I Think You Guys And Dolls Are Bad Gamblers If You Don't Love "FACE UP!"

RUSHHEAD666

Not sure if "Face Up" ever had it's own thread before and I'm too lazy to research it.

All I know as a drummer is that intro to this song is off the Neil Peart charts!!!

Come on! You Rush Fans may HATE this song but the drum fills in the beginning of this song are amazing!

Lot's of "Roll The Bones" Haters are on here.

Don't get me wrong I hate the rap part but the rest of the album is great!

Even "Bet Your Life" or "Heresy."

I bet the Rush Fans on here who hate "Roll The Bones" love "Vapor Trails."

VT should actually stand for VD.

You know what that means.

You don't want to catch it.

If "Vapor Trails" was a 300 pound black marlin, I would still throw it back.

Cut and Run?

I prefer "Cut To The Chase"

Signed,

"Counterparts"

I will be single for the rest of my life.

• Like 4

Earl, no one denies these songs great musicianship.

But some of these songs suck regardless of the talent.

After all, you do dislike Dream Theater.

• Like 2

I think Earl is shit-stirring....

Face Up contains what is quite possibly one of the worst choruses ever put to tape:

Face up...Face up or you can only back down

Face up...Hit the target or you better hit the ground

Face up...There's still time to turn the game around

Face up...Turn it up

Or turn that wild card down

Face up...Turn it up

Should have been a career-ender right there.

• Like 7

Sorry RUSHHEAD but I used a 0-4 point scale (4: great, 3: good, 2: okay, 1: terrible) and the album ended up with a 1.8 average. No song got 4 points and two songs got 0 points. Far from hitting the target. But don't worry, nothing matters and everyone's right when it comes to likes and dislikes
  • Like 1

Face Up's one of the better tracks on RTB, one of the few where they almost make me believe they've become a POWER trio again. That song rocks relatively hard and doesn't deserve the wimpy production of RTB.
  • Like 1

I think Earl is shit-stirring....

Face Up contains what is quite possibly one of the worst choruses ever put to tape:

Face up...Face up or you can only back down

Face up...Hit the target or you better hit the ground

Face up...There's still time to turn the game around

Face up...Turn it up

Or turn that wild card down

Face up...Turn it up

Should have been a career-ender right there.

Neil is like, "See what I did there? And there? Card game puns, see???"

Yes, Neil, very clever. :facepalm:

• Like 3

I rarely listen to "F. Up", but must admit that it has some killer drum fills. Roll the Bones is a high point in Neil's drumming.

Yes, "F Up" seems to be a perfect abbreviation/nickname for that song. :P

• Like 4

Face Up sucks. it's the definition of filler.

Lazy. Boring. Musical padding.

Mick

It stinks too and should be an embarrassment to all of them to be honest. Terrible and towards the bottom of the barrel for them although they have produced worse... :|
  • Like 2

Mick

It stinks too and should be an embarrassment to all of them to be honest. Terrible and towards the bottom of the barrel for them although they have produced worse... :|

I mean some will disagree. but the songwriting in the 90's was some of Rush's Worst.

Face up was a warning, lol

Mick

Mick

I mean some will disagree. but the songwriting in the 90's was some of Rush's Worst.

Face up was a warning, lol

Mick

Superconductor was the warning shot fired. It was the worst song to that point in my opinion and it would get worse sadly... :sigh:
  • Like 1

Mick

They have?

Oh yeah...Stick It Out.

Mick

They have?

Oh yeah...Stick It Out.

That's one but I am not going to name them all. So little time and so much to do... :)

If only every band's worst output was on the same level of Face Up...

I haven't mentioned it in a while but IMO much of RUSH's worst songs are still far better than many "good" songs bands put out...Tai Shan included.

• Like 1

Face Up is worse than most bands worst.

How can the worst of Rush be praised when the best of bands like Toto gets slagged off on this forum? Plenty of bands consistently write bad material, but most of these bands are not Rush. And this is a song worthy of the worst of the worst, regardless of whatever skill can be found on the recording.

Face Up is not mediocre, is is beyond awful, and considering what this band is capable of, inexcusable.

Some bands scrap entire albums worth of material because they know it is subpar. During the nineties, Rush should have done this.

• Like 2

How can the worst of Rush be praised when the best of bands like Toto gets slagged off on this forum? Plenty of bands consistently write bad material, but most of these bands are not Rush. And this is a song worthy of the worst of the worst, regardless of whatever skill can be found on the recording.

Face Up is not mediocre, is is beyond awful, and considering what this band is capable of, inexcusable.

Some bands scrap entire albums worth of material because they know it is subpar. During the nineties, Rush should have done this.

Then Rush would have been mostly inactive for a decade, lol

Mick

Then Rush would have been mostly inactive for a decade, lol

Mick

Artistically speaking, they were inactive the whole time anyway!

VT to CA are infinitely more impressive, taste aside, they worked their butts off.

RTB could be a half decent N*Sync album.

• Like 2

I haven't mentioned it in a while but IMO much of RUSH's worst songs are still far better than many "good" songs bands put out.

That's true. But they're all still songs I don't like. One band's best vs another's average vs whatnot, the only thing that really matters is if I like it.