Carter Buthford better than neil??

nicky6

to groove....in many ways you almost have to be a musician to really "get it"... its not an entirely intellectual thing you can read a book about and just understand....you also are better serviced to understand it by listening to a wide variety of styles...its not just about being good with a click track...although that helps for sure....but I have to say in many cases if you plan on working as a drummer and ever find yourself not understanding or wanting to understand it....you are not going to get many gigs.

Benny Greb is a great groove drummer who plays far more complex material than Rudd...as mentioned Gavin proved prog CAÑ groove....Alan White for example...stiff non grooving prog...

Groove has a nice motion...it makes people want to dance....as much as I love La Villa..its the last song that makes me think...groove.

How about digital man?

it's not elitism. neil's a very mechanical drummer who can't improvise. that being said, all that groovin and swingin doesn't mean much if your music is as unlistenable as DMB.

Why do you say Neil can't improvise. Isn't that what he's doing in his instructional videos?

I haven't watched those. I just know his drumming seems very planned out, and he seems to play the same fills at the same moment every single night. nothing wrong with it, it's just how it is.

Rush seems to think that the fans expect this, I think. I was just reading the latest Canadian Musician magazine, and even there Lee says that they take pride in reproducing the songs as close to the album versions as possible - possibly so all those air drummers can have their moments.

Lee AND Lifeson have said over the years about having live songs as close to the album as possible. In an article about 20-25 years ago, I remember one of them saying that they felt kind of disappointed when they went to a gig (as audience members) and a song was too different from what they heard off the album. Their reasoning was that they went to the gig for those songs off the album, NOT for different versions of those songs. So I highly doubt the "air drummers can have their moments" guess.

it's not elitism. neil's a very mechanical drummer who can't improvise. that being said, all that groovin and swingin doesn't mean much if your music is as unlistenable as DMB.

Why do you say Neil can't improvise. Isn't that what he's doing in his instructional videos?

I haven't watched those. I just know his drumming seems very planned out, and he seems to play the same fills at the same moment every single night. nothing wrong with it, it's just how it is.

Rush seems to think that the fans expect this, I think. I was just reading the latest Canadian Musician magazine, and even there Lee says that they take pride in reproducing the songs as close to the album versions as possible - possibly so all those air drummers can have their moments.

Lee AND Lifeson have said over the years about having live songs as close to the album as possible. In an article about 20-25 years ago, I remember one of them saying that they felt kind of disappointed when they went to a gig (as audience members) and a song was too different from what they heard off the album. Their reasoning was that they went to the gig for those songs off the album, NOT for different versions of those songs. So I highly doubt the "air drummers can have their moments" guess.

Consider it symbolically. I meant they do it for the fans.

He's super tight as a drummer - too precise for my taste.

Are you talking about Neil or Carter?

LOL!

I love Carter and I hate the band he plays for.

Perhaps we should start a thread. Who has better vocals? GEDDY OR DAVE???? UGH!

Simon Phillips is better than Neil. Open Hand Drumming Madman!

What can he do on the drums that Neil can't?

Groove.

Exactly.

What does that mean? Is it the same as having "feel"?

Pretty much. Funk, jazz and R&B are genres that you think of that are most associated with groove, but even prog rock can groove -- just ask Gavin Harrison.

Another word for it is "swing," and if you listen to the two Buddy Rich CDs that Neil was involved in back in the '90s, you can hear that Neil, at that time, didn't have the same sense of groove and swing that the other drummers did. But to be fair, most of the drummers on that project played jazz and funk for a living, and Neil sounded a little stiff in comparison. But he knew that, and he wanted to get a looser feel in his drumming, which is why he took lessons from Freddie Gruber and Peter Erskine. Neil's groove and feel are better these days, but he's still no Gavin or Steve Smith. Or Carter Beauford.

This is a very interesting assessment Jim. I totally get it. Never really thought of Gavin in Rush. I am sure he could pull it off.

For some reason I think Danny Carey would do a better job than Gavin.

Then again why not have Dave Weckl play in Rush?

That's an inside joke Jim.

