Neil Peart - Most Overrated Drummer Ever

LedRush

We listen to a lot of Buddy Rich here at the cigar lounge. Yet we know nothing aboot his life. Dose he pretend strangers are long awaited friends???

He claims he can't, but we all know that's bullshit.

Neil is and will always be my favourite drummer... has been since 1976. But, (and this is coming from me, a drummer,) he really is over-rated. Not by miles, but he is. He is a great rock drummer, one of the best, for sure and perfect for Rush. But, if you put him up against people like Mike Mangini, Mike Portnoy, Tony Royster Jr., Dave Weckl and especially, Thomas Lang... look out. No comparison. Google "Thomas Lang drum solo" on the Youtubes... you will be in shock. He is WAY better than even Buddy Rich was at his peak. Try this one -

That was nuts!

It's like he's very precisely tap dancing, performing brain surgery, and firing a sub machine all at the same time!

Don't know how well he'd fit in with what Geddy & Alex would write in the future but that guy is incredible to say the least.

How the hell could 67 people given him a thumbs down (over there on YouTube)?!! Deaf idiots!

• Like 1

Neil is and will always be my favourite drummer... has been since 1976. But, (and this is coming from me, a drummer,) he really is over-rated. Not by miles, but he is. He is a great rock drummer, one of the best, for sure and perfect for Rush. But, if you put him up against people like Mike Mangini, Mike Portnoy, Tony Royster Jr., Dave Weckl and especially, Thomas Lang... look out. No comparison. Google "Thomas Lang drum solo" on the Youtubes... you will be in shock. He is WAY better than even Buddy Rich was at his peak. Try this one -

That was nuts!

It's like he's very precisely tap dancing, performing brain surgery, and firing a sub machine all at the same time!

Don't know how well he'd fit in with what Geddy & Alex would write in the future but that guy is incredible to say the least.

How the hell could 67 people given him a thumbs down (over there on YouTube)?!! Deaf idiots!

Because even though he's incredibly technically proficient it all starts to sound the same rather quickly. A lot of these well studied Berkely Music School chop monsters nowadays tend to sound the same to my ears: precise, tons of notes perfectly executed and very cold and extremely dull.

I'd take Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings any day: simple and heartbreakingly beautiful. I nearly weep every time I hear it.

• Like 2

That was nuts!

Because even though he's incredibly technically proficient it all starts to sound the same rather quickly. A lot of these well studied Berkely Music School chop monsters nowadays tend to sound the same to my ears: precise, tons of notes perfectly executed and very cold and extremely dull.

I'd take Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings any day: simple and heartbreakingly beautiful. I nearly weep every time I hear it.

Hence, my sentence commenting on fitting in with Geddy & Alex.

It doesn't matter if the next drummer is better than Neil or not. It only matters if he/she fits in with what Geddy & Alex write.

This is for everyone: Many drummers are "better" than Neil. So what?

• Like 1

Art I-Will-f***ing-Kill-You Blakey

Theres a photo in the Blue Note book of Blakey and he has a look on his face like, "I am gonna kill that Muthafucka." He has a drink in one hand and with back to the camera Philly Joe Jones looks like hes trying to reason with Blakey that he shouldn't kick the guys ass. I can just imagine what those cats were really like.

• Like 1

That was nuts!

Hence, my sentence commenting on fitting in with Geddy & Alex.

It doesn't matter if the next drummer is better than Neil or not. It only matters if he/she fits in with what Geddy & Alex write.

This is for everyone: Many drummers are "better" than Neil. So what?

Exactly. It's a particular amalgamation that makes a band special. A unique blend of elements.

Dare I say it...Chemistry?

Theres a photo in the Blue Note book of Blakey and he has a look on his face like, "I am gonna kill that Muthafucka." He has a drink in one hand and with back to the camera Philly Joe Jones looks like hes trying to reason with Blakey that he shouldn't kick the guys ass. I can just imagine what those cats were really like.

I get the impression that Blakey was HARD and would whoop yo' ass if he felt it was needed.

Art "I'll bet you thought this bass pedal couldn't fit up yer arse but we'll give it a try muthafucka" Blakey!

This is rhe pic. Sorry dont know how to post img's

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WlwTb7DGZv4/UexUrkplwgI/AAAAAAAAWi0/qjCpHpuaaHY/s1600/Philly+Joe+Jones+-+with+Blakey+-+Big+Hands.jpg

Edited by Digital Dad

Of course he was cocky. He's Buddy Goddamn Rich. It ain't cocky if you're backing it up.

Louie Bellson was just as good and not an as-hole.

Have to disagree. Bellson was awesome...maybe even more musical but Rich was a force of nature.

We can agree to disagree, but the sweaty c-nt of Buddy Rich turned me off to him. :)

OK if we are talking Buddy Rich then end of conversation. There will never be another Buddy. He was a supreme talent from a very young age. His technical proficiency was unmatched. I saw him live a number of times. Every time I saw him, it made me want to play the drums even more...and made me want to quit playing the drums. After witnessing his performance it would leave me feeling "helpless". There was no way I would ever be able to come close to anything he did. He was a prick with his band. The most demanding boss out there. But he was actually a very nice guy if he wanted to be. Watch all his appearances on the Tonight Show with johnny Carson. Very entertaining. I met him once and he was super nice and charming - this after his tour manager physically manhandled me for getting too close.
  • Like 2

OK if we are talking Buddy Rich then end of conversation. There will never be another Buddy. He was a supreme talent from a very young age. His technical proficiency was unmatched. I saw him live a number of times. Every time I saw him, it made me want to play the drums even more...and made me want to quit playing the drums. After witnessing his performance it would leave me feeling "helpless". There was no way I would ever be able to come close to anything he did. He was a prick with his band. The most demanding boss out there. But he was actually a very nice guy if he wanted to be. Watch all his appearances on the Tonight Show with johnny Carson. Very entertaining. I met him once and he was super nice and charming - this after his tour manager physically manhandled me for getting too close.

What else is there to say really.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omID1prJHFo

Buddy Rich was a talented drummer. He was also a cocky rat pack as-hole (aside from the hilarious rants above).

He had a fabulous vocabulary. Sounds like he new 6 words. Knuckle dragging drummer. :codger:

All I can say is that you're making an ignorant and ill informed comment based on that tape (and there are other tapes too). Y'all are soft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omID1prJHFo

Buddy Rich was a talented drummer. He was also a cocky rat pack as-hole (aside from the hilarious rants above).

He had a fabulous vocabulary. Sounds like he new 6 words. Knuckle dragging drummer. :codger:

All I can say is that you're making an ignorant and ill informed comment based on that tape (and there are other tapes too). Y'all are soft.

"Soft"? Nonsense. Imagine that being your boss despite how skilled or knowledgable he is. Despite how nice he potentially can be. Imagine that being your boss.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze