What Is Your Favourite Album By The Beatles?

The Cat 3

What Is Your Favourite Album By The Beatles?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Album By The Beatles?

• Please Please Me
    • With the Beatles
    • A Hard Days Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • The Beatles (The White Album)
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let It Be

Rubber Soul. Where the old Beatles started to become the new Beatles.

I vote Revolver, for the same reason. To me, it was really where they started going through a noticeable transformation. Perfect mix of early sensibilitities and the start of a new direction. Certainly one of their strongest collections of songs.

Eleanor Rigby is absolutely otherworldly. Might be the world's perfect pop song. (Pop song, he says? With no rhythm section? And no guitar? Yes...I do say so, indeed).

Interesting. For me, "in my life" off rubber soul is in my top 5 pop songs all time. You also get nowhere man and Norwegian wood which both show where Lennon is heading. If McCartney is your man you get Michelle and drive my car. I love revolver too, though. They're like permanent waves/moving pictures to me. A real continuation of each other.

• Like 4

I love the Beatles!!

As I've stated before, I saw that first Ed Sullivan appearance by the Fab Four Feb 9, 1964 and that changed my life.

I have the complete set of albums that came in the black box. The albums the Beatles released in the UK were different than what was released in North America. (remove a few songs from the UK version and make another album out of it seems to be what happened..)

My favorite has changed over the years, but I voted for Rubber Soul (the North American version). I love the pre Sgt Pepper albums better these days. When I was 9, my Dad bought me a record player. I was allowed to pick an album and Rubber Soul was my first album - I played it constantly. The best part was my Dad was old school loving classical music and disliking my music. But, Rubber Soul helped bridge that musical gap. He would allow me to play it on his stereo, and we would sit together enjoying it. Those are some memories I will treasure the rest of my life, especially whenever I get sad since I no longer have my Dad alive.

• Like 3

I don't like thinking about this so I have an automatic go to album - The Beatles.

Aw C'mon...I've been waiting for your story.

Speaking of "The Beatles"...have you heard the mono remaster from 2009?

I listened to it today and heard things I'd never heard before.

Wow, just wow.

OK. When I was a wee lad, at bedtime, I would put an album on the turntable and listen to music as I fell to sleep. My favorite album to do this with was The White Album. I couldn't listen to side 1 and side 2 continuously, so it was always side 1 and side 3. In a way, side 1 and side 3 is my edited version of the album. Anyway, I find The White Album a fascinating musical journey. It's all over the place. It pretty much covers every popular genre that was relevant at the time. I know some people don't like the "throwaway odds and ends" feel of the album and that it should have been edited down and I understand that opinion. But for me, it was all about the journey, peaks and valleys, warts and all. Walking down the middle of the road and every once in a while taking a stroll in the gutter. It's a dark album. It's a light album. It's inventive and mainstream. When I was discovering the Beatles and their diversity and each member's personality and how they contributed to the band The White Album made the biggest impression. The irony is this is when they started to fracture.

Second is the now cliched choice of Revolver. In a way, it's a mini-White Album. Majestic pop songs and throwaway ditties. Songs, for whatever reason, I can't get out of my head.

• Like 1

I love the Beatles!!

As I've stated before, I saw that first Ed Sullivan appearance by the Fab Four Feb 9, 1964 and that changed my life.

I have the complete set of albums that came in the black box. The albums the Beatles released in the UK were different than what was released in North America. (remove a few songs from the UK version and make another album out of it seems to be what happened..)

My favorite has changed over the years, but I voted for Rubber Soul (the North American version). I love the pre Sgt Pepper albums better these days. When I was 9, my Dad bought me a record player. I was allowed to pick an album and Rubber Soul was my first album - I played it constantly. The best part was my Dad was old school loving classical music and disliking my music. But, Rubber Soul helped bridge that musical gap. He would allow me to play it on his stereo, and we would sit together enjoying it. Those are some memories I will treasure the rest of my life, especially whenever I get sad since I no longer have my Dad alive.

Beautiful story...thank you for sharing it here.

• Like 1

I don't like thinking about this so I have an automatic go to album - The Beatles.

Wow, just wow.

OK. When I was a wee lad, at bedtime, I would put an album on the turntable and listen to music as I fell to sleep. My favorite album to do this with was The White Album. I couldn't listen to side 1 and side 2 continuously, so it was always side 1 and side 3. In a way, side 1 and side 3 is my edited version of the album. Anyway, I find The White Album a fascinating musical journey. It's all over the place. It pretty much covers every popular genre that was relevant at the time. I know some people don't like the "throwaway odds and ends" feel of the album and that it should have been edited down and I understand that opinion. But for me, it was all about the journey, peaks and valleys, warts and all. Walking down the middle of the road and every once in a while taking a stroll in the gutter. It's a dark album. It's a light album. It's inventive and mainstream. When I was discovering the Beatles and their diversity and each member's personality and how they contributed to the band The White Album made the biggest impression. The irony is this is when they started to fracture.

Second is the now cliched choice of Revolver. In a way, it's a mini-White Album. Majestic pop songs and throwaway ditties. Songs, for whatever reason, I can't get out of my head.

I love the way you describe music. Not just here, but throughout this forum. They could make an "Almost Famous" type of movie based on your thoughts, memories and ideas.

Wow, just wow.

I love the way you describe music. Not just here, but throughout this forum. They could make an "Almost Famous" type of movie based on your thoughts, memories and ideas.

Thanks for the compliment. I don't think my thoughts are worthy of movie!

I love the enthusiasm of this forum. It's just not about Rush, It's about love of music.

And let me compliment you on your input. I can't begin to tell how many times your marathons inspired me to re-discover music or listen to something for the first time.

:cheers:

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

Born To Run? Maybe.

Hemispheres? Eew, not close to the low standard Beatles albums, let alone the best.

That aside, I couldn't possibly select just one Beatles album above all others. But I do find that Rubber Soul gets more spins than any other.

So Rubber Soul. But in all honesty, I could pick any of them. Even Sgt. Pepper, my least favourite, features several of my all time favourite songs by any band ever.

• Like 1

So Rubber Soul. But in all honesty, I could pick any of them. Even Sgt. Pepper, my least favourite, features several of my all time favourite songs by any band ever.

That is pretty much how I feel about it. Start the same poll tomorrow, I could easily go with "Beatles For Sale", "Rubber Soul", "Revolver", "Help!"...you get the idea! :)
  • Like 1

The Beatles is, in fact, my favorite studio album ever. Sure, Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9 aren't really songs at all, but besides those two, it's basically every genre of music you'd ever want on one release.

I don't know the lyrics to many lullabies, so I used to sing Blackbird to my kids when I rocked them to sleep. And in my own life the lyrics of that song have buoyed me many times.

"All your life. You were only waiting for this moment to arise."

• Like 3

This will be difficult : Abbey Road. Revolver, Rubber Soul, Beatles for Sale. One of those.

AND The Long and Winding Road, which was recorded on the day I was born :)

• Like 1

On a side note regarding The White Album, I love how the whole album is chaotic, as if the band cut the tracklist down to the most likely favourites, songs like Don't Pass Me By or Good Night might never have been released, and those two always get ravaged in the reviews I have read. And both are among my favourites.

For people with an eclectic taste, I think they find joy in every song individually. Not a note out of place for me. Song for song, it is perfect. I really, honestly, truthfully love the whole thing, and every song gets played separately.

• Like 2

On a side note regarding The White Album, I love how the whole album is chaotic, as if the band cut the tracklist down to the most likely favourites, songs like Don't Pass Me By or Good Night might never have been released, and those two always get ravaged in the reviews I have read. And both are among my favourites.

For people with an eclectic taste, I think they find joy in every song individually. Not a note out of place for me. Song for song, it is perfect. I really, honestly, truthfully love the whole thing, and every song gets played separately.

With the exception of Cry, Baby Cry side 4 makes this album a miss. Replace the rest of the side and have Revolution be the single version ending the album and you have pretty much a perfect album.

• Like 1

Revolver. Eleanor Rigby, I'm Only Sleeping, and Tomorrow Never Knows being the high points. The Beatles and Help! are close behind. If compilations were allowed, Past Masters Vol. II would be a serious contender.
  • Like 2

With the exception of Cry, Baby Cry side 4 makes this album a miss. Replace the rest of the side and have Revolution be the single version ending the album and you have pretty much a perfect album.

That is still a very impressive number of songs to love for a double album!

I think maybe having obsessive compulsive disorder, I find an attention to detail that leads me to over analysing a lot of things about music. For this reason, Revolution 9 is a fascinating experience, and one I really enjoy.

• Like 1

Magical Mystery Tour. Why ? Not sure but I can tell you that when CD's were first introduced, MMT was the first Beatles CD that I bought. Blue Jay Way :notworthy: George

Let It Be Naked - Love it

Edited by custom55
  • Like 4