Dennis Chambers is better than Neil and Carter combined.

i liked the first 2, maybe 3 DMB albums man, then after that they became just another alternative rock band in the 90's, but with better musicianship. LeRoi was a badass too. RIP.

I only love one DMB album. Can't remember the title. Third album? Not sure.

I tap my fingers on the edge of the table and try to do all of Neil's tricksy foot stuff all the time - and a lot of the time it's involuntary. How do I know all this business about grooving and swinging and being in the pocket and "feelin' it man" isn't more elitist music snobbery? Hey, man, that Neil don't swing because he can't get loose behind the beat, man. . . that Neil cat's too stiff, baby . . .

I don't know. I think what he does is pretty damn cool, but then I don't even really like big band stuff that much, so what the hell do I know?

Neil does just fine in the context of Rush. The music they play lends itself to his style of drumming. But, put Neil behind the kit in Dave Matthews Band and he would not fit in. That's not saying Neil sucks -- DMB's music is just not in his wheelhouse, that's all, and he'd be the first to admit it. Someone like Gavin Harrison would do fine in either Rush or DMB, I think.

Again, Neil's sense of feel has improved over the years. A song like Peaceable Kingdom has a decent groove to it.

Jeff Porcaro- Boz Scaggs "Silk Degrees"

Groove.

Yes, define "groove", please.

"a cognitive temporal phenomenon emerging from one or more carefully aligned concurrent rhythmic patterns, characterized by...perception of recurring pulses, and subdivision of structure in such pulses,...perception of a cycle of time, of length 2 or more pulses, enabling identification of cycle locations, and...effectiveness of engaging synchronizing body responses"

aka, ever so slightly behind the beat.
  • Like 1

Groove.

"a cognitive temporal phenomenon emerging from one or more carefully aligned concurrent rhythmic patterns, characterized by...perception of recurring pulses, and subdivision of structure in such pulses,...perception of a cycle of time, of length 2 or more pulses, enabling identification of cycle locations, and...effectiveness of engaging synchronizing body responses"

AWESOME!!!!!!

In the groove drumming is so fun.

Again.

Jeff Porcaro - Boz Scaggs "Silk Degrees."

One of the greatest in the pocket/groove albums ever!

Even Jeff's TOTO grooves and just dreamy and creamy.

• Like 1

Groove.

AWESOME!!!!!!

Again.

hey don't sleep on Steely Dan's Katy Lied.

• Like 2

Groove.

AWESOME!!!!!!

Again.

hey don't sleep on Steely Dan's Katy Lied.

OMG! Did you just go there?

HELL YES!

Fukk man don't forget about Steve God Triplet King Gadd on "AJA!"

One of the greatest albums EVER!

Ok then,

So then at this rate I think David Garibaldi is better than Neil.

"WHAT IS HIP RUSH FANBOIS????"

Just today I was thinking about how Neil executes his drum parts, as opposed to playing the drums. It's a very deliberate approach, which works perfectly for RUSH.
  • Like 2

Ok then,

So then at this rate I think David Garibaldi is better than Neil.

"WHAT IS HIP RUSH FANBOIS????"

Just today I was thinking about how Neil executes his drum parts, as opposed to playing the drums. It's a very deliberate approach, which works perfectly for RUSH.

I am very good friends with the EX-drummer from the local prog band ENCHANT. They are still big in the UK.

Anyway we have had this ongoing joke about Neil for 20 years!

We think he looks like an "ANGRY MECHANIC" when he plays, I mean executes his parts on the drums!

Epic!

Listening to "Katy Lied." EPIC.

Signed,

"Neil Lied."

• Like 1

Groove.

That's exactly right.

Groove.

That's exactly right.

STEWART COPELAND!

Not sure the definition of "groove", but in my book, Lenny White is in one at about 2:25 and then takes it up a notch at 3:00

What he and Stanley get going in this song is incredible

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Not sure the definition of "groove", but in my book, it Lenny White is in one at about 2:25 and then takes it up a notch at 3:00

What he and Stanley get going in this song is incredible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGNBMNeytZU&index=11&list=LLzAow5_3VlF2SGxPRwYKYyA

Lucas!

No! Dude! YOU NAILED IT!

Hell yes! Lenny!!!