Neil Peart - Most Overrated Drummer Ever

LedRush

I'm still curious to know if it is hard for a drummer to do that because the others just have their guitar, but a drummer has different types of drums in front of him.

The hardest parts for a drummer to learn are coordinating his arms and legs to play different things. I think what you're talking about is playing off the beat.

Yes, but I thought that the drummer is the one who keeps the beat?

In another thread in the Feedback section, someone brought up Digital Man. Listening to it, i didn't notice, but watching it, I could see what I couldn't hear with Neil and his drums. If that makes sense. The Weapon is to me a classic example of what I am talking about - three men each going their own music way - that is what it sounds and looks like to me.

Digital man is the same way. All three playing very different things but they fit together to make a whole. Traditionally, the drummer will set the time, but it also depends on the band as far as exactly what his role will be. That's one of the things that makes Rush more unique is the trade off of roles. For example, Geddy is a very busy bass player. He doesn't just stick to playing root notes and rhythm. He's more of a lead bass player in the context of the band, but he can play the role of traditional bassist and lay down the root notes if the song calls for it. All three are very versatile musicians in this band environment.

• Like 2

Digital man is the same way. All three playing very different things but they fit together to make a whole.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the neck, but I still don't understand how it's done without losing concentration to keep your own beat part But maybe that's because I am not a musician. If I was a musician, it would make sense to me.

Digital man is the same way. All three playing very different things but they fit together to make a whole.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the neck, but I still don't understand how it's done without losing concentration to keep your own beat part But maybe that's because I am not a musician. If I was a musician, it would make sense to me.

You have to understand how music works. It's very mathematical. Everything that a musician does can be written out on charts or in musical notation. Maybe the best way to understand would be to look up some basic music theory lessons online.

Edited by EagleMoon

I think he pretty much concentrates only on his part and assumes the other guys are doing the same. I know when the train wrecks happen that it's usually Neil who gets them all back on the same page.

Neil Peart must be the most overrated drummer ever. He doesn't have any groove, he can't hit all the little fills he pretends are so important, and his overly busy style detracts from the great songs that Rush writes. I love his writings, recommendations, and nuanced political views, but his drumming is just atrocious.

Amen.

• Like 1

HEY THIS THREAD IS FIGHTING WORDS!!! I realize I run the risk of banishment but if I ever find the guy who started this thread I might punch him in the throat...maybe I'd smoke a bowl with him. BUT WE WOULD HAVE WORDS OVER THIS!!!
  • Like 3

HEY THIS THREAD IS FIGHTING WORDS!!! I realize I run the risk of banishment but if I ever find the guy who started this thread I might punch him in the throat...maybe I'd smoke a bowl with him. BUT WE WOULD HAVE WORDS OVER THIS!!!

Nothing says friendship quite like a throat punch...

• Like 1

...or sharing a bowl of soup!

• Like 2

I think he pretty much concentrates only on his part and assumes the other guys are doing the same. I know when the train wrecks happen that it's usually Neil who gets them all back on the same page.

It's easy to do when you don't have to concentrate on smiling or having fun.

• Like 1

Your dinnerware shouldn't burn if you buy good stuff.

• Like 1

Dinnerware...another word for hash-pipe??? :eh:

I'm leaving. :hi:

Don't run away. This was the one thread you came out of the closest and spoke your true feelings about the band.

Stand firm and proud for what you really believe.

Offer her a throat punch (apparently that's the friendly thing to do!).

Or maybe some soup...yes...best to go with that!

Dinnerware...another word for hash-pipe??? :eh:

What are you talking about? You said you'd "smoke a bowl." Bowls shouldn't start smoking unless you're using dinnerware that burns. If that's the case, why would you cook food in one?

• Like 2

Screw that. My bowl is for ME.....and I make sure that it's the LARGER bowl. :yes:

• Like 1

Screw that. My bowl is for ME.....and I make sure that it's the LARGER bowl. :yes:

You need a big one for your haircut.

Wow, dude you crossed a line. We were just having fun here...not cool.

Neil Peart must be the most overrated drummer ever. He doesn't have any groove, he can't hit all the little fills he pretends are so important, and his overly busy style detracts from the great songs that Rush writes. I love his writings, recommendations, and nuanced political views, but his drumming is just atrocious.

Amen.

I thought I was the only one that felt this way.
  • Like 1

Wow, dude you crossed a line. We were just having fun here...not cool.

I made that as a joke.