How many years have you been a RUSH fan?

That One Guy

How many years have you been a RUSH fan?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. How many years have you been a RUSH fan?

One weekend night in 1977 I caught them on Don Kirschner's Rock Concert - I was 9 or 10, and enjoying my favorite thing to do - staying awake into the wee hours of the night watching horror films and bands

I first saw 'em live in 1980 - it was akin to a spiritual experience

1977, that would have been either one of the AFTK or Xanadu videos (Rush playing on a stage along with the studio tracks). I saw AFTK on Don Kirshner. I freaked out. If I had seen Xanadu I would have had a stroke.

Yeah, perfect Saturday night for a twelve year-old: seeing Rush on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, followed by Gargoyles (the '72 movie) or The Omega Man on the Midnight Movie.

I LOVED that movie

garg10.jpg

I saw Gargoyles in '74 or '75...it scared the shit out of me.

• Like 1

One weekend night in 1977 I caught them on Don Kirschner's Rock Concert - I was 9 or 10, and enjoying my favorite thing to do - staying awake into the wee hours of the night watching horror films and bands

1977, that would have been either one of the AFTK or Xanadu videos (Rush playing on a stage along with the studio tracks). I saw AFTK on Don Kirshner. I freaked out. If I had seen Xanadu I would have had a stroke.

Yeah, perfect Saturday night for a twelve year-old: seeing Rush on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, followed by Gargoyles (the '72 movie) or The Omega Man on the Midnight Movie.

I LOVED that movie

garg10.jpg

Me too

That opening scene in the garage / barn ..... that was some scary ****

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Analog Teen. Since you're new here, let me ask you this important question: would you consider an album that was written, recorded, mixed, mastered, and packaged in 1979 a 70s album? Makes sense, no? Would you say that the decision to release it, say, the first week of January 1980 was probably more just a marketing move? It would be kind of silly to say that an album that was completely finished before the year 1979 rolled into 1980 is an "80s album," wouldn't it? I'm just asking, because some people think that Permanent Waves is an "80s album" just because it was released on the first day of the new decade, or whatever.

Protip: this isn't the f***ing thread for that. There's a thread for that. It's near this thread on the top of the page.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum, Analog Teen. Since you're new here, let me ask you this important question: would you consider an album that was written, recorded, mixed, mastered, and packaged in 1979 a 70s album? Makes sense, no? Would you say that the decision to release it, say, the first week of January 1980 was probably more just a marketing move? It would be kind of silly to say that an album that was completely finished before the year 1979 rolled into 1980 is an "80s album," wouldn't it? I'm just asking, because some people think that Permanent Waves is an "80s album" just because it was released on the first day of the new decade, or whatever.

Protip: this isn't the f***ing thread for that. There's a thread for that. It's near this thread on the top of the page.

http://s26.postimg.org/bv8dv0ayh/Dai_Mahou_Spanking.gif

• Like 2

Seize any opportunity to spread the truth, I say.

5-6 years. I was 11ish.

Curious to know what got you into it. Was it the playing of the classics or the new stuff that piqued your interest?

My dad put on Moving Pictures in the car one day. :)

I LOVED that movie

garg10.jpg

In that case you could do with watching it again...

• Like 1

I LOVED that movie

garg10.jpg

Me too

I LOVED that movie

garg10.jpg

Me too

Me three. I first saw it as a young kid and it scared the piss out of me.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Whenever the subject of Permanent Waves comes up, and whether it is a 70s or 80s album, and there is endless banter about it, I'm just going start posting pictures of The Bay City Rollers

***** ******* ****** !!

You like them?!? Could you direct me to a good place to start! I like your goofball taste, it led me to a surprisingly fun J-pop band!

• Like 1

Since the release of 2112.......so that equates to 39 years.

I missed the release of the first three albums, as I was way down in the abyss of KISS worship. Luckily, I dug my way out of that...... :LOL:

:goodone: Same exact situation for me...KISS obsession and all. I'd heard "2112" and "All the World's a Stage", however I jumped in heavy at "A Farewell to Kings".

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 1

37 years.

Nice thread to separate the men from boys haha!

Edited by MMCXII

I've only been a fan since May. I've been hearing their hits on the radio for years and decided to dig deep this year. The songs that hooked me were Tom Sawyer and Fly By Night, which led to my decision to buy my first two Rush albums. Those albums were Fly By Night and Moving Pictures. Nothing beats listening to YYZ for the first time.
  • Like 1

Whenever the subject of Permanent Waves comes up, and whether it is a 70s or 80s album, and there is endless banter about it, I'm just going start posting pictures of The Bay City Rollers

***** ******* ****** !!

You like them?!? Could you direct me to a good place to start! I like your goofball taste, it led me to a surprisingly fun J-pop band!

Goofball taste ?!?!?!

lol

The Bay Coty Rollers had two eras - "Rollermaina" in which they were huge, and then the aftermath, in which they all but fell off the face of the Earth ..

"Won't You Come Home With Me" is a great song which came well after their heyday .. Nobody really knows this era because of the stigma attached to their earlier popularity, but there are some fantastic songs . .

... and "Summer Love Sensation" and "Shang-A-Lang" from the height of Rollermania

Summer Love Sensation still gives me goosebumps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU4hKBK_w24

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

***** ******* ****** !!

:goodone:

• Like 1

***** ******* ****** !!

:goodone:

That collective groan you just heard was from the other forum members saying

DON'T ENCOURAGE HIM