction to CA?

Edited by tks95747, 11 January 2019 - 10:58 AM.

Sponsored Post

#2 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 36229 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Machine Head
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge
    Mekong Delta

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:55 PM

I loved Clockwork Angels instantly. So much so, it made me want to explore their entire catalogue.

It was my fourth Rush album (after Moving Pictures, 2112 and Permanent Waves in that order). I subsequently started to collect then all.

Sad thing is, with each new purchase, starting initially with completing the run from the debut through Signals, CA sounded less and less impressive.

Even now I enjoy CA, but it doesn't come close to their finest works. The best moments tend to remind me of better moments. I enjoy the album, but I think Snakes And Arrows SOUNDS more beautiful and Vapor Trails packs a mightier emotional punch.

I give CA 7/10. On a good day, it can sound like the finest record ever. But its rare I enjoy it that much.

#3 canadianice

canadianice

The Professor

• Members
  • 3571 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

I loved the album from day 1. As i have said many times, it is a MASTERPIECE.

#4 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 18196 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

This is an album from day 1 while everyone was frothing......i was like......WAIT A SECOND!!!!!

i disliked it with a passion than....not too hot on it now.

the thing.  individually.  i can actually enjoy songs.  but as an albm?  they ALL run together in a seemingly uneding wall of noise.

and when i say unending the album feels like longer than the director's cuts of Lord of the Rings......it just doesn't seem to end, lol

and the Production......while the less i say the more strokes i'll avoid.

5/10  but that's me being totally generous, lol

Songs i like.  on their own

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight

Mick

#5 tks95747

tks95747

The Seeker

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • Interests:Rush, music of all types, songwriting, guitar, piano, computer-based music production, movies, cats.

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 11 January 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

This is an album from day 1 while everyone was frothing......i was like......WAIT A SECOND!!!!!

i disliked it with a passion than....not too hot on it now.

the thing.  individually.  i can actually enjoy songs.  but as an albm?  they ALL run together in a seemingly uneding wall of noise.

and when i say unending the album feels like longer than the director's cuts of Lord of the Rings......it just doesn't seem to end, lol

and the Production......while the less i say the more strokes i'll avoid.

5/10  but that's me being totally generous, lol

Songs i like.  on their own

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight

Mick
"...feels like longer than the director's cuts of Lord of the Rings"....  LMAO...  That's funny as hell  :laughing guy:

#6 Wil1972

Wil1972

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2050 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:41 PM

Solid late career album. 7/10. Same for VT. Both are really good. As pointed out they cannot touch their pre-Atlantic years (1974-1988). But still worth the time. As for SnA... Well, it has a nice production quality to it...

Edited by Wil1972, 11 January 2019 - 01:41 PM.

#7 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 6018 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

Loved it from day one. Not quite on par with most of the Terry Brown stuff, but better than everything else.

#8 tks95747

tks95747

The Seeker

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:48 PM

View PostWil1972, on 11 January 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

Solid late career album. 7/10. Same for VT. Both are really good. As pointed out they cannot touch their pre-Atlantic years (1974-1988). But still worth the time. As for SnA... Well, it has a nice production quality to it...
"Well, it has a nice production quality to it..." ~ LOLOL...  If I were forced to come up with something nice to say about S&A....  Ok... Gimme a sec...  Ok... Ummm...  Uhhh....  Alright.... ummm...  Ok... I'll get back to you on that one ;)

#9 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 2060 posts
  • Interests:Professional Photographer

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:04 PM

I have anticipated and throughly enjoyed, every single release since Fly By Night. I can honestly say that I played every release multiple times when they came out. Many times the people around me got tired of hearing it. Clockwork Angels included.

#10 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 36229 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Machine Head
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge
    Mekong Delta

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 11 January 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

Loved it from day one. Not quite on par with most of the Terry Brown stuff, but better than everything else.

This album doesn't come close to Grace Under Pressure, or anything from HYF to Counterparts, VT and arguably SA.

#11 tks95747

tks95747

The Seeker

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:59 PM

View PostMr. JD, on 11 January 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

I have anticipated and throughly enjoyed, every single release since Fly By Night. I can honestly say that I played every release multiple times when they came out. Many times the people around me got tired of hearing it. Clockwork Angels included.
Rather odd that you exclude the debut? Purposely or oversight?

#12 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:20 PM

I think CA is a fine album, concept wise, but the production brings the rating down.  Neil's drums, especially the toms, sound like they were recorded underwater, in a pineapple.  As mentioned the wall-of-sound brings on ear fatigue rather quickly, I don't think I managed to listen through it one sitting. ...I miss old school albums/ tapes where you got a chance to flip it over, essentially an 'ear break' (ok, beer break).

Oh, BU2B2 is a complete miss...it probably sounded like a good idea on paper or in pre-production...

7.5/10

Pros: another Rush album to bitch about

Cons: the last Rush album to bitch about

#13 tks95747

tks95747

The Seeker

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:25 PM

View PostPlanet X-1, on 11 January 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

I think CA is a fine album, concept wise, but the production brings the rating down.  Neil's drums, especially the toms, sound like they were recorded underwater, in a pineapple.  As mentioned the wall-of-sound brings on ear fatigue rather quickly, I don't think I managed to listen through it one sitting. ...I miss old school albums/ tapes where you got a chance to flip it over, essentially an 'ear break' (ok, beer break).

Oh, BU2B2 is a complete miss...it probably sounded like a good idea on paper or in pre-production...

7.5/10

Pros: another Rush album to bitch about

Cons: the last Rush album to bitch about
"BU2B2 is a complete miss..."   Couldn't agree more. I just don't get it... :eh:

#14 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3534 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

View Posttks95747, on 11 January 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

View PostMr. JD, on 11 January 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

Rather odd that you exclude the debut? Purposely or oversight?

JD was a fan way back when when the first album was out.  Therefore, he has anticipated the release of every subsequent album.

#15 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3534 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

I too identify as old school fan.  My favorite 8 albums are the first 8 albums.  
I was, however, really impressed with CA and have loved it ever since first listen.  I might even put it my top 8 and bump the debut to the 9 spot.

#16 thizzellewashington

thizzellewashington

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

I think Clockwork Angels and Vapor Trails are in a different tier from the rest of their post-80s work.

#17 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1315 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:33 PM

I still have never and will never be able to listen to CA start to finish. Its a tedious chore. To be fair I've felt the same way with VT and Snooze & Snoreows
All three of the last studio albums could've easily had two or more weaker songs left off without affecting anything

#18 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 6018 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 11 January 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 11 January 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

This album doesn't come close to Grace Under Pressure, or anything from HYF to Counterparts, VT and arguably SA.

GuP, HYF, Presto, and VT are all good, but a step below CA. PoW comes close, but doesn’t quite match its highs. RTB and CP just aren’t very good by Rush’s standards, especially RTB. Sounds like Huey Lewis And The News without any gusto.

#19 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9982 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:20 PM

View Postthizzellewashington, on 11 January 2019 - 04:39 PM, said:

I think Clockwork Angels and Vapor Trails are in a different tier from the rest of their post-80s work.

I agree. For me its hard to describe but they are more emotional?

#20 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4673 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

It's a good album, conditionally. By conditionally, I mean that it's a solid, adventurous effort for their age and declining abilities. A SnA version 2.0 would have been a real disappointment. Hanging it up after Testicles For Echo, because of Neil's situation, would have been a travesty.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clockwork Angels, Clockwork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users