Neil Peart - Most Overrated Drummer Ever

LedRush

No, it's not...you should learn how to read.

Says the guy with the wrong answer. And who didn't actually read the part where the origin of the thread was explicitly mentioned.

Okay, honestly, no...no he's not.

He's dedicated decades of his life to his instrument. Myriads of other rock drummers got lost in partying and drugs and can't play with half the skill and precision that Peart does. Neil could've followed this path but he didn't. He continuously worked and practiced his craft, even going so far as to learn new techniques and even taking lessons even through late in his career. At 63 years old, even with arthritis, he can play everything he could in the 70s. He still plays with a precision and timing that very few drummers can match.

If you want to talk about overrated drummers, talk about Lars Ulrich or Ringo Starr. You could go through hundreds of overrated drummers before you got to Peart.

Edited by AnEggplant

How is this thread still alive?

Neil Peart must be the most overrated drummer ever. He doesn't have any groove, he can't hit all the little fills he pretends are so important, and his overly busy style detracts from the great songs that Rush writes. I love his writings, recommendations, and nuanced political views, but his drumming is just atrocious.

Bottom line: The band would be better if it had different members.

Amen brother!

even if you're kidding, this is ridiculous

wow

This whole thread is tongue in cheek. You need to read it that way.

hence the 'even if you're kidding' caveat

if it has to be explained = joke fail

thanks for playing

Shouldn't you be saying that to yourself? It was YOUR joke. ;)

• Like 1

This thread belongs in Grand Designs.

no, see, if it was in GD, then this whole thread would be tongue in cheek and everyone would read it that way

no fun

:LOL:

I love Rush, but I would take Jeff Porcaro over Peart any day of the week.

Peart is great, I appreciate his drumming. Marvellous musician! But I appreciate him more as a lyricist than as a drummer.

Geddy is my favourite member of this band anyway.

• Like 1

I think Neil is a great drummer, but I do admit he has no soul to his playing anymore. I think at one time he did, but now he's all technical, like Carl Palmer.

He barely registered on CA. Even live, I hardly get anything from him on those songs.

he's great playing with the band. but dude can no longer make an exciting solo to save his life.

oh.......hi :hi:

Mick

Buddy came back!

Now go to the unpopular opinions and just have it out with everybody.

• Like 2

he's great playing with the band. but dude can no longer make an exciting solo to save his life.

Mick

Buddy came back!

Now go to the unpopular opinions and just have it out with everybody.

Mick is the TRF King of Unpopular Opinions!

• Like 2

Mick

Where the hell you been!?

in solitary confinement........lol.

Really just taking personal time off.

Mick

How do you gage 'soul' in a drummer's playing? I'm so confused by this. For me, Neil consistently produces catchy drum lines that fit perfectly with the songs. How being a technical drummer is a bad thing?