• Led Zeppelin II
    • Led Zeppelin III
    • Houses Of The Holy
    • Physical Graffiti
    • Presence
    • In Through The Out Door
    • Coda
    • ______

As some have posted above, I voted for Physical Graffiti partly because there's just more of it. Say what you want about the grab bag of styles on III or HotH, but PG has that and then some.

"Kashmir," "Trampled Underfoot," "Boogies With Stu," "In the Light," "In My Time of Dying," hell, even "Custard Pie"! PG is the album that goes up to eleven.

Let me just offer a word Led Zeppelin I, though; has there ever been a more thunderous or door-kicked-in debut? Plus, it's got "Dazed and Confused" and "How Many More Times."

Yes, there was Van Halen’s debut.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but out of curiosity, who did most of the writing on Van Halen I?

As some have posted above, I voted for Physical Graffiti partly because there's just more of it. Say what you want about the grab bag of styles on III or HotH, but PG has that and then some.

"Kashmir," "Trampled Underfoot," "Boogies With Stu," "In the Light," "In My Time of Dying," hell, even "Custard Pie"! PG is the album that goes up to eleven.

Let me just offer a word Led Zeppelin I, though; has there ever been a more thunderous or door-kicked-in debut? Plus, it's got "Dazed and Confused" and "How Many More Times."

I don't want to hijack the thread, but out of curiosity, who did most of the writing on Van Halen I?

I don’t know actually. I always assumed it was Eddie and DLR.

• Like 2

I don’t know actually. I always assumed it was Eddie and DLR.

If you ask Eddie now, MA didn't even play the bass!
  • Like 2

Why did it take me so long to find this thread? I have become obsessed with Led Zeppelin. I plan to buy The Song Remains the Same and watch it at least 10 times. I just streamed a Zep concert from 1971. Robert Plant was really something when he was in his prime. He spawned an entire generation of imitators.
  • Like 4

Why did it take me so long to find this thread? I have become obsessed with Led Zeppelin. I plan to buy The Song Remains the Same and watch it at least 10 times. I just streamed a Zep concert from 1971. Robert Plant was really something when he was in his prime. He spawned an entire generation of imitators.

My favorite versions of Stairway and WLL are the ones on TSRTS

And the forest's will echo with laughter....does anyone remember LAUGHTER.......wonderful and appropriate in the world one again

• Like 1

And the forest's will echo with laughter....does anyone remember LAUGHTER.......wonderful and appropriate in the world one again

Robert Plant was a great lyricist. Imagine what the world would be like if he had become a boring old accountant as he'd originally planned.
  • Like 3

The supermarket has automatic doors. I always think of Led Zeppelin when I go In Through the Out Door. Why use the In door when the Out door is closer and it's already open for me because of the previous customer who just left the market?
  • Like 1

As time goes on, it's really difficult for me to have an appreciation for Led Zeppelin anymore.

Classic rock radio plays the heck out of the band a lot.

As well, when I've read about plaigarism lawsuits involving the band over the years, I have to wonder if they were really musically authentic or not.

Jimmy Page hasn't always been a 'down to earth' interview subject either.

Like The Beatles, I get tired of seeing so many books on the band, whether they're authorized or unauthorized releases.

The individual members are very talented, but as a band I think they're overrated at times.

Now I see why Robert Plant probably wants to distance himself from the band as times goes on.

Edited by RushFanForever

I think the reason I find them fascinating is because they were before my time and I was never able to see them live. I can see a lot of their influence in other bands like Aerosmith, Kingdom Come and Greta Van Fleet. A lot of frontmen have tried to imitate Robert Plant over the years. The reason why so many new bands have failed I think is because Zeppelin set the bar too high.
  • Like 3

The supermarket has automatic doors. I always think of Led Zeppelin when I go In Through the Out Door. Why use the In door when the Out door is closer and it's already open for me because of the previous customer who just left the market?

That's the same scenario with me.

That's the same scenario with me.

I actually do it on purpose because Led Zeppelin made it seem cool.

Do you do this "In The Evening"? And when you get in the store do you say "Hot Dog" I made it?

sorry, I had to :laughing guy:

Do you do this "In The Evening"? And when you get in the store do you say "Hot Dog" I made it?

sorry, I had to :laughing guy:

That's perfect.

As time goes on, it's really difficult for me to have an appreciation for Led Zeppelin anymore.

As well, when I've read about plaigarism lawsuits involving the band over the years, I have to wonder if they were really musically authentic or not.

Like The Beatles, I get tired of seeing so many books on the band, whether they're authorized or unauthorized releases.

The individual members are very talented, but as a band I think they're overrated at times.

Now I see why Robert Plant probably wants to distance himself from the band as times goes on.

Never overrated. Zep is the GOAT.
  • Like 1

I normally shy away from a discussion of whether any band is ‘authentic’, or even whether they were any good musically (as some people seem to think that being in some ways derivative means that the musicians aren’t any good, which is preposterous).

Zeppelin took even the songs that they did plagiarize (actually, IMO Whole Lotta Love might be the only one), and made them their own. They had a sound that no one had ever had before.

With the benefit of 40-50 years of hindsight, some people look back at them and call them derivative, or inauthentic. But at their time, they were doing things and making sounds that no band has ever made before. (...derivative innovators?).

Regardless, they were a tremendous band. Even if I don’t listen to them anywhere near as much as I used to...still a tremendous band.

As far as Plant is concerned, I have always had great respect for the general distance he has kept from Zeppelin music- his mantra has always been ‘ever onward’. And I greatly respect that he recognizes what his voice cannot do anymore, and instead he makes music better suited to his voice as an older man, and not the Lemon Squeeze Kid.

• Like 4

not me

love them as much as ever. imo still the "coolest" band ever.

• Like 5

I didn't find out until very recently that Robert Plant wrote this for his son who died.

That's real pain in his voice. I think this is one of Zep's finest songs.

• Like 6

This is an argumentative statement, but the Jeff Beck Group's 1968 debut album

is what paved the way for Led Zeppelin.

From Classic Rock Magazine via Louder.

The Jeff Beck Group: The Story Of Truth

Paved the way, sure. Got to where they were going before they did, no way. It's a great album, but it isn't Zep I or II.

• Like 3

GOAT is utterly subjective. Myself, I think The Beatles are the GOAT. I have a cousin that think Ozzy era Sabbath are the GOAT. I have a nearly lifelong friend that agrees with you. That said, Zep and Sabbath fit quite comfortably in my all-time top-ten.

• Like 2