Carter Buthford better than neil??

nicky6

A lot of people say carter buthford would wipe neil up and is a way better drummer than neil, say it aint so... Funny. everyones heard of neil. carter doesn't get brought up in drummer polls too much. I cant stand dave Matthews band. they are boring..

"Groove" as defined by the Official Drummer's Dictionary is:

"the drummer's ability to induce involuntary foot stomping and body movements through his/her selection of beats and sounds throughout a musical composition".

When I think "groove" Neils does not come to mind. Too precise IMO

Edited by thirteen
  • Like 2

"Groove" as defined by the Official Drummer's Dictionary is:

"the drummer's ability to induce involuntary foot stomping and body movements through his/her selection of beats and sounds throughout a musical composition".

When I think "groove" Neils does not come to mind. Too precise IMO

I liked your pre-edited post better. :LOL:

• Like 1

What can he do on the drums that Neil can't?

Groove.

Exactly.

What does that mean? Is it the same as having "feel"?

Pretty much. Funk, jazz and R&B are genres that you think of that are most associated with groove, but even prog rock can groove -- just ask Gavin Harrison.

Another word for it is "swing," and if you listen to the two Buddy Rich CDs that Neil was involved in back in the '90s, you can hear that Neil, at that time, didn't have the same sense of groove and swing that the other drummers did. But to be fair, most of the drummers on that project played jazz and funk for a living, and Neil sounded a little stiff in comparison. But he knew that, and he wanted to get a looser feel in his drumming, which is why he took lessons from Freddie Gruber and Peter Erskine. Neil's groove and feel are better these days, but he's still no Gavin or Steve Smith. Or Carter Beauford.

• Like 3

I tap my fingers on the edge of the table and try to do all of Neil's tricksy foot stuff all the time - and a lot of the time it's involuntary. How do I know all this business about grooving and swinging and being in the pocket and "feelin' it man" isn't more elitist music snobbery? Hey, man, that Neil don't swing because he can't get loose behind the beat, man. . . that Neil cat's too stiff, baby . . .

I don't know. I think what he does is pretty damn cool, but then I don't even really like big band stuff that much, so what the hell do I know?

• Like 1

I tap my fingers on the edge of the table and try to do all of Neil's tricksy foot stuff all the time - and a lot of the time it's involuntary. How do I know all this business about grooving and swinging and being in the pocket and "feelin' it man" isn't more elitist music snobbery? Hey, man, that Neil don't swing because he can't get loose behind the beat, man. . . that Neil cat's too stiff, baby . . .

I don't know. I think what he does is pretty damn cool, but then I don't even really like big band stuff that much, so what the hell do I know?

Neil does just fine in the context of Rush. The music they play lends itself to his style of drumming. But, put Neil behind the kit in Dave Matthews Band and he would not fit in. That's not saying Neil sucks -- DMB's music is just not in his wheelhouse, that's all, and he'd be the first to admit it. Someone like Gavin Harrison would do fine in either Rush or DMB, I think.

Again, Neil's sense of feel has improved over the years. A song like Peaceable Kingdom has a decent groove to it.

• Like 3

If you want an excellent example of a drummer that can outgroove Neil while keeping it simple, check out AC/DC. Phil Rudd is one of the absolute best rock drummers in the world.

A lot of people here will laugh at that, but guys like Rudd and Kenny Aronoff are very good at what they do. Mind you, I'm not sure you could plug those guys into Rush too easily -- which is one of the things that makes Neil special -- but we're talking groove here.

• Like 3

If you want an excellent example of a drummer that can outgroove Neil while keeping it simple, check out AC/DC. Phil Rudd is one of the absolute best rock drummers in the world.

A lot of people here will laugh at that, but guys like Rudd and Kenny Aronoff are very good at what they do. Mind you, I'm not sure you could plug those guys into Rush too easily -- which is one of the things that makes Neil special -- but we're talking groove here.

As far as groove goes for rock drummers, nothing tops Bonzo in my opinion.

• Like 1

it's not elitism. neil's a very mechanical drummer who can't improvise. that being said, all that groovin and swingin doesn't mean much if your music is as unlistenable as DMB.