Neil Peart - Most Overrated Drummer Ever

LedRush

Neil Peart must be the most overrated drummer ever. He doesn't have any groove, he can't hit all the little fills he pretends are so important, and his overly busy style detracts from the great songs that Rush writes. I love his writings, recommendations, and nuanced political views, but his drumming is just atrocious. Edited by LedRush
  • Like 11

Neil Peart must be the most overrated drummer ever. He doesn't have any groove, he can't hit all the little fills he pretends are so important, and his overly busy style detracts from the great songs that Rush rights. I love his writings, recommendations, and nuanced political views, but his drumming is just atrocious.

:tempted:

• Like 3

Led, what song do you think he drums the worst on?

I would say Xanadu or Tom Sawyer. He started to get a lot better on T4E when he changed his style, though he still isn't very good.

He does seem like a very nice man, though...very down to earth. I almost feel bad criticizing him.

• Like 8

Led, what song do you think he drums the worst on?

I would say Xanadu or Tom Sawyer. He started to get a lot better on T4E when he changed his style, though he still isn't very good.

He does seem like a very nice man, though...very down to earth. I almost feel bad criticizing him.

No you don't feel bad at all. You hate his guts. I can tell.

• Like 1

Neil Peart must be the most overrated drummer ever. He doesn't have any groove, he can't hit all the little fills he pretends are so important, and his overly busy style detracts from the great songs that Rush writes. I love his writings, recommendations, and nuanced political views, but his drumming is just atrocious.

Do you guys think that it would have been better if John Rutsey stayed?

• Like 3

LMAO! Yet he remains probably the most influential rock drummer of all time. This is a troll post if I ever saw one...

Being influential does not mean that you can't be overrated.

The Beatles were influential, yet they are overrated.

• Like 5

LMAO! Yet he remains probably the most influential rock drummer of all time. This is a troll post if I ever saw one...

And you can still be a Rush fan, yet be honest about the band members.

• Like 1

That's a very good point. Michael Jackson is another example.

He's only over-rated if you go by all out technical ability.(and even then he's got a ton) When you combine technique, creativity, and style he is rated right where he belongs. Among the all time greats. He is one of very few drummers in history that developed a style that captured the imaginations of a whole generation or two of young drummers and listeners. That speaks legend in my mind.

Edited by presto123
  • Like 7

I also find it funny that threads like these are almost always started by non-drummers.

Are you trying to say that non-drummers have little say about drumming and drumming techniques? I've played on a few kits. I think I know what it takes.

And as far as technical ability goes, I think there's a lot to be said for where the band might have gone with John Rutsey. Rutsey could at least do basic timing. Neil is sloppy.

• Like 3