Neil Peart - Most Overrated Drummer Ever

LedRush

he's great playing with the band. but dude can no longer make an exciting solo to save his life.

oh.......hi :hi:

Mick

Where the hell you been!?

in solitary confinement........lol.

Really just taking personal time off.

Mick

I would need solitary confinement for thinking Presto was a great album, too ;)

• Like 3

he's great playing with the band. but dude can no longer make an exciting solo to save his life.

Mick

Mick

Have you ever actually heard your favourite? Coz sometimes when you post like this...I think you must have the wrong disc in Counterparts.

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

Have you ever actually heard your favourite? Coz sometimes when you post like this...I think you must have the wrong disc in Counterparts.

Sorry, I didn't read your post. I was too busy staring at your sig.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Sorry, I didn't read your post. I was too busy staring at your sig.

Stare away!

She. Is. *dribbledribbledribble*

How do you gage 'soul' in a drummer's playing? I'm so confused by this. For me, Neil consistently produces catchy drum lines that fit perfectly with the songs. How being a technical drummer is a bad thing?

Instead of flying around and beating the crap out the drums he has to 'feeeeel' the drums....like caressing a puppy right?

Yeah sure...drummer with soul....stupid ass post by non musicians. :eyeroll:

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

How do you gage 'soul' in a drummer's playing? I'm so confused by this. For me, Neil consistently produces catchy drum lines that fit perfectly with the songs. How being a technical drummer is a bad thing?

Instead of flying around and beating the crap out the drums he has to 'feeeeel' the drums....like caressing a puppy right?

Ain't you a bag of sunshine

• Like 3

Somebody crapped in the cornflakes?

But it's true. How do you tell if there's 'soul' in drumming? To me it sounds ridiculous. It's like when people tell me AC/DC has soul. I want to smack those people.

But it's true. How do you tell if there's 'soul' in drumming? To me it sounds ridiculous. It's like when people tell me AC/DC has soul. I want to smack those people.

Have a beer instead. Or better yet, :smoke:

Have a beer instead. Or better yet, :smoke:

No thanks. :P

why?

it's unequivocally present on every Bon Scott album, and even a few after that

feel the space between the notes, how they arrive, linger and give way to the next note

^ this is the easiest way I've found to codify 'soul' in terms of language - it really is beyond words to describe

when Rush is good, that kind of soul is there (the drum & bass breakdown in Digital Man or the lengthy jam in the middle of The Weapon) - when they're not (The Big Wheel) they're as sterile as nitrile gloves

• Like 3

why?

feel the space between the notes, how they arrive, linger and give way to the next note

^ this is the easiest way I've found to codify 'soul' in terms of language - it really is beyond words to describe

when Rush is good, that kind of soul is there (the drum & bass breakdown in Digital Man or the lengthy jam in the middle of The Weapon) - when they're not (The Big Wheel) they're as sterile as nitrile gloves

AC/DC has been producing the same stale cookie cutter material that they pump out of their formula for decades. If there really is so much soul in AC/DC songs, why do they all sound the same? Why does it sound like they landed on a formula that sells, and beat it to a pulp? Why does it sound like they haven't had a new idea in decades?

• Like 1

But it's true. How do you tell if there's 'soul' in drumming? To me it sounds ridiculous. It's like when people tell me AC/DC had soul. I want to smack those people.

Fixed big time but you would have to be old to know this... :sigh:

why?

^^^^ This and thank you... :cheers:

why?

AC/DC has been producing the same stale cookie cutter material that they pump out of their formula since 81'. If there really is so much soul in AC/DC songs, why do they all sound the same? Why does it sound like they landed on a formula that sells, and beat it to a pulp? Why does it sound like they haven't had a new idea in decades?

Agreed... :cheers:
  • Like 1

why?

Pretentious cr*p that sounds like it's coming from a rolling stone writer. 'feeeeel the puppy....carrrrrress the puppy'. This is rock...plug it in and wail. Amazing that all these opinions come from people that a) don't play instruments or b) will never get close to Neil's level of talent. Edited by 2112FirstStreet

Neil has never been overrated. I am sure he would be the first to say he's probably not the best drummer in whatever city he's visiting!

Why is he so lauded? Because he's so passionate, inventive, consistent, ambitious and prolific.

I'd say he's the most influential of all time, and deservedly so.

why?

Pretentious cr*p that sounds like it's coming from a rolling stone writer. 'feeeeel the puppy....carrrrrress the puppy'. This is rock...plug it in and wail. Amazing that all these opinions come from people that a) don't play instruments or b) will never get close to Neil's level of talent.

19bf8__894496-american-psycho-and-christian-bale.jpg

• Like 1

why?

AC/DC has been producing the same stale cookie cutter material that they pump out of their formula for decades. If there really is so much soul in AC/DC songs, why do they all sound the same? Why does it sound like they landed on a formula that sells, and beat it to a pulp? Why does it sound like they haven't had a new idea in decades?

I was a teenager in the 80's - Rush and my drums were all I cared about. Well and Genesis. Yes, too. Even some XTC. I digress.

My older friends liked Rush too but LOVED AC/DC. Loved them. I thought AC/DC were ridiculously simple, over-rated, dull, pedestrian. Every song they tried out on me was more awful than the next. I hated them the most. Well and Creedence. And Springsteen. I digress again.

What was really going on? I wasn't 'ready' for 'soul'.

I was too involved emotionally with the technical aspects of this 'new' music I had discovered (i.e. music beyond the radio dial, which had become an instant obsession), and self-teaching myself the drum kit by playing along to Hemispheres and Close To The Edge and Nursery Cryme simply left no room for AC/DC's musical perspective.

Over the next 20 years I discovered jazz, alternative rock, underground DJ's, electronica, noise, ambient, folk, metal, funk, among so many others and simply through this massive exposure, I found myself unexpectedly 'ready' for AC/DC.

So it was, I went to a friend's house one night, and he was watching a videotape of 'Jailbreak'. I rolled my eyes but sat down. By the end of it we were both laughing, but I was also...... totally digging it at the same time.

He could read my reaction, so he played it again. And again. We paused and deconstructed that thing for a good hour, laughing, incredulous, mystified at the fact that something so over the top ridiculous and insane was ever considered 'THE #1 TOUGH GUY BAND' by the goons in high school, played constantly on FM radio, even championed by my older friends so long ago.

THIS was THAT band?

Yes. We watched it again.

I was smitten. This couldn't be. I instantly realized that most people were likely missing the hilarious balls out pomp and circumstance, the 'soul' if you will, and I immediately felt like an insider.

OMG I know what the 'real' AC/DC is! And it's assinine! Even the BAND know it! This is f**kïng great!

At the same time, now that I was open to AC/DC, a deeper respect for those deceptively simple (I mean it, try and play these songs, see if they sound like the records, they won't, not simple) riffs and songs. I started to genuinely like these tunes while still grinning from ear to ear with the silliness.

I would say there are a dozen 'essential' AC/DC songs for me, maybe a few more (and only two or three would be Brian Johnson-era songs).

For me, AC/DC (Bon Scott, vocals) is where they start and stop. 1974-1979.

They may not ever resonate with you. That's fine (I mean I don't really care about Sabbath or ELP. Even early King Crimson.)

Digress the third.

:)

We watched it again.

Edited by ghostworks
  • Like 1

AC/DC created a sound and have done what they want, despite the critics, for over 40 years.

Remind you of another band??

I used to detest AC/DC. And I used to dislike Rush. But many years ago I had a revelation/epithany and discovered that both bands (as different as they are) had created phenomenal timeless songs.

• Like 1

why?

Pretentious cr*p that sounds like it's coming from a rolling stone writer. 'feeeeel the puppy....carrrrrress the puppy'. This is rock...plug it in and wail. Amazing that all these opinions come from people that a) don't play instruments or b) will never get close to Neil's level of talent.

:no:

Groove comes from being intentionally behind the beat, ever so slightly. Neil is a technical genius. But he's no master of tempo.

• Like 1

Neil is not a "pocket" player, but so what? He plays the gig. Rush's music changes too much to establish any lasting sense of groove, and it demands to be right on the click. That's what gives it it's characteristic sound, it's exciting forward momentum and ultimately it's feel (or lack thereof, depending who you ask).

Neil is not a "pocket" player, but so what? He plays the gig. Rush's music changes too much to establish any lasting sense of groove, and it demands to be right on the click. That's what gives it it's characteristic sound, it's exciting forward momentum and ultimately it's feel (or lack thereof, depending who you ask).

Agreed. "Forward momentum" is exactly his style, and it fits the music of RUSH. Anyone that can make JR Flood listenable is obviously hell of a drummer.
  • Like 1

Agreed. "Forward momentum" is exactly his style, and it fits the music of RUSH. Anyone that can make JR Flood listenable is obviously hell of a drummer.

:cheers: